• 17(current)
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC
Today I received the message "The item will be shipped to you by DHL from our Germany Office today. ". For the moment, it stills appears as "Order has not been processed yet".
And I wasn't sent any fedex tracking number.

(2013-03-06, 15:28)talvins Wrote:
(2013-02-28, 23:27)teddy6565 Wrote: If anyone is interested I ordered the XBMC version on 16 feb and received a fedex tracking number from arctic yesterday, due for delivery on 5 march

Thanks. Order on 21 feb, still waiting...
(2013-03-06, 16:00)whereis Wrote: Today I received the message "The item will be shipped to you by DHL from our Germany Office today. ". For the moment, it stills appears as "Order has not been processed yet".

And when did you order it please?
On Feb., 17th.

(2013-03-06, 16:10)talvins Wrote:
(2013-03-06, 16:00)whereis Wrote: Today I received the message "The item will be shipped to you by DHL from our Germany Office today. ". For the moment, it stills appears as "Order has not been processed yet".

And when did you order it please?
My Arctic MC001 (with OpenELEC and XBMC pre-installed) was ordered 6th February and arrived 18th February. Everything worked out of the box, except analogue sound. Arctic support have agreed that this is a hardware issue, but I've given up trying to get a replacement. Instead, I have just installed a Behringer UCA202 USB sound card The UCA202 is plug and play on OpenELEC, and gives both analogue and digital optical audio outputs. The analogue output from the UCA202 (needed for my 11-year old plasma) is pleasantly low-noise.

I've also installed a PCTV 290e nanostick HD – again, this works out of the box on the Arctic, and was detected by TvHeadend, giving all 4 UK HD channels. For catch-up TV, I installed the add-ons for BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD and Channel 5 - no problems there either, though I have noticed that pressing the left and right keys during video playback (but not Live TV) can crash and restart XBMC.

For the remote, I ditched the very basic unit supplied with the Arctic in favour of a Motorola NYXboard. This is a great little remote: as well as providing IR support for other devices, it combines an XBMC-friendly remote with a full keyboard on the reverse side. Brilliant! Again, this is plug-and-play on XBMC/OpenELEC. I used the learn function to program the NYXboard to switch on the Arctic from standby (using the Red button) and kept the main Power button in IR-mode for the TV. Being a bit of a newbie, it took me a while to figure out that I could re-map the NYXboard key functions simply by saving a custom keyboard.xml file in /storage/userdata/keymaps. I've set it up for easy access to the EPG, one-click record (using the Red button) with Context Menu mapped to the Blue button (and a couple of other shortcuts):

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <info>OSD</info>                                                             <!-- INFO - OSD -->
      <home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</home>                                       <!-- Home -->
      <f3>XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 31,0, 10,0)</f3>                      <!-- EPG -->
      <f3 mod="shift">XBMC.PlayerControl(Record)</f3>                              <!-- Red - One-Click Record -->
      <f4 mod="shift">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 35,0, 14,0)</f4>          <!-- Green - Timer -->
      <f5 mod="shift">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 34,0, 13,0)</f5>          <!-- Yellow - Recordings -->
      <f6 mod="shift">ContextMenu</f6>                                             <!-- Blue - Context Menu -->
      <key id='61952'>ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)</key>                           <!-- Power - Shutdown Menu -->
      <f4>AspectRatio</f4>                                                         <!-- User button - Zoom -->
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

I also disabled the turn-over commands for the NYXboard (in System/System/Input devices/Peripherals)

In my experience, OpenELEC is a perfect OS for lightweight hardware such as the MC001, and combined with XBMC and TvHeadend really does give a slick, intuitive and responsive interface for live TV, as well as catch-up services such as BBC iPlayer, 4OD and so on).

Thanks to all those who have contributed to these projects!!
(2013-03-05, 18:39)zaphod42 Wrote: If you mean with disable that you want to prevent any current flow through the WiFi PCB, then yes.

As I said, if you don't need any WiFi, unscrew the two screws of the black case cover, remove it and locate the small WiFi PCB at the lowest end of the box, right above the stand. Unplug the antenna cable from the PCB and then pull the PCB out of the 4 pin connector which is sitting on the motherboard. That's it. No more WiFi... Wink

Cheers,
Zap
Right, thanks that sounds pretty routine... I just wanted to confirm there was no OS or BIOS level setting that turns the wireless on/off. I just don't want it broadcasting any signal while I'm not using it.

Incidentally, I'm having a lot of fun creating NFO files, Scraping movie folders, and adding them to the XBMC library. Yesterday was the most stable day I've had so far with this buggy little unit. Only issue was HDMI signal drops but that could be handshake/HDMI cable/ or Deep Color related...anyone know if this machine has any issues with AVRs using Deep Color settings?
mfrey0118,

Can you elaborate on why you call this a "buggy little unit"? I've ordered one of the barebones units to replace my primary HTPC, and I'd like to know if it's up to the task.

Tobor
I ordered an MC000-N from the Arctic website Feb19. I got this email today. WTF? they still have it listed on their website for sale.

We are sorry to inform that your order has been cancelled and we have refunded full invoice amount to you. The money has been sent to you by Skrill (Moneybookers).

We will test all items before shipment, however the product reserved for you failed to pass the testing, a few similar cases also happened to other orders. We have received so many orders that we have ran out of stocks and cannot find a spare one for you. We do not want to send out defective products to our customers therefore the only option we have is cancel your order and refund full amount to you, we hope you can understand our situation.

Please accept our apology for any trouble caused.

Best regards
Arctic-Cooling Webshop
(2013-03-07, 23:01)Greddy2000 Wrote: I ordered an MC000-N from the Arctic website Feb19. I got this email today. WTF? they still have it listed on their website for sale.

Actually, the little pink box on that page says "This item is currently not available!"
If there are stability issues with this unit one should take a critical look at the software thats being used, not at the hardware. There are still some issues with OpenElec (OE) that are not there when using XBMC under Windows. On one and the same machine OE sometime does strange things that won't happen when using XBMC under Windows (7).
I think that OE is still not on the same release-level compared to the final Frodo version for Windows and that this unit should not only be jugged by the software one is using. Used only under Windows its as stable as can be (rock-solid). Not only when using it with XBMC but in general. No problems at all.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
I AM soooo lucky....

Unit arrived today and when i turn it on... - installed ram and SSD - and it BEEPS....

PRO
Memory issue, you should get other memory if it beeps 3 times in a row.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
You were absolutely right...

I changed the memory... and it worked.... V NICE...

one thing i didnt like about the Arctic barebone unit (E) is that in the place of the DVD Drive there is a hole... NO COVER...

I have to buy a dvd (or bd to hide it)...
Anybody tried a non-recommended DVD drive in the barebones unit?

I am assuming as long as everything lines up it doesn't HAVE to be one of the "compatible models".
(2013-03-08, 18:56)solamnic Wrote: one thing i didnt like about the Arctic barebone unit (N) is that in the place of the DVD Drive there is a hole... NO COVER...

That's odd. Mine had a cover, in the bag with the aerial I *think*. Of course this cover is designed to fit on a drive, and without the drive... it just falls off. Thus mine is stuck on with sellotape!
Likewise I got a DVD drive cover in the box with mine. If you don't find it solamnic then email Arctic to send you one. (But their support is not known to be the greatest!)

I have left mine off in any case I guess the extra ventilation should help cooling?
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC5