Chapters not working in mkv-files
Hi,
I am ripping my DVDs (to .mkv) with handbrake, including the chapters. Everything works fine in VLC, I can access all the chapters. But in XBMC chapters just don't work for most of the files. Skipping to the next chapter ends playback and leads back to the file menu.

While it is totally possible that I messed up something in Handbrake, I don't think that would matter, because the files all work in VLC.

How does this make any sense? Why do chapters only work on some files?
So no one ever encountered this before?
Working fine for me (using the [ & ] keys)
Oh - [ & ] do indeed work as "skip chapter" on those videos. I was not aware of a difference between [ & ] and , & . - what exactly is the difference? And how come it there is different behaviour for videos that have been ripped the same way? Is there a way to work around it or is [ & ] the "better skip" than , & . ? To be honest, I am not really sure how I could re-map my IR remote to "understand" this change.
You can use the "Skip Forward/Back" to navigate through the chapters. Generally - the keys [ & ] are specifically for "Skip to next/previous chapter" while "." and "," are for "Skip to next track".

From the wiki:
. Skip forward Skip forward
, Skip backward Skip backward

while
[ Big step forward, or next chapter
] Big step backward, or previous chapter

I just tested it with my mkv-files with chapters:
. & , don't skip the chapters, they skip to tracks in the playlist (skip to next item, skip to previous item) while [ & ] skip to the next chapter (if there are chapters)

Technically you wouldn't need to remap the buttons on your remote, just the way XBMC reacts to them...
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

The problem persists: On some files, XBMC just won't use the index markers although VLC proves that they are there and do work. Could there be any kind of standard-problem involved in this caseor is there a test-tool to see whether the files are up to standard?
Check with mkvmerge's chapter editor and see if you spot any differences between ones that work and ones that don't?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Great idea, thanks. But I don't see any differences or problems when I check the files.
Post your chapters.xml files for one that works and one that doesn't.
Here's the chapter-.xml of a file the chapters of which do not work in XBMC but DO work in VLC: http://pastebin.com/dCFh141W

Actually I can't load the chapters of the files that DO work in XBMC right now ("not valid" message pops up), maybe I have to look for some more or maybe I mixed it up last time I checked. However, just to make it clear for now: The files for which chapters DO work are .mkv and .mp4 files on which I can NOT load the chapters via MKVmerge - at least for ~10 files I checked.
And can you merge new chapters into a test one with mkvMerge? With luck it will overwrite the chapters to be compatible.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I have just updated to the latest Version (11.0, didn't realize the beta was over) and now the chapters work on those files. There seems to be different handling of remote control commands though, I can't use the pause-button while displaying a playlist - but that is a different issue, I guess.

Thanks for your suggestions, I was almost done trying that last one but then I saw the new version (this thread was started when v. 10 was still out).
Hello,

I'm having this problem with Frodo. If I play a 1:1 rip (made with makemkv) with XBMC, everything is fine. If I put this MKV in handbrake and try to play it in XBMC, some chapters are not in the right order. In VLC, everything is ok.

Any ideas?

LJ
I also have this issue using OpenELEC v13669 (v3.0 with XBMC 12.1) on my raspberry pi. I encountered this issue from the beginning on.
I never used handbrake. Instead I'm creating my mkv - files with RipBot264 for BDs and DVDs. So it doesn't matter which source you use.
Strangely this issue effects only a few files. Even it doesn't matter if you repack or reencode/rerip the whole stuff ... There is 1 chapter-mark which tells XBMC "hey dude, I'm on the end of this movie and playback has finished. Please switch to the next movie."

Hopefully this gets solved soon.
First try should be to let mkvmerge remux the file and test it in XBMC after that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chapters not working in mkv-files0