Upgrading from Dharma
Haven't even thought about upgrading until well now lol

im guessing i need to export my library.....prob back up the userdata folder

do i run a fresh install of XBMCbuntu and just restore my library or can i run the install over Dharma?
WE ALL WE GOT
maybe i missed it but we have a brand new version to be proud of and nothing that says how to safely upgrade from the previous one

If i missed it then it had to be quite a while ago and found many previous upgrade question threads with no responses
WE ALL WE GOT
I'm doing an upgrade from Dharma Live right now. I'll post the results as soon as I'm done.
Just did a fresh install but now I'm having resolution trouble. Adding my modeline into xorg.conf made it lock up on the initial logo screen with the blinking dots, otherwise am stuck on 640x480. Running an nVidia 7950GT.
(2012-03-25, 19:15)Bill_B Wrote: I'm doing an upgrade from Dharma Live right now. I'll post the results as soon as I'm done.

Thanks....would appreciate it
WE ALL WE GOT
OK, here's a VERY rough outline of the steps to do an upgrade from an installed Dharma Live system to Precise Pangolin and Eden.

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU HOSE YOUR SYSTEM. MAKE BACKUPS!

First, make sure you're root (via login, su, or sudo). Then -

1. Backup your existing XMBC (replace <xbmc user> with the username that XBMC runs as)

Code:
# cd  /home/<xbmc user>
# tar -czf xbmc_backup.tar.gz .xbmc

2. Edit your apt sources. (Replace vim in the lines below with whatever editor you're comfortable with)

Code:
# cd /etc/apt
# vim sources.list

Anywhere it says lucid, change it to precise. So

Code:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted universe multiverse

will become

Code:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse

Also, you might want to look through all of the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and do the same thing there. It depends on what other software you're running.

3. Remove live-initramfs. This package is only necessary if you're running off of read-only media (like a CD), and it causes a problem when upgrading due to the multiarch changes in Debian.
If you get errors about update-initramfs not able to stat /lib/libacl* or similar, then this is the culprit. So get rid of it.

Code:
# apt-get remove live-initramfs

4. Update and upgrade

Code:
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

5. If all that completes successfully, then add the new PPA and update.

Code:
# apt-add-repository ppa: nathan-renniewaldock / xbmc-stable
# apt-get update

6. These packages were missing dependencies when I tried to install xbmc, so install them manually

Code:
# apt-get install uxlaunch lightdm

I was prompted to choose a display manager - I chose lightdm. I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

7. Upgrade XBMC
Code:
# apt-get install xbmc

8. OPTIONAL - remove unneeded packages
Code:
# apt-get autoremove

9. Cross your fingers and reboot
Code:
# reboot

Results:

Everything came up as expected. It looks and works great!

Thanks to the XBMC team for all of their hard work!
I just added the new repo and installed and everything turned out as it was before
Geez.....I need to learn more linux lol

Greatly appreciate it!
WE ALL WE GOT
Thanks, but why is adding a new PPA required?
(2012-03-25, 20:44)HunterZ Wrote: Thanks, but why is adding a new PPA required?

I'm not positive that it is. I was just following the info linked from the wiki.
I'm getting some scary warnings, like etc/sudoers wanting to change on the apt-get update step (I said No) and critical package 'lzma (due to dpkg)' wanting to be removed on the apt-get dist-upgrade step (not sure if I should go through with this one).

Edit: This might help: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...bug/944452

Edit 2: There's no way this is going to result in a clean upgrade. I think I'm just going to reinstall from the ISO. Fortunately my library is stored in a MySQL database on a separate machine, so it shouldn't be any more painful than trying to get this extremely rocky in-place upgrade path to work.
all those steps def scares the crap out of me too lol

i can follow directions but thats a lot that can go wrong
I went with live because for the hardware i have it was the most straight forward even though I really only know Windows

now having to worry about losing watched status and such has added a lot of worry lol
WE ALL WE GOT
Doesn't the XBMCbuntu installation process give you an option to "upgrade" from Dharma to Eden? Mine did anyway, allowing me to keep my settings if I wished. Be warned though, the upgrade process will take a VERY long time (2-3 hours).

Is this what you are asking or have I got it all wrong?

See this thread for more information;
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126482
Well I ran the Eden installer (booted a USB stick made from the ISO) and it did offer to upgrade, but it was more of an Ubuntu thing than an XBMC one so I didn't trust it. I told it to just wipe the existing XBMC Live Dharma install and put a fresh Eden on for me.

I think this thread is wrong about changing to Ubuntu Precise also, as Eden appears to use Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric I think).
I got this bit of info and it is prob the best way to go.....i haven't had a chance to do it....got late in the day and wanted to watch some movies lol
but this will prob be the route i take

(Today 16:47)Ned Scott Wrote:
You'll want to locate and backup the userdata folder. You should even be able to copy the parent xbmc/ folder and that will also have add-ons and such. That will have all settings, library databases, etc.

bigdog66 Wrote:
then after installing XBMCbuntu i should copy in the xbmc folder
would this just basically put everything i have currently installed into place without wrecking XBMCbuntu

sorry to tread into your wiki thread...deeply appreciate the help

Ned Scott Wrote:
Correct, and no worries!
WE ALL WE GOT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from Dharma0