• 6(current)
Apple TV news
adefa Wrote:This parted output is from booting my ATV hard drive in my PC from internal ata.

Code:
trevors@AppleTV:~$ sudo parted /dev/hda
[sudo] password for trevors:
GNU Parted 1.7.1
Using /dev/hda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
1      20.5kB  25.0MB  25.0MB  fat32        primary  boot
2      25.0MB  50.0MB  25.0MB  hfs+         primary      
3      50.0MB  75.0MB  25.0MB  hfs+         primary      
4      75.0MB  38.9GB  38.8GB  ext3         primary      
5      38.9GB  40.0GB  1108MB  linux-swap   primary      

(parted)

I have my atv hooked up to my TV using component cables. But at this point I'm still in text mode.

Well, it looks fine, parted is the normal installed not patched (Parted 1.7.1), atvrecv is missing but that because this version is not patched and does not display atvrecv.

So this is from your atv drive, connected to internal ata booting MythBuntu 7.10? It says hda. The standard Ubuntu/MythBuntu install will not show hdx but sdx for all disk devices, ata, scsi, usb, etc.

So what did you install? Let me see "uname a".
annagel Wrote:OK so I went and installed the alsa patch...everything seemed to go ok....though I was also trying to get component working which didn't go so well....is this possible? I thought it was but then I went back and read the what was working thread and it sounded more like component was working as composite rather than component.
Andrew

Where did you pull the alsa patch. I don't see any downloads yet on the wiki. I added a section today to patch the realtek and enable analog audio?
adefa,
And also just the default boot from grubs menu.lst.

Mine is

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=d439b2bb-deec-4c07-b2bc-d97aca8c44f3 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet
well this one makes me feel stupid....I got no display because one of the cables was unplugged and my TV will show nothing if it is only getting a signal from 2 out of 3 of the component cables!

So component is check, now no audio so I definitely messed something up in the alsa re-install but I will start looking at that tomorrow

thanks for the help, even though it did end up being my stupidity that caused my problems!

Andrew
davilla Wrote:Where did you pull the alsa patch. I don't see any downloads yet on the wiki. I added a section today to patch the realtek and enable analog audio?

Pulled it off of the link you put up here the other day.
annagel Wrote:Pulled it off of the link you put up here the other day.

The info in the wiki and patch in downloads was done today. It's a rebuilt of linux-ubuntu-module with deb install. patch was built fresh from the source install so it should apply clean against the 2.6.22-14 based realtek.c. Came right on after reboot. Look for "hda_codec: Detected AppleTV RealTek Subsystem ID" in dmesg.

I'm doing the IR patch now, 4 hours into some deb kernel build and it just barfed, died and kicked me out of one ssh session. Maybe I should not ignore the funny grunting sound the hard drive is making every now and then Wink Upstairs to see what happened.
davilla Wrote:I'm doing the IR patch now, 4 hours into some deb kernel build and it just barfed, died and kicked me out of one ssh session. Maybe I should not ignore the funny grunting sound the hard drive is making every now and then Wink Upstairs to see what happened.

Well, that's "game over" for that drive. Does not even spin up. It's reinstall time to another.
davilla Wrote:Well, it looks fine, parted is the normal installed not patched (Parted 1.7.1), atvrecv is missing but that because this version is not patched and does not display atvrecv.

So this is from your atv drive, connected to internal ata booting MythBuntu 7.10? It says hda. The standard Ubuntu/MythBuntu install will not show hdx but sdx for all disk devices, ata, scsi, usb, etc.

So what did you install? Let me see "uname a".

Code:
root@AppleTV:~/work/hfs_support# parted /dev/hda
GNU Parted 1.8.8
Using /dev/hda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print                                                            
Model: FUJITSU MHW2040AT (ide)
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags  
1      20.5kB  25.0MB  25.0MB  fat32        primary  boot  
2      25.0MB  50.0MB  25.0MB  hfs+         primary  atvrecv
3      50.0MB  75.0MB  25.0MB  hfs+         primary        
4      75.0MB  38.9GB  38.8GB  ext3         primary        
5      38.9GB  40.0GB  1108MB  linux-swap   primary        

root@AppleTV:~/work/hfs_support# uname -a
Linux AppleTV 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

root@AppleTV:~/work/hfs_support# hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

Model=FUJITSU MHW2040AT, FwRev=0081000C, SerialNo=K00FT81298S1
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=78138047
IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
AdvancedPM=yes: mode=0x80 (128) WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: unknown:  ATA/ATAPI-2,3,4,5,6,7

* signifies the current active mode

## ## End Default Options ##

title           Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root            (hd0,3)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=45a9e00c-55b9-484f-b0bd-59ddbbe29545 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

Can't think of any other info to provide you.

This is the Apple TV hard drive, using a 2.5->3.5 adapter, on my main IDE controller on my PC. Booting from it.
Well, it looks perfectly fine aside from the hda vs sda difference. The only other difference I can think of is you are using a 2.5 -> 3.5 adapter to install but that should not cause any differences. I generally use a 2.5 to USB adapter, can boot from it too. This reduces the connect/disconnect cycle to the internal cable. The internal cable is fragile and others have see it start to get flaky over time with rough handling.

Since you can boot on a normal PC, that means there's a grub MBR on the drive. That should only make the time boot longer as efi firmware will ignore the drive at first. After 30-60 seconds efi firmware will eventually boot it. There's a proper EFI MBR in the wiki downloads but if you over-write your current one, you will remove the ability to boot the drive on a normal PC. Make a copy of your current one if you try this.

dd if=/dev/hda of=grub_mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Since I have to do a reinstall anyway, I can do it using a 2.5 -> 3.5 converter and see if I can replicate your problem. My drive was an older one that I guess just finally died, it started making bad drive noises yesterday during a massive kernel deb compile. I'll keep the grub MBR installed too.

It's going to take a bit, I have to dig up a plant (honey do) this morning and do some other things.
ok, installed MythBuntu using a 2.5 -> 3.5 drive adapter. Used recovery.tar.gz from the wiki downloads. Used my original r1 boot.efi.

Since it installed grub, I check the boot on normal PC hardware. X11 did not work as I selected the nvidia binary in the install and the PC hardware only has built in intel video. So screen is blank but I can ssh in.

I see sda, sda1, sda2, sda3, sda4 and sda5 in /dev. Typed "sudo partprobe" which mounts
/dev/sda2 ->/media/Recovery
/dev/sda3 ->/media/OSBoot
/dev/sda4 ->/media/disk

download recovery.tar.gz, extract it and "cp -arp" the contents into /media/OSBoot and /media/Recovery. Add boot.efi into both of the above.

chroot in and do the fix ups for console frame buffer, rebuild the initrd.

Dismount all, shutdown, insert into AppleTV internal. Powerup, about 60 seconds later, I see tux/atv logo, few seconds later into atv-bootloader with tux in upper left corner, atv-bootloader kernel boot (penbuntu) output then search for grub menu.lst and second kernel boot. wait a bit, X11 comes up and Mythfrontend auto starts.

I'm stumped as to why yours is failing to boot the second kernel. Edit the grub menu.lst and remove "quiet splash" from the kernel line. Maybe that will give more info.
davilla,
For the instructions on the wiki I needed to install fakeroot and kernel-wedge
adefa,
I might a fix, I understand the error better. 0x206 pages is the size of the section holding the linux kernel. boot.efi can't alloc memory for it.

I'm at work right now so I can't test it to see if my AppleTV is still ok. I'll need to get you a new build of mach_kernel. I don't want to put it in the download section of atv-bootloader as anything I put there sticks forever.
annagel Wrote:davilla,
For the instructions on the wiki I needed to install fakeroot and kernel-wedge

ack, I'll update the wiki, my previous apt-gets must already installed them.
Ok, I'm at work as well right now. Just let me know how ya wanna schlep the file to me, and I'll test it tonight.
Davilla will you guys eventually just do a distro for the Apple TV or will this remain a mostly manual process? Mine should be home in the next week or so and I'd love to be able to just write an image to a disk and go! Are there IP issues with trying to do that?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV news1