• 9(current)
[MAC] VDADecoder performance over HDMI on new Mac Mini?
youre threadjacking, but yea, dvi detective works.
RckStr Wrote:youre threadjacking, but yea, dvi detective works.

Apologies if my post was "thread jacking."

Seems DVI detective would be a fair fix.
Snow Leopard Graphics Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1083
davilla Wrote:Snow Leopard Graphics Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1083

Hmmm....I'm thinking I would need to update to 10.6.4 first, and then apply the patch.

Guess I I'll give it a shot when I get home
confirmed to resolve the issue or are we guinneapiging?
RckStr Wrote:confirmed to resolve the issue or are we guinneapiging?

weeeeee, weeeeeee, weeeeeee. all the way home. Of course we are gpig'ing Smile

I saw the seed for it but could not mention it until it came out. It does look promising.
allright Smile will have a go at it tomorrow
I'm updating in a few minutes
It's a BUST! You want anything (logs, etc.) before I reinstall the OS?
10.6.4 + Graphic Update

Log:

http://pastebin.com/X34jgcvN
D-tyme Wrote:It's a BUST! You want anything (logs, etc.) before I reinstall the OS?

Crap Sad
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to add my name to the list of people having trouble with VDADecoder too, I'm afraid. But unlike some others, I'm running 10.6.4 (including the graphic update) but I'm on a late 2009 Mac Mini with the nVidia 9400M graphics. The symptoms are the same though, massive frame drop and frame rates struggling to get above 12-13 fps.

Anyway, down to specifics...

I'm on a late 2009 Mac Mini, 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia 9400M graphics running 10.6.4 with the graphic update recently released with 10.05pre dharma r32773.

I'm connected to a 50Hz PAL 1920x1080 TV via a mini DVI -> HDMI cable. In order to get smooth playback for 24fps movies (well...try to!) I've got "Sync Playback to Display" enabled with the Sync Method as "Resample Audio". I've also enabled "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" - both these settings allow transcoded (lower bitrate) blurays to play fine when using FF-H264 as the decoder, rather than VDADecoder). However, I've also tried it with the TV set to 60Hz and the above settings off (except for VDADecoder, of course) and I still get the same result...massive frame drop and frame rates struggling to get above 12-13 fps.

The pastebin mediainfo dump for the file that generated that (admittedly quite cool!) screenshot is here. Its a completely native bluray rip from MakeMKV with no transcoding. Note that its not just this one movie either, I have several other native bluray rips and they all play the same (I can provide the mediainfo for the others too, if you need).

The pastebin log file for that run is here and shows XBMC being started, the movie being played, the movie being stopped, XBMC being shutdown.

Now, one thing I have discovered is that if I play the same movie when XBMC is in windowed mode, as opposed to full screen, it plays perfectly. Like so:

Notice only a small frame drop (when the movie is started) and a correct fps figure (for my TV set to 50Hz). Now when I switch to full screen the original problem reappears and massive frame drop and frame rates struggling to get above 12-13 fps results.

The pastebin log file for that run is here and shows XBMC being started in windowed mode, the movie being played, switching to full screen mode, a little more of the movie, switching back to windowed mode, the movie being stopped, XBMC being shutdown.

I hope that helps! Please consider me your absolute guinea pig here! I'm more that willing to try to stuff out to help resolve this as having hardware accelerated HD playback is totally awesome! Nod I can revert to 10.6.3 if necessary as people have speculated that 10.6.4 might be a contributing factor to the problem (my mini is pretty much only a HTPC so theres not much on it I can't reload in a short space of time).

I can do a small sample of the file, if that might help too.

Cheers.
hmm...Let me try the window thing on the 2010 Mini and see if it still holds true...
snowdrift Wrote:Unfortunately, I'm going to have to add my name to the list of people having trouble with VDADecoder too, I'm afraid. But unlike some others, I'm running 10.6.4 (including the graphic update) but I'm on a late 2009 Mac Mini with the nVidia 9400M graphics. The symptoms are the same though, massive frame drop and frame rates struggling to get above 12-13 fps.

Anyway, down to specifics...

I'm on a late 2009 Mac Mini, 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia 9400M graphics running 10.6.4 with the graphic update recently released with 10.05pre dharma r32773.

I'm connected to a 50Hz PAL 1920x1080 TV via a mini DVI -> HDMI cable. In order to get smooth playback for 24fps movies (well...try to!) I've got "Sync Playback to Display" enabled with the Sync Method as "Resample Audio". I've also enabled "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" - both these settings allow transcoded (lower bitrate) blurays to play fine when using FF-H264 as the decoder, rather than VDADecoder). However, I've also tried it with the TV set to 60Hz and the above settings off (except for VDADecoder, of course) and I still get the same result...massive frame drop and frame rates struggling to get above 12-13 fps.

The pastebin mediainfo dump for the file that generated that (admittedly quite cool!) screenshot is here. Its a completely native bluray rip with no transcoding. Note that its not just this one movie either, I have several other native bluray rips and they all play the same (I can provide the mediainfo for the others too, if you need).

The pastebin log file for that run is here and shows XBMC being started, the movie being played, the movie being stopped, XBMC being shutdown.

Now, one thing I have discovered is that if I play the same movie when XBMC is in windowed mode, as opposed to full screen, it plays perfectly. Like so:

Notice only a small frame drop (when the movie is started) and a correct fps figure (for my TV set to 50Hz). Now when I switch to full screen the original problem reappears and massive frame drop and frame rates struggling to get above 12-13 fps results.

The pastebin log file for that run is here and shows XBMC being started in windowed mode, the movie being played, switching to full screen mode, a little more of the movie, switching back to windowed mode, the movie being stopped, XBMC being shutdown.

I hope that helps! Please consider me your absolute guinea pig here! I'm more that willing to try to stuff out to help resolve this as having hardware accelerated HD playback is totally awesome! Nod I can revert to 10.6.3 if necessary as people have speculated that 10.6.4 might be a contributing factor to the problem (my mini is pretty much only a HTPC so theres not much on it I can't reload in a short space of time).

Cheers.

I am running the same Mac Mini Late 2009
2,26 Ghz
2 Gb Ram DDR 3 1067Mhz.
9400, running 10.6.4 without the graphics update of 2010-08-18.

I own a Panasonic PG20ES 42" plasma and all mkv's run fine, including 1080p Earth.

No tearing or other strangs things

I setup 50 hz in osx

What kind of RAM are you using and did you upgrade it yourself ? Are you sure your RAM is running at DUAL CHANNEL ? Are both sticks IDENTICAL ?
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque Wrote:I am running the same Mac Mini Late 2009
2,26 Ghz
2 Gb Ram DDR 3 1067Mhz.
9400, running 10.6.4 without the graphics update of 2010-08-18.

I own a Panasonic PG20ES 42" plasma and all mkv's run fine, including 1080p Earth.

No tearing or other strangs things

I setup 50 hz in osx

What kind of RAM are you using and did you upgrade it yourself ? Are you sure your RAM is running at DUAL CHANNEL ? Are both sticks IDENTICAL ?

Hmmmm....thats interesting.

The RAM was pre-installed by Apple when I ordered the machine so I guess its fairly unlikely to be the cause.

Whats the difference between your setup and mine?? Some questions...

[1] What XBMC svn are you using?
[2] What options do you have set in Video > Playback? Presumably "Use VDADecoder" is on. Do you have "Sync playback to display" on? Or "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" on?
[3] In System > Video Output is "Vertical Blank Sync" enabled?
[4] Are your mkv's native bluray rips, unmolested, straight from the disc or are they transcoded using Handbrake or similar? And what software did you use? MakeMKV?

Cheers.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] VDADecoder performance over HDMI on new Mac Mini?0