• 9(current)
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC
(2014-01-21, 19:01)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 18:41)jacintech.fire Wrote: @Kib
I used a central MYSQL database to synch the library across clients, then share the WHOLE user data directory...
Been doing that for 3.5 years...

Some people have never put on seat belts and haven't been in car accidents for 3.5 years either, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

I am not arguing is was a good idea. I just said that it has worked for 3.5 years. I am experimenting, remember? This allows me to say that since late 2011 I have used a central MYSQL database to synch the library across clients and shared the whole userdata directory to further unify the setup. I can therefore report I have yet to encounter any adverse effect.
Draw your own conclusion...
(2014-01-21, 18:53)jacintech.fire Wrote: Here is a short argument for an object store or a distributed file system: A RAID array at a petabyte scale becomes unfeasible. An Object Store or DFS is infinite scalabe (i.e 10Gb, ot 10TB, or 10PB is all the same)...lastly, think of the word "distributable" and see if you can see your holy $#!7 moment like I did a couple of days ago. If you do, I will tell you everything...

pabloh20 asked you for detailed information and you fail to provide any, he even posted your request

(2014-01-21, 18:49)pabloh20 Wrote: I have no shame, nor intelligence, for that matter. I guess I could research it and pretend I know something about it, but there is no fun in that. So....

I, pabloh20, do not quite understand the concept of an Object Store, as opposed to traditional files and filesystems. Furthermore, I also do not understand how such functionality can benefit both the average and expert XBMC user base...

That is a direct copy of your requested statement.......well almost, I added a comma after the 'I' and after my name, obviously, but I hope that does not change the validity of the request..........

So you going to answer him in and fulfill your empty promise of
(2014-01-21, 18:53)jacintech.fire Wrote: I will tell you everything..
@uNiversal,
I don't want to rob him of the thrill of figuring out where I was going with this (he is closer than most). It is EPIC, believe me :-)
Wow what a thread!

@jacintech

I really don't know anything about object stores so I would really appreciate it if you could perhaps list 3 benefits that I might see in XBMC as a result of using it.

Having read everyones responses nobody seems to be able to come up with any benefits but I have a feeling you can think of lots.

Just thought it might help your case for getting any feature request implemented?
The thread that keeps on giving! Big Grin

I'm actually quite curious, at this point, in regard to "where he was going with this". Considering it's nothing less than EPIC, that is.

In any case, I support compressing Blurays for availability purposes. It depends on which compression one uses but I can see the point in doing it.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Eh you are back pedalling now....

Basically you have just proved that aside form being seriously deluded you are also not a "Man" (I use that loosely) of your word. In fact...

Any self respecting Man with that setup would not be using powerline instead of real cat5 cables because his wife told him he couldn't rewire the house.
(2014-01-21, 19:19)splendid Wrote: Wow what a thread!

@jacintech

I really don't know anything about object stores so I would really appreciate it if you could perhaps list 3 benefits that I might see in XBMC as a result of using it.

Having read everyones responses nobody seems to be able to come up with any benefits but I have a feeling you can think of lots.

Just thought it might help your case for getting any feature request implemented?

1) your library can be 10GB or 10PB and it will not matter
2) redundancy and fail safe is built into the Object Store implementation
3) given user-defined or Application-define metadata, the object store becomes your centralized database
4) because you interact with it with an API binding, you could leverage existing APIs to enhance your Application.
5) Object Stores are inherently distributable (pay attention to the word distributable)

(2014-01-21, 19:21)uNiversal Wrote: Eh you are back pedalling now....

Basically you have just proved that aside form being seriously deluded you are also not a "Man" (I use that loosely) of your word. In fact...

Any self respecting Man with that setup would not be using powerline instead of real cat5 cables because his wife told him he couldn't rewire the house.

Obviously you have never been married. Everybody knows the wife is in charge...we just do as we are told. I haven happily whipped for eight years now... :-)
(2014-01-21, 19:01)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 18:41)jacintech.fire Wrote: @Kib
I used a central MYSQL database to synch the library across clients, then share the WHOLE user data directory...
Been doing that for 3.5 years...

Some people have never put on seat belts and haven't been in car accidents for 3.5 years either, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

He doesn't understand... He's at best like a handyman who you call over for anything that's broken in your house... He has "always used duct-tape" (i.e. partitioned) so he uses that to fix everything. He has always used caulk and doesn't know there are different types for different purposes (e.g. just because he's used "MYSQL" [his emphasis to point out that you didn't read properly] without understanding that the MySQL portion is only for a portion of the data, and the rest [e.g. textures] is actually STILL stored in SQLite databases, stored within %userdata%)... This low level handyman, thinks he's a Master Of All Traits (a "hacker" as he's put it) in his field.

facintech.fire Wrote:a) 512 1TB: No reason whatsoever. I have always partitioned my drives, figuring that if something happens (loosing the index, for example), it would be restricted to 1TB of data and not the whole drive.
b) Duplicate Titles: Streaming a 10GB movie over wifi (or remotely) is a crap shot. Sometimes it works, most times it does not. A 650-750MB .mp4 file on the other hand, is far more forgiving.
c) RAID: Scaling to a petabyte using RAID is <insert adjetive>!!! Knowing that, I decided to read up on alternatives. Distributed filesystem, object storage and the rest seem to offer promise that RAID does not.
d) How cool would it be to try something new...see where it would take me...

So to add to your contradictions / insanity:
a) You're not a hacker / experiment if you "have always done it this way" (see "a" above, which have also repeated multiple times elsewhere)

b) Your setup is broken. You have a Lamborghini which you have parted out to make a Pinto. You are trying to drive your "Linto" on the Nuremberg Ring... IF you had a "thoughtful" setup, you could have had your cake and ate it too... You could have ripped the disks in loss-less within any container (mp4, mkv, whatever), and if you really wanted, stored a second lower quality copy for lower bandwidth consumption. Realistically, your bigger problem is that you're trying to shoe-horn everything into an XBMC world that currently isn't built for that.. If you had ran a secondary server on the side (e.g. AirVideo if you have an iOS only environment, or PS3 Media Server if a mixed environment that supports UPnP streaming), you could have even had that original high quality single copy be real-time transcoded out to all your clients... NEITHER of these is a bad idea... NOT storing the original in a very high quality setting when you claim to have 512 TB of storage is insanity, because I promise you that in 5 years, you'll be re-ripping ALL of your media in a higher quality setting. Fun "tinkering" there...

c) You don't seem to know why you say "scaling to a petabyte using RAID is...".... It's probably just something you've read somewhere and are regurgitating. Furthermore, you probably skipped the reason WHY they said that. In reality, the main reason why someone would say that is because RAID schemes are based on parity, and so if more than X drives fail simultaneously, data is lost. You however CAN'T just make a blanked statement. Why? Because the number of disks that can fail before you're toast depends on the RAID level being used. Also because the number of disks is dependent on the size of each disk. Also because the H/W used to run the RAID plays a major role in this (read: every part from the RAID controller, to the disks themselves).

d) It would be cool... But you're not doing that... You're doing (to paraphrase your point "a"), "what you have always done"...
For a everyday user that has not one single benefit.

For someone "hosting" content sure.
(2014-01-21, 19:26)uNiversal Wrote: For a everyday user that has not one single benefit.

For someone "hosting" content sure.

You are thinking small...again. THINK DISTRIBUTABLE...you can do it...
Thanks for the response @jacintech. So why is this better than something I am familiar with such as ZFS? Also hope you weren't expecting an "URGENT: " fix here!
I just looked up "Porto Novo, Benin" on Google Maps. I think we're dealing with a Prince here...
(2014-01-21, 19:31)splendid Wrote: Thanks for the response @jacintech. So why is this better than something I am familiar with such as ZFS? Also hope you weren't expecting an "URGENT: " fix here!
ZFS Is close...but not close enough...I will take that back. There is a company in the U.K. that spun off an object store using ZFS. I Gotta read some more about it before I open my mouth again...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/25/...ect_store/

To be honest, the urgency was in starting the conversation and see if anyboby had thought about it...I am further along today than two days ago and can now start trying a things...
I'm thinking distribution...nope still haven't got a clue.
(2014-01-21, 19:32)edrikk Wrote: I just looked up "Porto Novo, Benin" on Google Maps. I think we're dealing with a Prince here...

Hahahaha!!
Thank you, my friend; but no. I am but an uneducated peasant...
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native Object-Based Storage Support for XBMC5