• 24(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2013-03-15, 21:13)Greddy2000 Wrote: Intel's site shows latest BIOS is from Mar 4, so anything shipped out probably does not have it.

Oh good. The last bios had a few niggling issues, and hopefully this will fix.
Can someone explain to me the benefit (if any) of not using a HD with this device, and booting Openelec from USB and running in memory?
(2013-03-15, 21:21)Busenheimer Wrote: Can someone explain to me the benefit (if any) of not using a HD with this device, and booting Openelec from USB and running in memory?

SSDs are expensive. OpenELEC runs really well on a flash drive. I use a low profile sandisk cruzer, and it boots quickly. If I needed windows, or even Ubuntu I would get an SSD.
Is this because the actual operation of the OS is done in RAM? For this specific distro I'm not seeing a reason to layout the money for a SSD. The recommended amount of RAM is 2GB, but if you boot from USB do you need more?
(2013-03-15, 21:32)Busenheimer Wrote: Is this because the actual operation of the OS is done in RAM? For this specific distro I'm not seeing a reason to layout the money for a SSD. The recommended amount of RAM is 2GB, but if you boot from USB do you need more?

Yes, it all works in RAM. The price difference between 2GB and 4GB is minuscule here in 'Murica, so I decided to go 4GB.
Thanks for the help
(2013-03-15, 19:01)Chris P Bacon Wrote:
(2013-03-15, 17:43)wlk_ Wrote: Paid 166€ (tax included) for the bundle (NUC+DDR3), which is a fine bargain IMHO.
Can you post a link to that deal please most places I have seen are charging around €167 for the NUC on it's own.

It was a temporary 2 days discount on a french webshop (cdiscount), the 847 NUC was at 145€ (+21€ for the DDR3).
Price is now back to most of the other retailers (~155€).

(2013-03-15, 21:46)DrowningApe Wrote:
(2013-03-15, 21:32)Busenheimer Wrote: Is this because the actual operation of the OS is done in RAM? For this specific distro I'm not seeing a reason to layout the money for a SSD. The recommended amount of RAM is 2GB, but if you boot from USB do you need more?

Yes, it all works in RAM. The price difference between 2GB and 4GB is minuscule here in 'Murica, so I decided to go 4GB.

I concur, unless you want to want to use Windows 7/8, I don't see any reason to plug an expensive SSD.
Maybe it could shorten the boot time for a few seconds, but I guess using a fast usb stick would also give you close results.
Also if you "suspend" the NUC instead of shutting it down, it's back to life in <2 seconds.
Thing is I'm only using a cheap(free)/old/spare USB stick which quite fits the need actually.
It has 8GB available but the information page says i'm using only <500MB of it.
I guess by the time the stick will be filled with covers and other cached data.
I might grab a msata drive if I get a good deal anytime, but this is definitly not needed for a player only nuc.
(2013-03-13, 14:47)yaser222 Wrote: 1st
I have harmony remot
How to control nuc with openelec
the problem nuc doesn't have ir interior

So I have to use usb ir
But I don't know what the best one
Can turn on and turn off and control everything without problems
Can you recommend for me ir usb

2nd
I want my nuc work with wifi
I don't now it's better to use usb wifi
Or buy intel network card

Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QXLIWI/ref=...us?ie=UTF8

Why I'm asking it's better to go with Intel card but I heard in the nuc red one
There's problem with wifi intel card make the device really hot and lock the sdd maybe shutdown the nuc

3rd
My nuc sometime the temperature go to 80c
Is this is normal or to much hot
What I can do for this

And last
Anyone recommend for me usb tuner dvb-s2

Thank you

Please help

Thank you
Folks,
I picked up the NUC (i3 version) on the weekend
Tried xbmc over windows7 and Openelec
The machine is fast.
Amazed at how quick openelc boots up. Faster than my PS3 Smile
Though as drowningape pointed out, it crushes blacks

But for some reason I am underwhelmed by the video image quality. I can't put my finger on it but something is missing. This is with h/w acceleration turned on.
Somehow, when I watch the same image on a PS3, it just pops a little more
I need to probably play around this a bit more
From a technical standpoint, should the HD4000 be able to offer as good HD video quality as a 3rd part GPU (frpm nvidia or AMD)?
Not concerned about gaming. Just rendering of movies
I'd like to know too as I'm about to pull the trigger on two i3 NUC's
Just a word of caution. I am way too finicky about picture quality and any aberrations stand out to me since I use a 90 inch projection screen
On a smaller screen, I wouldn't even notice these things. Just saying
As am I, I pay for pro calibration on 65" Panny plasma
I've been using the i3 version of the NUC for a few weeks now and just wanted to give some feedback to the forum.

I initially went with openelec but despite an incredible amount of tinkering just couldn't get 1080p with 50 or 60 Hz to work with my JVC HD350 projector. 23.967 movies also suffered from the occasional missed / repeated frame. This must have been due to a refresh rate issue as the info display shows no dropped frames.

Next went down the xbmcbuntu route. Had issues with audio that I initially cured by updating to the alpha version and updated kernel but after a couple of reboots the speaker mapping went to cock and I don't have the Linux experience or patience to get this sorted.

Next up I used a windows 8 license and xbmc startup mod and was almost 100% happy. 23.967 much, much better. 1080p 50/60 spot on and after a little messing about with drivers got the HD bit streaming working as intended. Only unresolved issue was deinterlacing of 1080i 50Hz live tv streams.

I also tested with RC5 of openelec on a 1080p tv and with software or hardware deinteralacing 1080i streams are still un watchable for me. Software has massive numbers of dropped frames and hardware looks like it's still working at 25 rather than 50 frames.

Today updated to the March 4th bios update 0039 and with DXVA and auto settings enabled it's working almost perfectly. I do get about 5-10 dropped frames at the start of playback but after that it's superb.

In my setup I have no issues with crushed blacks and following calibration with a colorimeter I'm more than happy with the picture. It is definitely better than I was getting out of a PS3 or Boxee Box.

I'm considering adding a Celeron based version for bedroom TV duty if anyone can confirm that this version can now deinterlace HD streams with the new BIOS?
Hey jimbob37, so currently are u using windows 8?
Also, are u using an IR remote with it? If so, which USB IR receiver did u get?

I probably need to tinker with the NUC a little more.
But I must say, I am amazed at the speed of this little thing
What size msata ssd would be best for win 8 + xbmc?
32 or 64?
Raspberry Pi-B with Raspbmc
i5 iMac 21.5"
Macbook Pro
LG PA75U Projector with 113" DIY screen
iPhone 5S/Kodi
Denon AVR S500BT with Klipsch Reference series 5.1 setup
Amazon Fire TV with SPMC
Asus M004U (Coming Soon)

• 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24