• 82(current)
Artwork Downloader
May I ask why you won't make the change? I'm not asking for support of a special scenario, I would just like AD to support the same local files that Frodo supports since we are basically forced to use this addon. You say yourself that it's an easy fix, so why the reluctance? I'm not trying to badger you, I'm just trying to understand.

If I had any idea how to code, I would happily do it. Unless you'd like to explain it to me. Big Grin
(2013-02-26, 19:06)Vaikin Wrote: @Ghost Pretty sure they need to all be in 1 spot. I remember reading another thread, same problem, no good way around it other than reorganizing.

Thanks, was it always like this pre frodo, for some reason i thought using eden it would detect shows on different drives and add artwork yet, but not since frodo. I just noticed those seasons on different drives had some artwork, but since frodo it had not been getting any added.

Of course i could be imagining this and mistaken.
(2013-02-26, 20:32)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-02-25, 03:34)deh2k7 Wrote:
(2013-02-24, 11:06)Martijn Wrote: Wrong

Wow, thanks for the enlightening and respectful response Martjin.

I asked because I am trying to understand, instead of telling where my understanding was wrong, you chose to respond in a rude and thoughtless way.

You contribution to XBMC is appreciated, but it does not give you free reign to abuse people who come and ask questions in a well-thought out and respectful fashion. If you don't have anything to write other than abuse, then follow the forum's rules, and set an example as a member of the XBMC team and don't write it at all.

Well sorry for being honest and what does replying like that has to do with the forum rules......?
AD will always use local files first if you enable it. Like asked time and time and time again all over the forum.

Then why not put it in the FAQ or in the 1st post of this huge thread? Sometimes you guys assume that people are lazy and not looking for these answers when because of the very generalized search terms "local files" it is hard to find the info.
Probably because he feels that it's been answered everywhere it should be simple and easy to understand. We're obviously the ones who have it wrong. The interesting thing is that the VERY same question was asked again after my post, and again a couple posts later. It's been asked in multiple different areas of the forums. NO ONE has a clear or straight understanding of how this change is supposed to work, and I know for FACT that the 'use local files' setting did not originally work as Martjin says it does now. Instead of putting a clear set of instructions and examples in place, and showing how the addon should work, it's easier to be snarky and complain that we, the users, are just too lazy to find the answers.

I work in software, and have for about 15 years. If I get the same question over and over again about how a feature or functionality works, chances are, we got it wrong, and need to evaluate why we keep getting the same questions over and over again. I stop blaming the users for being too <insert negative adjective here> to understand, but rather I start looking why this is the case. 98% of the time, we're able to identify improvements in our software to make it things work the way users expect them to, not just insist that users work the way our developers think they should.

The interesting thing is that AD still takes forever to run, even with all local artwork, if all it's doing is putting local links into a DB. Somehow I expect that there's more to the story and theres a lot of extra scanning of fanart.tv even when it's not necessary.

Additionally, in my experiences, AD has clear problems with selecting your chosen language in logos. I can't see a real rhyme or reason why it's picking German-language logos over English-language, despite my selecting English in the addon settings. I have a very large movie library, and I've had to correct a couple hundred logos already. I would ask more about this issue, but I'm sure I will get more negative comments so I'm just dealing with the issue and fixing the artwork with other programs.

In the end, if one has their own artwork, I still don't understand why we are forced to use an addon to enable the artwork. Things seemed to work pretty well in Frodo without the change.
(2013-02-27, 06:05)deh2k7 Wrote: In the end, if one has their own artwork, I still don't understand why we are forced to use an addon to enable the artwork. Things seemed to work pretty well in Frodo without the change.

Amen! I'll never understand why they made Frodo behave this way and I've never seen an explanation. Props to Matijn for creating AD, but I'd rather not be forced to use it as I have my own local artwork for everything and as I mentioned earlier, AD doesn't even work with all the Frodo supported artwork files. This has caused me so much work when all previous versions of XBMC 'just worked' with local artwork. This if definitely two steps back.
Is it somehow possible to use this plugin when all movies are in one big folder?
KODI: 18 (latest on Google Play) with Emby-Addon
Skin: Estuary
Database: Emby Server Docker (linuxserver.io) on Synology DS1019+
Hardware: Nvidia Shield TV 2017
Video/Sound: via HDMI and Yamaha RX-V685 on Philips 55OLED804
Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
I, too, would like to be able to use this with a movie collection that lives in one, large folder (i.e. iTunes).
The requirement to have movies and shows etc. in their own folders is a somewhat basic requirement for XBMC in general let alone AD. Considering names are the same for every movie eg. "fanart" or "disc" or "logo" etc. there's no way it will ever work without having the movie or show in its own folder to keep things together.

For software like this to work, there really needs to be some sort of standard organisation done on the users end (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...s/TV_shows)

As it says at the top -

Important: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP TO A SUCCESSFUL LIBRARY SCAN!
My TV-Shows are in separate folders for sure but not the movies. I thought it could be possible, because "extrafanart" can be centralised in the options.
KODI: 18 (latest on Google Play) with Emby-Addon
Skin: Estuary
Database: Emby Server Docker (linuxserver.io) on Synology DS1019+
Hardware: Nvidia Shield TV 2017
Video/Sound: via HDMI and Yamaha RX-V685 on Philips 55OLED804
Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Yeah, that option (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong) is for another add-in that uses that fanart for a moving backdrop...
(2013-02-27, 06:05)deh2k7 Wrote: ...Additionally, in my experiences, AD has clear problems with selecting your chosen language in logos. I can't see a real rhyme or reason why it's picking German-language logos over English-language, despite my selecting English in the addon settings. I have a very large movie library, and I've had to correct a couple hundred logos already. I would ask more about this issue, but I'm sure I will get more negative comments so I'm just dealing with the issue and fixing the artwork with other programs...

The reason for this is there are a ton of fanarts/posters on fanart.tv where users haven't bothered to specify the originating language for the artwork they've uploaded. This means it shows up as "N/A" to XBMC/AD. And if this is the case, AD will download it regardless of your language settings. This could be seen as a fail on the part of AD for not searching out artwork of the specified language and ignoring anything that doesn't match (including N/A items), and it could also be seen as a fail on the part of the people uploading the artwork because they are too lazy to set the option. It could also be seen as a fail on the part of fanart.tv for not making this setting an absolute requirement. Take your pick of the above.
Have you got any examples? A language should always be set, and moderators should be checking the language is correct before approving, if any are found to be wrong they should be reported.

*edit* Language is a drop down that is pre-set to english, so there should be no N/A ones, the only section that isn't tagged with a language is the music section
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
(2013-02-28, 04:48)Mungo Wrote: The requirement to have movies and shows etc. in their own folders is a somewhat basic requirement for XBMC in general let alone AD. Considering names are the same for every movie eg. "fanart" or "disc" or "logo" etc. there's no way it will ever work without having the movie or show in its own folder to keep things together.

For software like this to work, there really needs to be some sort of standard organisation done on the users end (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...s/TV_shows)

As it says at the top -

Important: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP TO A SUCCESSFUL LIBRARY SCAN!

Ember Media Manager will move each of your movies into a separate like named folder with a single setting! It also allows you to pre-scrape all your shows giving you control over what is downloaded. Then in AD you would enable the "Use Local Files" setting.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
(2013-02-28, 16:30)Kode Wrote: Have you got any examples? A language should always be set, and moderators should be checking the language is correct before approving, if any are found to be wrong they should be reported.

*edit* Language is a drop down that is pre-set to english, so there should be no N/A ones, the only section that isn't tagged with a language is the music section

Hi Kode -

I wish that you would have asked about two days ago! I would have logged a bunch of examples for you. The only now that springs to mind that I know for sure I was getting the wrong language match was Troy. I was getting a HD logo 'Troja' instead of an HD logo 'Troy'.
That Troja HD logo is tagged as German?
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Downloader18