• 6(current)
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC
Just some information for those wondering about the power consumption of the Ouya.

At idle open : 5w

On sleep : 1w

While playing Avatar movie in 1080p : 8w

While playing some emulator game : 8w

Never went up more then 10w.

Great little device once you tweak it !
I just purchased T-R42 with RK3188 cpu / Mali400 quad GPU. The video playback is very choppy even when using MX player instead of XBMC. It is flashed with a custom rom (wasser 1.2.4.). I believe he did a good job, but it is a hardware issue.

Does anyone know how the OUYA / Tegra3 compares to the RK3188 / Mali400 in terms of video playback?
(2014-01-19, 01:05)Jethro Wrote: Does anyone know how the OUYA / Tegra3 compares to the RK3188 / Mali400 in terms of video playback?

You realize that the entire first post of this thread is dedicated to talking about how good the performance of the Ouya is with XBMC, right?
Hello forum..

So, I went into the hardware archives in my garage and dusted off my OUYA after reading how developers have improved upon some XBMC performance flaws particularly digital audio pass-through and video stuttering issues.  SPMC unofficial fork seemed to be the most popular edition based upon users in the XBMC forums... so I gave it a try!

It seems as though all of the video file extensions in my library(.avi, .mkv, .m2ts..etc) now play very well and look beautiful on my 55in, but I was lead to believe in my reading that SPMC had fixed the pass-through issues.  Apparently the OUYA team has failed to get DTS/DD digital audio formats licensed on the box.  Well, video files containing digital audio still will not play AT ALL unless you disable all digital audio settings and specifically select HDMI with the 5.1 speaker setting.  This is the ONLY setting that will work, regardless of your particular speaker configuration. I tested on my 7.1 setup.  I will admit this is an improvement, at least I can play all of my files using multi channel PCM but this is still a workaround not a fix.

I appreciate the developer Koying for all of his hard work but it fell short of what I was expecting.  But.. at least all video plays flawless and well enough for analog audio systems ...i.e., bedroom, or on-the-go in the camper or hotel room.  Not a bad deal for $99 bucks!
I fail to see how passthrough requires a license.

The device you passthrough to decodes, and needs the license.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-20, 09:57)nickr Wrote: I fail to see how passthrough requires a license.

The device you passthrough to decodes, and needs the license.

It doesn't.. But you are aware that the OUYA had to remove on device decoding from it's XBMC app due to license issues, right?

Sorry if you misunderstood, or if I seemed to post any misinformation. But as stated in my post, SPMC multichannel AC3/DTS HDMI audio pass-through is not working as I hoped it would.
(2014-01-20, 04:36)CpTHOOK Wrote: I was lead to believe in my reading that SPMC had fixed the pass-through issues.
(2014-01-20, 11:13)CpTHOOK Wrote: as stated in my post, SPMC multichannel AC3/DTS HDMI audio pass-through is not working as I hoped it would.
Pass-through AC3/DTS is still not implemented in Ouya's custom Android OS/firmware, (and neither HDMI CEC support), these are well known OS/firmware issues on Ouya.

However, in November last year when Ouya last year announced “Abominable Snowman”, the latest system update release, they said that they will now begin prioritizing media playback features for future updates.

So apparently the Ouya development team are at least fully aware, and now claim to be finally dedicating developer resources for this issue and other issues that affect XBMC users on Ouya.

But there is still no news on AC3/DTS software decoding, so no idea if they plan to start selling license keys separately, like Raspberry Pi, does or other solution.

Personally I think that it could be a great idea if Ouya began selling a physical remote control as an option, and that would include codec licenses like AC3 and DTS
Hello All!

I'm very seriously contemplating an OUYA for use as a Retro Rom and Media Player for a friend of mine.
Unfortunately she is not in the slightest tech savvy. So before I go ahead an purchase it I have a couple of questions.

1) Can videos be played off of different USB drives (NTFS format) within XBMC?
--> If so is it very hard to access/locate the files located on the flashdrives? (Again, not tech savvy)

2) If it is to complicated within XBMC is there a way to EASILY locate these files within the OUYA OS?

Thanks so much on any insight you may provide!
TSSPat.
Hey TS , my advice is the first day you get her it. Go over her house and set it up for her. Both the ouya and xbmc can be confusing, i spent like 90 hours researching stuff and i finally got my HT the way i like it.

I have 2 giant external drives, 1.5TB and 2TB , One of them is a WD My Passport, other one is a Seagate my expansion and they work fine . You don't need a Tech savvy to access the hard drives, but you do need to know how to. Basically from the ouya ( which btw sometime works sometimes doesn't, and might require a hard shutdown [ 5second press ] and reboot, afterwards it should work ) How to check if it read the usb? Go to Manage > System > Storage , and go down you should see your external drive.
Now you can't access the hard drive directly from the ouya, there's no built in file explorer , so you'll have to go Discover and search for FilePwn.
After Filepwn is downloaded, Go Play > FilePwm > Parent Folder > Parent Folder ( Again ) > Mnt > Usb Drive and there it is.

I'm assuming you know about XBMC , it is the same case as pc . Go to files > Add videos > Browse > Root file system > Mnt > Usbdrive and there you are. I believe if it was her she'd go straight Browse > USB which won't add files . you have to do it the way i just mentioned.

So it's not easy at all to figure this all out by yourself, But it's easy to get the hang of it.

Gluck!
OUYA is 69CDN + Free shipping on Canadian Amazon

Deal Link: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00C...CXKZN6B3N9WHF4
Price: 69.99
Savings: 30%
Thats a great deal!
how well does this system handle blu-ray that need to convert dts to 2 channel.

I am looking at this possibly for my bedroom. Also have a lot of dvd;s that are mpeg-2.

Just trying to see how well this might work.

Thanks.
There have been problems with ouya and mpeg2, but at sd framesize it may be ok.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You know I really want to like my ouya but...the issues are big no hdmi cec, limited ir receiver support , playback is not flawless audio sync issues are common semper seems to crash more than it should almost seems like boxee box with promises about fixes coming , but on the other hand my issues should be getting fixed and if they do get fixed i will love this little box and buy 3 more
I like my Ouya, I use it for movies only, seems to work well, no real issues. I find the remote easier to use then most of the android remotes! As for audio, I just play thru the tv, no home theatre hooked up yet as its just a spare setup in recroom. For $69.00 its a great little media player, most boxes have some sort of hicup flaws!
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC1