• 74(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2013-06-01, 20:10)Baswazz Wrote: Cool' can you tell us what the power usage is idle land on load?

Looks like about 10-11W when idle, and 14-15W streaming 1080p content from NAS. Does that sound right?
(2013-06-01, 20:22)alex_a Wrote:
(2013-06-01, 20:10)Baswazz Wrote: Cool' can you tell us what the power usage is idle land on load?

Looks like about 10-11W when idle, and 14-15W streaming 1080p content from NAS. Does that sound right?

It could be thats really Nice.
I am having a major problem with my NUC. The system crashes and then reboots every 30 minutes or so. And it happened with all 3 operating systems that I tried: Win 8, Win 7, and Ubuntu 13.04.
At first, I thought it would be a bad RAM so I tried two other brands (PNY and Plextor) but with the same results. I then suspected my SSD (Plextor M5M) is the problem so I bought a Crucial M4 and still the same results. Then I called Intel and sent the unit back to them and got it back 2 days ago. Still no luck.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? I read that the NUC doesn't like some brands of RAM but I am not sure what to think anymore.
Found this:

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news...ly-haswell

Always assuming that the information is reliable.....

What do you think? I currently have an ATV2 and was thinking of upgrading to a NUC based system, now i`m thinking of waiting for the haswell NUC, not only because of the better CPU but also because of the infrared sensor (which i THINK the original NUCs lacked?)
(2013-06-06, 16:33)z31fanatic Wrote: Then I called Intel and sent the unit back to them and got it back 2 days ago. Still no luck.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? I read that the NUC doesn't like some brands of RAM but I am not sure what to think anymore.

Intel sent you back the same unit or did they send you a different unit but it has the same problem?
(2013-06-06, 17:07)Acrobat76 Wrote: Found this:

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news...ly-haswell

Always assuming that the information is reliable.....

What do you think? I currently have an ATV2 and was thinking of upgrading to a NUC based system, now i`m thinking of waiting for the haswell NUC, not only because of the better CPU but also because of the infrared sensor (which i THINK the original NUCs lacked?)

The Core i5 version is particularly interesting since it would have the Iris GPU (HD5000)

http://ark.intel.com/products/75028/Inte...o-2_60-GHz

The Core i3 has HD4400 GPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75107/Inte...e-1_70-GHz
(2013-06-06, 17:57)DaveNinja Wrote: Intel sent you back the same unit or did they send you a different unit but it has the same problem?

They sent me a new unit but the problem is still there.
(2013-06-06, 16:33)z31fanatic Wrote: I am having a major problem with my NUC. The system crashes and then reboots every 30 minutes or so. And it happened with all 3 operating systems that I tried: Win 8, Win 7, and Ubuntu 13.04.
At first, I thought it would be a bad RAM so I tried two other brands (PNY and Plextor) but with the same results. I then suspected my SSD (Plextor M5M) is the problem so I bought a Crucial M4 and still the same results. Then I called Intel and sent the unit back to them and got it back 2 days ago. Still no luck.

I had two sticks of 2GB patriot ram and was getting crashes. Ended up testing each stick in each slot and deducing that one of the sticks was faulty (it wouldn't even boot, so couldn't even run memtest off a USB drive). Initially it was just artifacting in XBMC home screen, so I thought it was a heat issue. Swapped over the stick with a new one (replaced by the store) and now it works fine.

The only other issue I've had is that I'd get an occasional crash and no video output, replaced my HDMI cable and haven't had trouble at all since.
No vPro on the Haswell NUC? The latest Ivy Bridge NUC has vPro, which you can use to control it when it's powered down.
So the new models have built in IR.

But why do they have a full sized SATA port in them? What can you fit in it that will fit!?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-06-09, 15:27)jammyb Wrote: But why do they have a full sized SATA port in them? What can you fit in it that will fit!?

Well the bare motherboards are available, separate from the barebones systems. Presumably the extra SATA port is useful for individuals and companies who wish to integrate the NUC-sized board into a slightly larger enclosure with, eg. a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD.
Ahhh yes. Very true!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-06-06, 18:15)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The Core i5 version is particularly interesting since it would have the Iris GPU (HD5000)

http://ark.intel.com/products/75028/Inte...o-2_60-GHz

The Core i3 has HD4400 GPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75107/Inte...e-1_70-GHz

The i3 may provide a quieter experience. The NUC is small and heat is an issue. It took a while to finally get my i3 NUC silent. I still haven't put in the BT/WiFi card be because of a concern for heat issues.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how much better the new processors behave from that perspective. I had to return a NUC because of a defective fan. Great service from Intel I might add.

In any case it would be nice to have a passively cooled version of the NUC. The current crop of replacement cases seem neat but aren't cheap, and not easy to find.

Philip
OpenELEC v3.0.5 is out.

Cured the blacks?

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

The fan noise of my i3 NUC (Toshiba HG-5 SSD, 4GB RAM) wasn't accepatable for me so I ordered the tranquil chassis- quite pricey but they gave me a discount after asking for one. I just got it today and it's amazing! One solid block of aluminum, quite heavy and valuable.

No more noise and the system is even cooler than with the fan.

OE 3.0.5 is running great on my i3 NUC.

I use a FLIRC and a Harmony 525, work's great since there is a new Harmony profile directly for the FLIRC (plugged into one back USB-port the reception ist still excellent).

SIMEREC PCS-1 is on it's way.

Summing up: This system is not cheap. I plan to use it for quite some time (should have enough ressources for 2-3 years). For me the price for a great looking, absolutely quiet system with great power under the hood is okay.
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24