• 7(current)
Google Nexus Player
It definitely appears in the normal app listing from what I remember when having a look last weekend.
(2014-10-17, 00:43)BigB42078 Wrote: So do you have to have a AC router for the Nexus Player to even work? Or is it backwards compatible with N 2.4 GHz & 5.0 Ghz dual band?

Why would anyone buy a Ethernet adapter for it. It should just have it, how much does it really save them. FireTV has it, and it for the most part sells at the same price point, or even lower $85.
I'm pretty sure it's dual band.
(2014-10-17, 14:06)karrde Wrote:
(2014-10-16, 22:39)BradleyR Wrote: For all of you asking, yes you can sideload XBMC/Kodi to it, the latest Helix nightly works fine on it, I use it everyday on my adt-1

Just as important, does a sideloaded app appear on the normal app screen or do you have to go digging for it?

since the kodi dev team already included the manifest section for the leanback launcher it appears in the main screen Smile
so as long as the app you are sideloading has the leanback activity defined you should see it in the main screen
So before i buy i only need to know one thing.

Once i have Kodi installed can i go to settings and put audio passthrough on?
So i get my receiver to handle all the audio formats.
Thanks
(2014-10-16, 23:51)hdmkv Wrote: I have stuff with bitrate peaks around 100mbps... 'The Immortals' 3D BD, 'The Avengers' 3D BD (final battle sequence), etc.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. Blu ray max video bitrate for 3d is 60mbps (2d is 40mbps). I believe audio remains the same at 8mbps max.
(2014-10-17, 17:14)007xico Wrote: So before i buy i only need to know one thing.

Once i have Kodi installed can i go to settings and put audio passthrough on?
So i get my receiver to handle all the audio formats.
Thanks

Considering that you are talking about Android, no...you probalby won't be able to do that.
Most likely, it will probalby passthrought DTS and AC3 but not HD audio like DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.
(2014-10-17, 17:57)sergiomiranda Wrote: Considering that you are talking about Android, no...you probalby won't be able to do that.
Most likely, it will probalby passthrought DTS and AC3 but not HD audio like DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.

Of course if it can decode HD/DTS formats in the app and pass LPCM through it is probably good enough for all but the most anal people.

My questions are ethernet via OTG USB? Eventual volume and power control on connected tv/receiver? 3D MVC support? And very importantly 24p support?

I've seen no mention of 4k support either. Not that there would be much content other than through Netflix, Google Play, or Youtube.
(2014-10-17, 17:52)drhill Wrote:
(2014-10-16, 23:51)hdmkv Wrote: I have stuff with bitrate peaks around 100mbps... 'The Immortals' 3D BD, 'The Avengers' 3D BD (final battle sequence), etc.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. Blu ray max video bitrate for 3d is 60mbps (2d is 40mbps). I believe audio remains the same at 8mbps max.
I'm sure as I did testing for Mede8er's X3D series... for frame-packed 3D BD ISO's, peaks can reach 90 to near 100mbps. Peaks, not sustained. This was an issue with my Synology and trying to stream via SMB. I had to use 32k buffer and NFS to stream 3D ISO's so they didn't stutter when those peak bitrates were hit during heavy action scenes.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-10-17, 18:15)hdmkv Wrote:
(2014-10-17, 17:52)drhill Wrote:

I'm sure as I did testing for Mede8er's X3D series... for frame-packed 3D BD ISO's, peaks can reach 90 to near 100mbps.

I've read people in the know (Amir from MS regarding HD-DVDs, awhile ago) say you can't trust players on screen display values of bitrates. That being said the 60mbps number is from a couple of places online but not the actual blu ray spec, but I would really be surprised if they went over the spec. Whatever that spec truly is.

That said if we can use ethernet over USB it should still be enough as would 802.11ac if you get a stable signal.
(2014-10-17, 18:01)drhill Wrote: Of course if it can decode HD/DTS formats in the app and pass LPCM through it is probably good enough for all but the most anal people.

My questions are ethernet via OTG USB? Eventual volume and power control on connected tv/receiver? 3D MVC support? And very importantly 24p support?

I've seen no mention of 4k support either. Not that there would be much content other than through Netflix, Google Play, or Youtube.

You are right about the decoding and sending LPCM, but he did mention that he wanted the receiver to handle all the audio, so I was considering that.
For "volume and power control on connected tv/receiver", you mean HDMI-CEC?
Your questions are very relevant and I'm also interest to know those details, especially 24p, but I won't get my hopes up.
(2014-10-17, 19:43)sergiomiranda Wrote:
(2014-10-17, 18:01)drhill Wrote: Of course if it can decode HD/DTS formats in the app and pass LPCM through it is probably good enough for all but the most anal people.

You are right about the decoding and sending LPCM, but he did mention that he wanted the receiver to handle all the audio, so I was considering that.
For "volume and power control on connected tv/receiver", you mean HDMI-CEC?
Your questions are very relevant and I'm also interest to know those details, especially 24p, but I won't get my hopes up.

Yes I meant HDMI-CEC for volume and power. It's ideal to keep to one remote as long as your set isn't too complicated.
Code:
projector
             HDMI
       receiver
     HDMI            HDMI
androidtv  blu ray player
Code:
TV
    HDMI
androidtv
Would be my two setups. Maybe add a blu ray player to the tv only setup but that's it.

24p I only expect the worst.
(2014-10-17, 04:13)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-10-17, 00:43)BigB42078 Wrote: So do you have to have a AC router for the Nexus Player to even work? Or is it backwards compatible with N 2.4 GHz & 5.0 Ghz dual band?

Don't know, seems that it will be 5GHz only, but may be mixed a+n+ac. Nobody may truly know until it's actually launched.

If they are using the BCM4345 as someone mentioned in a previous post, there's just no information about it being backwards compatible.

(2014-10-17, 01:24)PantsOnFire Wrote: What do you imagine? Do you think this was a smart decision on googles part? (To go with x86).
From what I've been reading, quite a few ppl are saying they're worried about app compatibility when using an x86 processor (as opposed to arm).

Don't know whether it was a good decision or not, only time will tell. But it does open up possibilities and not knowing shouldn't curb anyone from being excited just to see what it might bring to the table.

You can after all be excited to see what happens with a device, without having to make any commitment to that device.

(2014-10-17, 03:43)Vidman Wrote: Wasn't the original Google TV devices x86? And some of the criticism levelled at it was that many android apps weren't compatible

No, criticism was due Google TV, which was a failed project that even Google has more or less admitted too. That is why Google TV has been dumped and were now see Android TV, which is more like Android for your TV rather than just an updated Google TV.

And at the time the Revue (which was the first Google TV device launch) which was x86, there just weren't many "TV" apps available. That's not so much the case now, especially with the popularity of the Fire TV more and more apps are getting the "TV Friendly" touch.

Compatibility will still be an issue as apps will still have to be built for Android TV, since just like with the Fire TV you can't just use standard Android apps. They have to be remote/game pad compatible and made for the big screen.

Whether there will be a issue between ARM and x86 apps, I don't know. But I would expect that Google will push app developers to have their apps compatible with both ARM and x86 if they are going to publish Android TV apps in the Play Store. That, or there's already something within the SDK that makes apps compatible for both.

Why did you start your reply with " no" when you continued to confirm both of my points?
Hmm apparently the Nexus Player is using Moorefield not Bay Trail

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/inte...s-lollipop

Quote:Today Google unveiled Lollipop, their latest Android offering, and Nexus Player, the first device running Android TV. Intel worked closely with Google on both projects offerings. Intel helped advance the features within Lollipop, including 64-bit support and the new Android Runtime which provides dramatic experiential benefits to users. Nexus Player is powered by the 22nm, quad core, 64-bit enabled Intel® Atom™ processor (Moorefield) and delivers both speedy performance and a smooth and responsive experience. Check out this blog to see what Intel’s Doug Fisher has to say about the news.
(2014-10-17, 19:43)sergiomiranda Wrote: Your questions are very relevant and I'm also interest to know those details, especially 24p, but I won't get my hopes up.

Android doesn't support refresh rate switching, so no 24p I believe unless this changes in 5.0 Lollipop
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Does anyone think this could make a better XBMC box than an Acer Revo (Atom Ion II) running Windows, or is Android still not really there yet?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7