New to HTPC need advice ....
Thumbs Up 
Now we are getting somewhere, Wink

Thanks pseudo7 I knew that there was a way to watch Netflix on XBMC.

Bluray please dont think I am not taking your suggestions to heart, however, so far you have been pushing Windows 7 (which I already own) and which I want to get away from for my media purposes. For my business, everyday usage, and many other things I use Windows 7 and I do like it. What I worry about and don't like/trust is that I have been reading a lot lately about Windows "information gathering" "marketing" and other such phrases it uses when harvesting information about you and how you use your computer. I.E. What songs you listen to, movies you watch, programs you use, places you go etc. While I don't have anything to hide I would love to think that using Linux I could worry less about those types of things. Also as stated before I like (from what I have seen) the lack of additional "uneccesary" programs/bloatware on some versions of Linux.

My HTPC is going to be used for watching movies, listening to music, streaming videos, watching tv, viewing pictures etc. It doesnt need all the other "stuff" Windows throws onto its OS for normal computer usage. I have a computer (running Windows 7) but I dont have an easy and attractive media player. This is what I am attempting to accomplish.

Hopefully you understand that I am not brushing off your suggestions and I appreciate all input I am given regardless of the source.

- Thanks to all.
Ace_of_Bacardi Wrote:Now we are getting somewhere, Wink

Thanks pseudo7What I worry about and don't like/trust is that I have been reading a lot lately about Windows "information gathering" "marketing" and other such phrases it uses when harvesting information about you and how you use your computer. I.E. What songs you listen to, movies you watch, programs you use, places you go etc.
- Thanks to all.
It's no different than using Ipad, Iphone, Smart Phone, watching tv show on cable or any electronics that connects to internet. They collects data on most of everything that we pay for services.

For HTPC w/ W7, it's probably safer than any of those electronics I listed above. For HTPC w/ W7, you can simply disable all updates, uninstall IE, disable antivirus protection, etc. It's no different than Linux without antivirus protection. But to keep the price down, Linux might be your best choice. Good luck with your build! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Honestly I am still undecided and when I do decide how to go (Im still learning pros/cons) I will create a thread about my build. XBMC/OpenEllec is a masterpiece in Home Theater standards (in my opinion) and only gets better.

As I believe I stated earlier I just wanna information gather first so that I can learn what I need to know. I thank you all for helping me with that.

- Ace.
Music 
Hello,

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!

I have a couple quick questions hopefully someone could point me in the right direction.

1. I want Fan Art, Thumb Nails etc. to be displayed on my XBMC for Media Files. I have read about how to properly name them so that the scrapers can best find the info needed. HOWEVER I have tons of media streaming from my NAS and renaming them all so that the scrapers can do their job simply isnt an option. My question is:

Can I manually search sites like fanart.tv and imdb for the fanart and stuff needed then save it into some folder or something to be used for XBMC?

2. If I did manually download fanart and stuff how would I implement that? I know that scrapers do that automatically but as previously stated renaming all my files so that the scrapers will work isnt going to happen.

If I am not being clear just ask and I will try to explain more. Thanks a Ton in advance!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to HTPC need advice ....0