• 30(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2013-03-22, 15:30)bnevets27 Wrote: I'm starting to get the feeling we need a small FAQ/wiki for the different versions of the NUC. What each model can and can't do under each operating system.

That's a great idea. I think both versions of the NUC are going to be extremely popular with XBMC users. It would be great to have a dedicated section for info specific to the NUC.
(2013-03-21, 07:55)DrowningApe Wrote: I have an Ortek MCE remote from amazon, which the Harmony has in the database. If I were in the market now I'd get a FLIRC dongle from flirc.tv.

This remote works well
Though, i wanted to know how i can map the '<-' button so that i can exit out of different xbmc screens/windows
Any idea what this button is called on the Ortek
(2013-03-22, 15:30)bnevets27 Wrote: I'm starting to get the feeling we need a small FAQ/wiki for the different versions of the NUC. What each model can and can't do under each operating system.
That is what this thread for.....if there is a Wiki for the NUC, other users will want Wiki's for Q190, Revo, Trinity, Arctic, Ultra, etc.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Sorry it's been a while since I created the Harmony profile, maybe back?

And yes, 4gb is sufficient.
(2013-03-22, 19:05)bluray Wrote:
That is what this thread for.....if there is a Wiki for the NUC, other users will want Wiki's for Q190, Revo, Trinity, Arctic, Ultra, etc.....

I meant a consolidation of information. I've read a good chuck of this thread and besides trying to pick out what it does or doesn't play/do (and seeing the same question asked many time by others) its even more confusing when someone asks or answers a question then then have to follow up with if it was the Celeron or the i3 model, as they are definitely different devices.

I don't see what would be wrong with a wiki for all the listed devices, a lot of the hardware here gets the same questions over and over and the same answers over and over. If some of that energy was able to go into a wiki, I'm sure that would help everyone. I've not trying to say someone should do all the work and users just reap the benefits but I think it would be a mural time savings. (I would be willing to help) Hell even a database with check-boxes of criteria a user could fill out after testing a new device. ie, does it play 1080p, does it play 10bit, bitstreaming, what outputs it has etc. Additionally users could then search that database, narrowing down to what is needed for them. I know its not that simplistic but it's an idea.

eskro did a great job with this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...post843683

But I'm sure there is a little better way.
If you guys want to make a NUC page (or pages) on the XBMC Wiki, by all means, do so. At one point I wanted to make FAQs for common small boxes, like the Revo, but never got around to it. Just sign up for an account, verify e-mail, and you can make and edit pages. Feel free to message me if you have any wiki editing questions.
I want to be able to Ae my harmony remote to control the nuc. Will most likely be running Linux.

What ir receiver is best for this?

One other question - will I have any issues with storing my media on attached USB drive?

Any issues with streaming may media from an attached USB drive?
Small update on adventures in NUC 'ness. I was curious about how well the Celeron NUC running OpenELEC would play HI10 content, so I downloaded a few samples. A 1080p bd rip hi10 copy of a certain popular cable fantasy series had problems with the title sequence, but the episode itself played mostly fine, below the standard I have for frame rate consistency, but identical to my bluray of same in terms of image quality. I also tried a few anime titles in hi10, both 720p and 1080p, TV and films, and they all seemed to play flawlessly.
I can report than in regards to hi10 anime, the Celeron NUC does pass muster.

But if you've encoded your live action content in hi10 for some bizarre reason, then go for for the i3.
What settings do you use for video playback? Are you using match refreshrate to video? If I dont use this I will get small lag but if I do I will get audio sync problems.

I have tried this both with Windows 7 and Windows 8.
I always use that, as my TV is very good at handling 24p. I'm using openELEC which has a much lower overhead than windows. Are you running the celeron or the i3?
I haven't seen any 10bit stuff and won't be doing any in my rips so Celeron it is still. Cheers for doing the testing though, it's just re-enforced my purchase choice.
If I lived in an alternate universe where high capacity hard drives weren't super cheap I would totally be into hi10.
Im having the i3 version. So you do not get any audio sync problems with openELEC? Or does this also depend on the TV?
(2013-03-24, 10:31)snowjim Wrote: Im having the i3 version. So you do not get any audio sync problems with openELEC? Or does this also depend on the TV?

What audio issues are you having?

I'm running to a Monoprice HDMI switch with an optical out that's feeding an AV receiver, so I haven't had any issues. I know there are issues with HD audio that require a patch, but since I'm only using core audio I haven't really paid attention. I believe those issues will be fixed by default once openELEC integrates the next version of the kernel.
In the meantime, if you haven't done the march 4th BIOS upgrade, give that a stab and see if it helps.
Hi have some problem with my i3 NUC running on Win8.

Every ~ 5th time at boot/ start up I only get a black screen and no contact with it, then only option is to kill it with power button.
Then after 1-5 retries NUC start up just fine.
Checked all updates on Intel download site an running on latest BIOS #39.
This fault have be pressent from day one with different HD4000 drives and BIOS versions.
Please help !
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24