openELEC moving from WORKGROUP (how?)
Hi

When i browes the SMB shares, i only see WORKGROUP, ive tried all settings to get xbmc out of this into another one (like NETWORK), nothing works, how do i get the SMB client to see other "workgroups"? other than workgroup.

No settings seems to change this...
Many Thanks
Ashley

© Copyright 2016 - www.ashleygriffin.ca
You'll probably need a custom samba.conf file... have a look here:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...m_OpenELEC
That would be nice to customize it directly from the OpenELEC menu.
(2013-01-13, 23:30)A_rnO Wrote: That would be nice to customize it directly from the OpenELEC menu.

I thought one of the "selling" points of openELEC was you could do all of this from the GUI?

Theres a location in openELEC to do this, however when i change it from WORKGROUP to something else it has no effect when browsing via SMB so is this a bug?

If this isnt a bug then whats the point of this menu, which has which network its going to be in (which doesnt seem to have any effect)?
system > settings > services > SMB Client

Really the below menu should have SMB settings, however as the above doesnt work i think the below would be pointless:
system > openELEC
Many Thanks
Ashley

(2013-01-14, 02:03)SFX Group Wrote:
(2013-01-13, 23:30)A_rnO Wrote: That would be nice to customize it directly from the OpenELEC menu.

I thought one of the "selling" points of openELEC was you could do all of this from the GUI?

Theres a location in openELEC to do this, however when i change it from WORKGROUP to something else it has no effect when browsing via SMB so is this a bug?

If this isnt a bug then whats the point of this menu, which has which network its going to be in (which doesnt seem to have any effect)?
system > settings > services > SMB Client

Really the below menu should have SMB settings, however as the above doesnt work i think the below would be pointless:
system > openELEC

If you have an openelec bug (or bugbear) I suggest you share it on the openelec forums, or their bugtracker.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-01-14, 07:12)nickr Wrote: If you have an openelec bug (or bugbear) I suggest you share it on the openelec forums, or their bugtracker.

I thought this was the XBMC forumHuh? is this not written by the same people who do the Windows version? (as i am in the Raspberry PI forum) (as it says XBMC when its running).
Many Thanks
Ashley

When you change the workgroup in the xbmc settings you are changing the workgroup of the xbmc built in samba client. OpenElect or whatever Linux distro that you are running xbmc on has a system samba server/client that is separate from the xbmc client, the settings for the system samba are controlled from /etc/samba/smb.conf. Hope this makes sense.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-01-14, 15:40)Dilligaf Wrote: When you change the workgroup in the xbmc settings you are changing the workgroup of the xbmc built in samba client. OpenElect or whatever Linux distro that you are running xbmc on has a system samba server/client that is separate from the xbmc client, the settings for the system samba are controlled from /etc/samba/smb.conf. Hope this makes sense.

I can confirm this: System -> OpenELEC -> Services has an option to "Start Samba at boot", which does indeed, start a Samba server, so I can access the content of the Pi's FlashCard directly. This is permanently in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup (unless you SSH in, and manually change the SMB.conf file). I'd be inclined to say that's a bug in OpenElec.

I've just tried changing System -> Services -> SMB client -> Workgroup, and, as far as I can tell, it's making no difference at all. When I go to Add Files, and browse to the SMB Client, I'm offered two workgroups: my genuine network workgroup, and "WORKGROUP" (which only shows any content if I've got the OpenELEC Samba server started). However, my real SMB shares have no security on them, so that may be relevant. But currently, from a client point of view, this option appears to be completely irrelevant!
So I think I misread the OPs issue. I thought they wanted to change the workgroup of the samba server for accessing the openelec machine from another client (which manually editing the samba.conf file in the linked wiki entry will do).

Sounds like the OP just wants to be able to browse for shares within XBMC on that openelec client and see other workgroups in their network.

I run openelec on some of my machines and have a custom name for a workgroup and am able to see it from a default openelec install, so it sounds like something else might be going on and more info might be needed.
When I am in xbmc and browsing to add shares I go into windows(smb) and can see Workgroup and mshome. I choose mshome and can browse my PC to add folders to xbmc. if I go into workgroup I can see the openelec files.

I changed my workgroup for xbmc to mshome in xbmc settings. No reason to chnage the openelec workgroup as far as I can see.
Running Krypton beta3 on ATV4 networked to Win7 PC using SMB shares.
(2013-01-14, 22:12)Troyp42 Wrote: When I am in xbmc and browsing to add shares I go into windows(smb) and can see Workgroup and mshome. I choose mshome and can browse my PC to add folders to xbmc. if I go into workgroup I can see the openelec files.

I changed my workgroup for xbmc to mshome in xbmc settings. No reason to chnage the openelec workgroup as far as I can see.

If you edited smb.conf and changed workgroup to mshome then you would see the openelect shares in the same workgroup as your PC and it would show up when browsing the network from your PC

If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
This is clearly a bug for me. This customizing should be addressed by the OpenELEC menu.
I am still confused. Are you guys taking about xbmc browsing to a samba share on another computer, e.g. your NAS, or are you talking about a desktop browsing to the shared drive on the openelec computer?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-01-15, 01:12)nickr Wrote: I am still confused. Are you guys taking about xbmc browsing to a samba share on another computer, e.g. your NAS, or are you talking about a desktop browsing to the shared drive on the openelec computer?

I was talking about both. As far as I tested, the XBMC System Service setting made no difference. When browsing SMB shares, I was offered LONGCLOSE (my home workgroup), and WORKGROUP, irrespective of the XBMC setting. So what does that option do?

And if I turn on the OpenELEC SMB server, it's in WORKGROUP, unless you manually poke at the SMB.conf file. I wouldn't mind that, if there wasn't the aforementioned XBMC setting, which seems like the incredibly obvious thing to driver the server's configuration.

However, this doesn't deal with the OP's problem, of how to access his SMB shares. Have you checked from a different machine (with a more "user friendly"/foolproof interface)?
From the wiki:

Quote:Workgroup
You should set this as the same workgroup being used for the NAS and your LAN, as it is set-up via your router.

It is in the settings section "SMB Client" so I guess it is for connecting to external windows/samba servers. Frankly I have always left mine at the default, and when I browse to set up a video source, I always get all workgroups on my lan in the popup.

If openelec has a (non xbmc) setting for workgroup for it's own client, then it should work and if it doesn't, it's a bug for openelec to solve - ie post there. If you are expecting the xbmc client setting to be carried over to the openelec server then I can see how this expectation might arise if you don't realise that the xbmc setting is a client setting.

It would be possible for clever people at openelec to query the xbmc client setting and place it in their own server setting file, pretty simple scripting task.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
openELEC moving from WORKGROUP (how?)0