• 71(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
As in you can't use it. It's only 8 or 12.
sorry if I insist but my video card: radeon (tx) 480 rx checking the specifications with any programs not the hdr function. however windows 10 gives me the possibility to activate the hdr, can someone explain to me why this happens.
(2020-01-06, 17:24)erfboom Wrote:
(2020-01-06, 13:23)larsete Wrote: Hi guys! First of all let me thank you for this!! I've been waiting a long time to have some integrated method in Kodi (Windows or Linux) to passthrough HDR metadata without having to use external players, etc. And version 3.0.1 seems to work flawlessly except for one small thing for me.

I'm using nVidia (GTX 1080), and the only problem I'm having is that, despite it perfectly auto switching to HDR, correct color space and the correct resolution/refresh rate, my AVR and TV/Projector reports to be only getting 8-bits. If I go into the nVidia control panel, and force RGB 4k@30 (or less) + bit depth = 12, then when auto switching it also correctly sends 12 bits.

I've tried leaving the desktop at 4k@60 and "default options" as suggested in this thread, but in that case it always just sends 8-bits, even though it correctly switches to 24Hz (which should allow selecting 10/12 bits).

I'm getting the same behavior with the latest nvidia drivers and also older ones. Same as with the Kodi HDR 3.0.1 and 4RC3. Not sure if the fact that for RGB nVidia only have the option to choose between 8 or 12 bits has something to do with it as there is no "10" option so Kodi defaults to 8?? just guessing of course, but not sure if you have any suggestion to make it work automatically so I can leave the desktop at 60Hz, because I also use it for more things than just Kodi.

Thank you again!!

It's an Nvidia problem. They locked 10bit for regular drivers and for regular cards. 

Do you mean they have locked being able to manually set it, it still works on regular card/drivers with the auto-switching when playing HDR 10/12bit?
(2020-01-06, 13:23)larsete Wrote: Hi guys! First of all let me thank you for this!! I've been waiting a long time to have some integrated method in Kodi (Windows or Linux) to passthrough HDR metadata without having to use external players, etc. And version 3.0.1 seems to work flawlessly except for one small thing for me.

I'm using nVidia (GTX 1080), and the only problem I'm having is that, despite it perfectly auto switching to HDR, correct color space and the correct resolution/refresh rate, my AVR and TV/Projector reports to be only getting 8-bits. If I go into the nVidia control panel, and force RGB 4k@30 (or less) + bit depth = 12, then when auto switching it also correctly sends 12 bits.

I've tried leaving the desktop at 4k@60 and "default options" as suggested in this thread, but in that case it always just sends 8-bits, even though it correctly switches to 24Hz (which should allow selecting 10/12 bits).

I'm getting the same behavior with the latest nvidia drivers and also older ones. Same as with the Kodi HDR 3.0.1 and 4RC3. Not sure if the fact that for RGB nVidia only have the option to choose between 8 or 12 bits has something to do with it as there is no "10" option so Kodi defaults to 8?? just guessing of course, but not sure if you have any suggestion to make it work automatically so I can leave the desktop at 60Hz, because I also use it for more things than just Kodi.

Thank you again!!

It's an Nvidia problem. They locked 10bit for regular drivers and for regular cards.

Oh damn! Then there is nothing that can be done besides some launch scrips for Kodi to automatically change resolution I guess... But not even sure if I'd be able to choose 12 bits programatically...

Anyway, just because of this, I'm thinking of using the integrated Intel UHD630 I have just for Kodi instead, as my MB also includes a HDMI 2.0 port, but after reading this thread, it's not clear to me if the quality for HDR videos would be the same in this case?

Thank you.
Having an issue with subtitles being far too bright with HDR content, you can set dark grey in the settings but that does not work for internal subtitles, also none of the subtitle addons work in Kodi 19 so it is impossible to get actually get external subtitles inside Kodi :...(. Any ideas?

I was going to download Kodi 19 HDR v4 Python 2 version and change subtitles to a dark grey, meaning I could use the subtitle addons, can't find that version anymore though? Would there be any negative performance to using the python 2 version?

Would it be possible to allow internal subtitles to use the Kodi settings regarding dark grey for HDR?
Jogal made an amazing work.
Use his fork, this is obsolete.

The only difference now is that this fork support libbluray 1.1.2 that supports uhd BD and is automatic for hdr content.

I'll update the first post when I have time.
(2020-01-06, 22:24)fandangos Wrote: Jogal made an amazing work.

The only difference now is that this fork support libbluray 1.1.2 that supports uhd BD and is automatic for hdr content.

Will his fork offer the same quality for someone using your fork with an Nvidia card and the private API?
(2020-01-06, 22:33)n00bftw Wrote:

Will his fork offer the same quality for someone using your fork with an Nvidia card and the private API? 

Yes, it will.
(2020-01-06, 22:24)fandangos Wrote: and is automatic for hdr content.

For me this is the most important advantage. Prior to this only madVR could do this.
R3 2200G / Vega8 / Samsung UE40NU7100
Win10Pro 1909 / 4K RGB 60Hz Full / AMD19.10.1
(2020-01-06, 20:13)n00bftw Wrote:

Thank you again!!

Do you mean they have locked being able to manually set it, it still works on regular card/drivers with the auto-switching when playing HDR 10/12bit?

I mean the windows desktop will only be shown in 8 bits as well as other programs. From what I've gathered, even 10 bit content played in kodi will have dithering done to it by the gpu. Nvidia be like that. I'll see if I can find some reading on this for you.
(2020-01-06, 20:19)larsete Wrote:

Thank you again!!

Oh damn! Then there is nothing that can be done besides some launch scrips for Kodi to automatically change resolution I guess... But not even sure if I'd be able to choose 12 bits programatically...

Anyway, just because of this, I'm thinking of using the integrated Intel UHD630 I have just for Kodi instead, as my MB also includes a HDMI 2.0 port, but after reading this thread, it's not clear to me if the quality for HDR videos would be the same in this case?

Thank you.

If you can tell the difference between 10bit content played in 8 bit with dithering versus no dithering then that would be your answer.
(2020-01-06, 23:08)_DMU_ Wrote:

For me this is the most important advantage. Prior to this only madVR could do this. 

But only Nvidia and AMD gpus can use it. 
I have already deleted my fandangos2 fork (fandangos original git still up) and I'm just updating the libs and using his fork for now. 

I believe this button might be a temporary solution. It will be hard to figure out an automatic way but I think he will manage it, his coding skills are far beyond anything I can do.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments...d_support/

Here's a link to the 10 bit issue explained a little better. Seems kodi is using 10 bit because it's a direct x program in full screen. Maybe someone else can shed more light.

In short, don't worry about it but you can't select 10bit unless you have a pascal card.
(2020-01-06, 23:34)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-06, 23:08)_DMU_ Wrote:

But only Nvidia and AMD gpus can use it. 
I have already deleted my fandangos2 fork (fandangos original git still up) and I'm just updating the libs and using his fork for now. 

I believe this button might be a temporary solution. It will be hard to figure out an automatic way but I think he will manage it, his coding skills are far beyond anything I can do. 
would it be too much to ask how you build the python 2 version? every time i try to compile his fork i get stuck at ffmpeg throwing an error. i'd use his fork but the addons hold me back.
(2020-01-06, 22:54)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-06, 22:33)n00bftw Wrote:

Yes, it will. 

OK thanks, will I need to use the advanced.xml on Jogals release to enable the private API or is it built into it already, sorry for all the questions.
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9