• 7(current)
Realan E-I5 A6-3500 build
Something has to be up. Cleared all the thermal paste off and put new Arctic Silver 5 on and the CPU is 59C right now. Not running any video whatsoever.

Fan is at Level 1 and at 50C.

EDIT: Thing went up to 66C. I set using the Asrock Tuning Utility to Level 1, but the fan speed will jump down then back up to 2500+RPM. Wondering if I should buy a different heatsink.

EDIT2: I think the temp readings on HWMonitor are wrong. CPUTIN says like 45-48C yet the CPU cores show 27-29C. The same goes for AIDA64 Extreme. The CPU temp reads higher than the cores.
(2012-08-03, 01:42)Breakingcustom Wrote: Something has to be up. Cleared all the thermal paste off and put new Arctic Silver 5 on and the CPU is 59C right now. Not running any video whatsoever.

Fan is at Level 1 and at 50C.

EDIT: Thing went up to 66C. I set using the Asrock Tuning Utility to Level 1, but the fan speed will jump down then back up to 2500+RPM. Wondering if I should buy a different heatsink.

EDIT2: I think the temp readings on HWMonitor are wrong. CPUTIN says like 45-48C yet the CPU cores show 27-29C. The same goes for AIDA64 Extreme. The CPU temp reads higher than the cores.

I don't think HWMonitor is wrong. If it was wrong, my CPU fan would have to go up but it doesn't.I can make the core go above 50 when I run Prime, and that's the only time when I hear my fan. It is normal to have different TEMP for CPUTIN and CPU cores. As far as I know, CPUTIN should be just the surface of the processor and usually inaccurate.

You could use RealTemp or CoreTemp to see the temperature if you think HW Monitor or AIDA64 is inaccurate.

Are you using the same heatsink + fan as me?
Yeah the cores were sitting at like 28C, but CPUTIN was 40C. The same was said with AIDA64 Extreme. Yep, I'm using that Silverstone. I just bought the 120mm Thermaltake USB one to put in my entertainment center to suck heat out the back of it.
Hi,
I am looking at building a new HTPC with the E-I7 as the basis. Does any know if it would be possible to adapt the case to fit a full height PCI-e card? I have a quad tuner DVB-S card that I would need to use. This is the card I have ... http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6984-d...-card.html .

Thanks
Ash
(2012-09-28, 00:22)bigash87 Wrote: Hi,
I am looking at building a new HTPC with the E-I7 as the basis. Does any know if it would be possible to adapt the case to fit a full height PCI-e card? I have a quad tuner DVB-S card that I would need to use. This is the card I have ... http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6984-d...-card.html .

Thanks
Ash

Your card is 80mm high and the PCI low-profile bracket is 79.2mm high (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventiona...ht.29_card). Your card is also 150mm long. Normally a low-profile card would be at most 64mm high and 120-168mm long. So, it *might* fit without the bracket but it's really hard to say. I doubt it would fit under the optical drive/hard drive tray. It might take quite a bit of modding. Can you get a different card, one that is low-profile?
I would research and see if people say that card puts off a lot of heat. I know my Ceton InfiniTV Tuner puts off some heat, but I don't have that in my Realan i5 case. I decided to put my tuner in a dedicate machine that would be on all the time (HP Proliant N40L Microserver). Are you looking to put in a SSD or HDD in that case?
I've just read this topic, and i have some questions.
For e-i5 the spec says: M/B Height Under 36mm , Install 1*3.5"HDD or 2*2.5 "HDD
This cooler is 37mm height. Almost ok.
This ssd is 9,5mm height.
A 3.5" hdd is ~26mm.

but I read in the topic that there is 3mm between the cooler and the ssd.
So maybe a 12,5mm 2.5" hdd fits. Not a 3.5" as the spec says. How can it be possible??
Very big difference. 26-9,5=~16mm should be between this ssd and this cooler
(2012-11-24, 23:50)pszab Wrote: I've just read this topic, and i have some questions.
A 3.5" hdd is ~26mm.

So maybe a 12,5mm 2.5" hdd fits. Not a 3.5" as the spec says. How can it be possible??

The spec on the website is not correct. It says the same for all the e-mini cases which if you've seen the E-i3 is not possible Smile. That looks like the spec for the E-i7. I answered your height question in the other thread.
(2012-11-25, 00:14)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-24, 23:50)pszab Wrote: I've just read this topic, and i have some questions.
A 3.5" hdd is ~26mm.

The spec on the website is not correct. It says the same for all the e-mini cases which if you've seen the E-i3 is not possible Smile. That looks like the spec for the E-i7. I answered your height question in the other thread.

Not really
Ei3 M/B Height Under 20mm , Install 1*3.5"HDD,
Ei5 M/B Height Under 36mm , Install 1*3.5"HDD or 2*2.5 "HDD
Ei7 M/B Height Under 54mm with 1*Expansion Card , Install 1*3.5"HDD or 1*2.5 "HDD

Ei5=75mm
this cooler is 37
this ssd is 9,5
material thickness 2*2mm
sum ~51mm
so it should be 75-51=24mm between the ssd and the cooler. not 3. If anyone can tell where is the missing distance, please tell it
(2012-11-25, 00:40)pszab Wrote:
(2012-11-25, 00:14)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
A 3.5" hdd is ~26mm.

Not really
Ei3 M/B Height Under 20mm , Install 1*3.5"HDD,
Ei5 M/B Height Under 36mm , Install 1*3.5"HDD or 2*2.5 "HDD
Ei7 M/B Height Under 54mm with 1*Expansion Card , Install 1*3.5"HDD or 1*2.5 "HDD

Ei5=75mm
this cooler is 37
this ssd is 9,5
material thickness 2*2mm
sum ~51mm
so it should be 75-51=24mm between the ssd and the cooler. not 3. If anyone can tell where is the missing distance, please tell it

In my opinion, there's no room for 3.5 with this specific cooler.
You're probably right about 24 mm between the ssd and the cooler. Even less because the MB doesn't sit right on the board, it gets lifted up. Also, the height of MB itself.

When it says "M/B Height Under 36mm , Install 1*3.5"HDD or 2*2.5 "HDD", I think it means 36 mm including the height.

And Dougie Fresh also mentions here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1247041

Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you use a 1U (28mm) cooler there is exactly enough room for a 3.5" HDD in the E-i5 case.

The cooler is not 28mm. it's 37mm

So there is no room for 3.5 with this cooler
(2012-11-27, 17:05)jangjong Wrote: The cooler is not 28mm. it's 37mm

So there is no room for 3.5 with this cooler

FWIW, I've tried a 3.5" HDD in the E-i5 with a 28mm (1U) cooler and it fits. I don't think it's a good idea but it fits. I used the Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus in the test at the request of a potential customer.

Firstly, thanks for the answer, but now I'm totally confused.

(2012-11-27, 17:05)jangjong Wrote: You're probably right about 24 mm between the ssd and the cooler.

But you wrote that 40mm height heatsink couldn't fit.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1144652
jangjong Wrote:The 5th picture from the top should show how much space I got in between the cooler and the ssd. Not going to lie, it's not much. 3mm may be a bit too tight.

If there is 24mm between the ssd and the 9.5mm cooler, then (there can be space for a 26mm 3.5" hdd instead of the ssd as Dougie Fresh wrote) and should be space for the 3mm taller heatsink as well.

Or Am I wrong and misunderstand something.
(2012-11-27, 19:34)pszab Wrote: Firstly, thanks for the answer, but now I'm totally confused.

(2012-11-27, 17:05)jangjong Wrote: You're probably right about 24 mm between the ssd and the cooler.

But you wrote that 40mm height heatsink couldn't fit.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1144652
jangjong Wrote:The 5th picture from the top should show how much space I got in between the cooler and the ssd. Not going to lie, it's not much. 3mm may be a bit too tight.

If there is 24mm between the ssd and the 9.5mm cooler, then (there can be space for a 26mm 3.5" hdd instead of the ssd as Dougie Fresh wrote) and should be space for the 3mm taller heatsink as well.

Or Am I wrong and misunderstand something.

Where did I say 40 mm couldnt fit?

I said it may be too tight. That doesn't mean it won't fit. It may be tight as it there may be no good airflow.

Also, I am not being so accurate by mm's here. I don't have a ruler that goes in side that little case. You have to take that into the account. No one here actually takes a ruler to see exactly how much space in mm its' got

I didnt even like how tight mine is set up right now. If it was tighter and using 3.5 HDD, it will create much more heat
Also, this is what I said.

"You're probably right about 24 mm between the ssd and the cooler. Even less because the MB doesn't sit right on the board, it gets lifted up. Also, the height of MB itself.'

I said "Even less". Not that there will be exactly 24 mm in between the cooler and the ssd, it will be less because of the screws, thickness of the motherboard, thickness of cpu,
Oh i keep adding more info lol

but also, you have to think of the thickness of that metal plate that you mount the hdd to, and also the slight space in between that plate and the top of the case.

if you take all those minor things in to the account.

you get less than 10 mm space in between the fan and the ssd
To settle the measurements on the E-i5 once and for all, there is ~54mm between the bottom of the HDD/SDD mounting plate and the top of the motherboard.

~54mm - 9.5mm (SSD) = ~44.5mm for CPU cooler
~54mm - 25.4mm (3.5" HDD) = ~28.6mm for CPU cooler

These numbers correspond to my testing as well so I have confirmed them.

If you think the E-i5 is tight, I have the E-i3 now also. It's 15mm shorter. A 2.5" SSD is a tight fit against a 28mm Dynatron K199. I don't know how they can advertise that it fits a 3.5" HDD but that's another story...

• 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Realan E-I5 A6-3500 build0