• 8(current)
A6-PACK 4Trinity ~ ISK300-120 picoPSU HTPC A6-5400K
oh ok, well I've noticed that when streaming SD content via PS3 that whatever upscaler it uses does a better job than my current AppleTV XBMC setup. So I was just wondering if a receiver with hardware upscaler would give similar results for when I build a HTPC like the one OP is building, but it sounds like it would be a waste of money
(2012-11-19, 08:09)Alexx Wrote: oh ok, well I've noticed that when streaming SD content via PS3 that whatever upscaler it uses does a better job than my current AppleTV XBMC setup. So I was just wondering if a receiver with hardware upscaler would give similar results for when I build a HTPC like the one OP is building, but it sounds like it would be a waste of money

I believe upscaling at the source (PS3, HTPC) would potentially be more effective as that way the original signal is being sent out that way, both the audio and video. When you start adding more things to the connection in the middle (receiver) is when you can run into a lag between the audio and video which is what you dont want.

Personally my preference is to watch it in whatever format it was recorded in without upscaling, but thats just me. I also dont have lots invested in SD sources anymore like VHS, recorded TV, ect. I mostly have DVD, Blu-ray and whatnot and if I watch Netflix and its a SD movie, I just enjoy the nostalgia and knowing how much better it looks now Big Grin

its mostly for some older shows I have archived in SD xvid format. whatever upscaler the PS3 uses does a pretty damn good job, actually think it makes 720p mkv files look a little better as well maybe its some filter they have built in.

Xexiz do you know what remote you're going to use yet?
(2012-11-14, 02:58)Xexiz Wrote: Holly cow!
"Your order has been shipped through USPS First Class International. Delivery time is about 7-28 days (estimated) (business days) - Nov-20-2012 - Dec-14-2012"

7 to 28 BUSINESS DAYS for a picoPSU! got to be kidding me Sad
Even walking from california would be quicker!!!

Oh well, what a nice surprise I got this afternoon! That's the good thing about ordering something without tracking code. I'm not refreshing every 5minutes until it's shipped. I got afraid for nothing I guess with their 28days!!!
awesome! the 5400K-PACK is coming!!
What are the chances that the A6-5400K will be powerful enough to handle the wii dolphin emulator?
well, i wouldnt count on it to play Wii roms with it...
Gamecube maybe, but i doubt it too.
(2012-11-25, 06:17)Alexx Wrote: What are the chances that the A6-5400K will be powerful enough to handle the wii dolphin emulator?

I will post some benches.. did lots of measurements the other day
that would be great
Nice build! Very interested in What you have to say about the A6-5400K as I am considering it for an upgrade for my ancient core 2 htpc. Very interested in your findings for dolphin too!
I've got a A6-5400K and I am trying out the new MSI FM2 mini-ITX motherboard, the FM2-A75IA-E53. I am surprised to see it drawing 101W just sitting in the BIOS and temperatures shooting up to 70C. I double-checked the box and it's not accidentally a A10-5700. Like the A10-5700, disabling Turbo and underclocking has helped but I didn't expect to have to do this with the A6-5400K as well.

s anyone else seeing this kind of power draw and heat with the A6-5400K? Anyone have the new MSI?
i am doing similar build -- Realan E-i7, MSI FM2-A75IA-53 MOBO, A6-5400k, Scythe Kozuti. I just had to add case fans, without them the temps were 60-70. I am still checking into other heatsinks. But, space is limited.
(2012-12-21, 21:48)derwin424 Wrote: i am doing similar build -- Realan E-i7, MSI FM2-A75IA-53 MOBO, A6-5400k, Scythe Kozuti. I just had to add case fans, without them the temps were 60-70. I am still checking into other heatsinks. But, space is limited.

I posted this in another thread but I've recently been testing out the A10-5700 with E-i7 and the stock CPU cooler and my temps at idle are 35C and watching movies under 50C. I have one 80mm fan (a Gelid 1500rpm fan), SSD, 8GB RAM and slot-load blu-ray loaded into the case. I am using the MSI board. Everything is running at stock.

It's strange the A10 would run cooler than the A6, isn't it?
^I am curious if he was just looking at the temps in the BIOS. As we all have noted the BIOS temps are WAAY off and once you hop into windows they drop like a rock.

Dougie you had this happen with the FM1 boards (as did I with my build). Maybe he didnt have a HDD with a OS installed when he recorded those temps as it would be weird for a more powerful chip (which should therefore produce more heat) to run cooler than a slower one.
FWIW, my temps were Speedfan and HWInfo temps and power usage measured with Kill-a-Watt running Windows 7 HP, sitting at the desktop, both cores 0%. At that measurement, the A10-5700 was below 20W and temps were 35C with all that stuff all buttoned up. I've seen none better with that combo of heat/power usage.

Yeah, forget the BIOS, ridiculous ASRock runs the APU full turbo in the BIOS.

• 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A6-PACK 4Trinity ~ ISK300-120 picoPSU HTPC A6-5400K0