• 39(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
Hi Ned. Yes, I totally believe it. ARM is the future of XBMC for sure. Once ARM can handle the playback adequately the only "issue" is performance in more intense skins like Aeon Nox.

I think we could see hardware for under $199 soon that does everything and does it almost as well as an i3 setup.
(2013-03-29, 15:26)Pasoa2021 Wrote: Anyone have any tips on getting HD Audio working on XBMCbuntu? Works on OpenELEC, but not XBMCBuntu

You need to update the Lubuntu kernel to get HD Audio working..

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Int...r_HD_Audio

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mai...t/current/

I booted into Lubuntu, downloaded the linux headers / image / image-extras files and then installed using the "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" command. Rebooted and it worked fine.
hey guys,

I'm very eager to get the i3 version of the NUC.

Now i've read quite a lot about stability issues concerning LAN/WiFi/HDMI. This is in quite a few reviews and the Intel forums itself.

In this thread i could not find much of it though, would you recommend buying it anyway?
(2013-03-31, 17:38)freezer2k Wrote: hey guys,

I'm very eager to get the i3 version of the NUC.

Now i've read quite a lot about stability issues concerning LAN/WiFi/HDMI. This is in quite a few reviews and the Intel forums itself.

In this thread i could not find much of it though, would you recommend buying it anyway?

The overheating issues have been with the "red" i3 with thunderbolt, which was also the model that Intel provided to tech sites for review. The black Ethernet i3 and Celeron don't seem to have this issue. There have been some issues with HDMI handshake, but I haven't had any problems since the 030413 bios update running OpenELEC on the Celeron.
The red model does not have any Ethernet port,

At least the Ethernet issue (often when HDMI is connected to the port next to ethernet), seems to be ongoing for some people:

http://communities.intel.com/message/188492#188492

Since i really want to use both HDMI ports at the same time, this would be a big issue for me.

Are you using the HDMI port next to ethernet without issues?
Less than £200 all in now at ebuyer.com

32GB plenty for openELEC and 4GB ram!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-03-28, 20:36)atandon Wrote: Guys, I am having trouble getting forced subs to work
I have set the forced, default and enable flags for a subtitle track using the mkvmerge header editor
The forced track does not get turned on unless I go into xbmc and enable that track Sad
I believe its a PGS sub track
Tried to search on this issue ... but I get conflicting information regarding support for this

XBMC does support forced subs, you might have them flagged wrong. Try setting the forced sub track to FORCED=yes DEFAULT=yes in mkvmerge.

Also, asking this question about XBMC software in a hardware thread is why you probably haven't gotten any other responses (this problem almost certainly has nothing to do with the "NUC hardware"). You'd be better asking this question in the appropriate support forum.
Guys, noticed that when I switch HDMI inputs on my receiver i.e. switch from the input used for my NUC (running openelec) to another HDMI input, the NUC powers off

Is this by design? Is there a BIOS setting that prevents this

voip-ninja: Special thanks. Appreciate all the good input u are providing in this thread Smile
I'm wondering about the noise from the cpu-fan of the Nuc, so I hope someone can give some feedback on this.

I really want to avoid any kind of noise from my htpc, as I have it in my living room and it will be powered on pretty much all the time. At the moment though, I have to set the fan to a fixed level of 20% for it to be noiseless. If I set it any higher or to a dynamic cooling profile the fan spins up and the Nuc is clearly audible. The temperatures are also quite high, usually around 80C during load. How did you guys solve this?
from what i've read, updating to the latest BIOS should help with the heat, did you do that?
Yes, I'm running 0039, which i believe is the latest.

Edit: Just checked, and there is indeed an updated BIOS; 0040.
(2013-04-01, 21:00)janock Wrote: Yes, I'm running 0039, which i believe is the latest.

Edit: Just checked, and there is indeed an updated BIOS; 0040.

Im running 0039 right now, and per xbmc, Im going at 178-180F. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but my machine is pretty warm to the touch.
Not sure it's suppose to run this hot? (no wifi in my mahcine)

I'll try updating to 40, hopefully this will help.

As for the sound issue... I notice the fan going on sometimes, but generally speaking the unit is pretty silent (Im using the Celeron version)
You're getting about the same temperatures as me then, though I have the i3-version. I know I've read that Intel consideres this normal on these machines, but seeing as I have to set the fan to the minimum fixed speed (the fan won't spin up as the cpu gets warmer), I am a bit worried how this will affect the Nuc over time.

Kennyx, which profile setting are you using for cooling?
Havent played around with any profile settings yet (so it's on whatever's set at default), but might get to it later tonight.
(2013-04-01, 18:37)bytebuster Wrote: Guys, noticed that when I switch HDMI inputs on my receiver i.e. switch from the input used for my NUC (running openelec) to another HDMI input, the NUC powers off

Is this by design? Is there a BIOS setting that prevents this

Doh! Its my silly harmony activity shutting off the NUC Big Grin
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24