• 91(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2013-08-16, 12:26)mrstarface Wrote:
(2013-08-16, 11:53)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2013-08-16, 09:57)d0dger Wrote: Huh ? I think I´ve read in this thread that it IS possible with NUC/Flirc to go in standby and wake it up with the remote again ? I was also about to buy this combination... argl, I just want a nice simple mediacenter which I can use the usual way, without letting it run 24/7 which is an absolut NoGo for me.
Does anyone know a combo which IS able to standby/wakeup by remote without hassle ? Preferably with Openelec !?!

I suspect they mean they cant power it totally off and back on again (although you can do that if you get one of those semeric devices and wire that up). I dont think there should be an issue with going to standby/sleep and waking up from that with the remote, although I only have experience with Windows 7 and Windows 8 doing this, rather than OpenElec

Thats interesting I'm not interested in powering completely off/on just being able to bring it our of standby/sleep would be good - but how do you do this with the NUC and FLIRC?
Well like I said, i dont have FLIRC/linux experience but on windows it just works - ie when in S3 standby mode, USB devices are able to wake up the PC. In my case I have a USB RC6 MCE remote receiver and use a logitech harmony remote. I just have to send the "Sleep" command to put it to sleep, and the same command wakes it up again. In windows you can go to the device and there is asetting whether it is allowed to wake the PC from standby or not. Similarly in the windows power management features you can choose whether USB devices are able to wake the PC from sleep and so on.

I assume that Linux/Flirc/OpenElec etc must have something similar. A quick google turned up this link (note i havent gone through it but just saying, im sure you should find info via google)
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1...on-ubuntu/

edit: and this link specifiaclly about XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._in_Ubuntu
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
The important thing is the USB IR device has enough power to wake USB. I dont have a flirc either and cant confirm but it sounds like it should. I can confirm that the Mediagate/AVS GP-IR02BK does but the Streamzap does NOT - I have both of those.

Ernie
(2013-08-16, 08:35)Bmul Wrote: @Legion455
Good to hear that the i5 works noticeable better, i have one coming in the mail tomorrow Big Grin
Probably some of the data is linked too your serial number /mac address of your motherboard in XBMC?
Do you notice anything from the frame rate of 23.976 still a problem with the HD4000 Ivy Bridge?
Some say yes, some say no?

I haven't noticed any problems at all. ... it runs smooth as silk!!! Smile

Legion
(2013-08-15, 17:25)mrstarface Wrote: I finally have my Celero NUC setup properly all running openelec and controlled with my Harmony Remote via Flirc.

I realise I cant switch the NUC off with my remote so planned to leave it on most of the time apart from when away for a few days but when I switch to watching TV/BluRay or turn everything off and then back on again I cant get a picture from the NUC unless I switch it off and then on again. Am guessing it something to do with the HDMI handshake maybe?

Anyone have an idea of how I can get round this?

I came across a hack somewhere which seems to be working on my setup.

Pin 19 of the hdmi plug is a hot-plug signal carrier.

So to test I've simply put a slip of insulating tape over it before inserting it.
First I used moninfo to create an inf file for my avr (pioneer vsx-2020) and set windows (v7) to use it.

Had to start then shut down then start the computer again and since that all is well.
No more xbmc crashes and continued audio etc when turning off the tv, projector, changing input on the avr or even turning off the avr Big Grin

Some people may find the the need to pull-up pin 19 to 5v using a 1k resistor to pin 18?

The original forum is here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...80a21fdc2/
Its quite long and has been going on for years - way to go microsoft!
(2013-08-16, 11:45)ironlung Wrote: Been running my i3 for a week in the living room now. Quite happy but I am using Aeon Nox and I notice that I get around 72C in idle mode in XBMC. Are there any recommandations on good skins where I can make custom menus together with custom sub menus, and who will not make the NUC as hot as 72C in idle?

Have in mind that what Intel considers a critical or dangerous temperature is anything beyond the 100 °C.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Com...n_features
(2013-08-16, 15:25)Thebluevoice Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 17:25)mrstarface Wrote: I finally have my Celero NUC setup properly all running openelec and controlled with my Harmony Remote via Flirc.

I realise I cant switch the NUC off with my remote so planned to leave it on most of the time apart from when away for a few days but when I switch to watching TV/BluRay or turn everything off and then back on again I cant get a picture from the NUC unless I switch it off and then on again. Am guessing it something to do with the HDMI handshake maybe?

Anyone have an idea of how I can get round this?

I came across a hack somewhere which seems to be working on my setup.

Pin 19 of the hdmi plug is a hot-plug signal carrier.

So to test I've simply put a slip of insulating tape over it before inserting it.
First I used moninfo to create an inf file for my avr (pioneer vsx-2020) and set windows (v7) to use it.

Had to start then shut down then start the computer again and since that all is well.
No more xbmc crashes and continued audio etc when turning off the tv, projector, changing input on the avr or even turning off the avr Big Grin

Some people may find the the need to pull-up pin 19 to 5v using a 1k resistor to pin 18?

The original forum is here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...80a21fdc2/
Its quite long and has been going on for years - way to go microsoft!
Sounds interesting... Your link isnt valid though, FYI
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2013-08-16, 12:26)mrstarface Wrote:
(2013-08-16, 11:53)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2013-08-16, 09:57)d0dger Wrote: Huh ? I think I´ve read in this thread that it IS possible with NUC/Flirc to go in standby and wake it up with the remote again ? I was also about to buy this combination... argl, I just want a nice simple mediacenter which I can use the usual way, without letting it run 24/7 which is an absolut NoGo for me.
Does anyone know a combo which IS able to standby/wakeup by remote without hassle ? Preferably with Openelec !?!

I suspect they mean they cant power it totally off and back on again (although you can do that if you get one of those semeric devices and wire that up). I dont think there should be an issue with going to standby/sleep and waking up from that with the remote, although I only have experience with Windows 7 and Windows 8 doing this, rather than OpenElec

Thats interesting I'm not interested in powering completely off/on just being able to bring it our of standby/sleep would be good - but how do you do this with the NUC and FLIRC?
Have you tried to set the power setting for "Shutdown function" within XBMC (on OpenELEC) to 'Suspend'?

In the Aeon Nux skin it's SYSTEM==>SYSTEM==>Power saving==>Shutdown function

This will automatically put the NUC into standby when it receives the "Power Off" command from the remote.

FWIW, this works very well for me using a Harmony 900 and a Windows MCE USB IR receiver and I have not even bothered to play with the FLIRC yet although I presume the FLIRC can be configured in a similar manner. The NUC goes into standby smoothly and wakes very quickly.
same for me.

The way I use my rc6 remote and the NUC,... dont need no simrec, etc , etc... ...
you do nothing, then after 30 minutes of idle ,... win8 goes to sleep,... when you want it back, just press the ON button on the remote,... and it wakes back up.
pretty simple.
(2013-08-16, 19:57)Legion455 Wrote: same for me.

The way I use my rc6 remote and the NUC,... dont need no simrec, etc , etc... ...
you do nothing, then after 30 minutes of idle ,... win8 goes to sleep,... when you want it back, just press the ON button on the remote,... and it wakes back up.
pretty simple.

I would of done that too. But in every encounter with sleep/resume I find it flaky upon resume I'd get display issues [wrong resolution/hz] or XBMC becomes unstable.

Simerec for me!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

What is the best / low cost adapter to split up the digital signal without any quality loss?

(2013-08-18, 14:33)Bmul Wrote: What is the best / low cost adapter to split up the digital signal without any quality loss?

To put it bluntly, there isn't anything out there that is practical. Any adapter I found was far too expensive to be even considered. Your better off getting a USB to optical out or an entirely different box. Or plug the HDMI into your tv and use your tvs digital/optical out. Unfortunately all except getting a new box will be lower 'quality'
So the best way is to upgrade my audio receiver, in my case.
It only has 1 digital input optical S/PDIF.

My HDTV supports 4x HDMI and optical S/PDIF out.

I was looking for away to play music without turning on the HDTV.
(2013-08-18, 17:41)Bmul Wrote: So the best way is to upgrade my audio receiver, in my case.
It only has 1 digital input optical S/PDIF.

My HDTV supports 4x HDMI and optical S/PDIF out.

I was looking for away to play music without turning on the HDTV.
And if you wisely upgrade your receiver, you won't even need to use any other device as many current receivers will directly play music via a home network.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LOIKX6/ref=...1_ST1_dp_1

I use this, but only for my headphones late at night.

Legion
(2013-08-18, 18:10)cadetdrivr Wrote: And if you wisely upgrade your receiver, you won't even need to use any other device as many current receivers will directly play music via a home network.

Thank you for pointing that out!

I am looking at the Onkyo, Marantz and Denon receivers now, They support Spotify.

5.1 channel is the best way to go for my living room.

Do you have more wise tips Big Grin
  • 91(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24