Is the Haswell NUC really worth it?
Dabs. Search 'Wilson Canyon i3 nuc' in Google and it's the first result.
(2013-10-25, 10:54)ChopD Wrote: Dabs. Search 'Wilson Canyon i3 nuc' in Google and it's the first result.

Great thanks ! Pre-ordered mine too Smile
iMac OS X 10.10, ATV3, LG 3D TV, Onkyo Home cinema 5.1,SLICE/OpenELEC/HELIX
I sold my NUC i3 (3217U) as a barebone (kept RAM, SSD etc.). Now I'm confused regarding the RAM in the new Haswell i3. Will the "old" still be suitable?
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2013-10-25, 13:20)micoba Wrote: I sold my NUC i3 (3217U) as a barebone (kept RAM, SSD etc.). Now I'm confused regarding the RAM in the new Haswell i3. Will the "old" still be suitable?

Only if it supports 1.35v afaik
Officially Intel state 1.35v only, but a lot of (well, certainly Crucial) RAM seems to be rated 1.35/1.5v. Others say running 1.5v in a 1.35v slot can be ok but also can lead to stability issues or run a bit hot.

When it comes to ram, especially considering how cheap it is, stability is king. Get something you can confirm at least rates it to do 1.35v if you can.
Can you guys recommend a specific 4gb ram kit for the new haswell NUCs?
I'm about to order the following for my Haswell NUC: http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/partspec...5664BF160B
The above 2gb from Crucial is what I'd go for as well, the important factors being 1600, C=11, 1.35v, as I understand it from everything I've read.

Personally, I've gone with this single 4gb with a view to putting another one in at a later date:
http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/partspec...1264BF160B

Here's the official compatibility list for the Haswell which may help, should you have not seen it:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034475.htm

You may note that the ram I went for is not the 'J' version listed by Intel (the CT51264BF160B rather than the CT51264BF160BJ). I believe the difference relates to chip density, so the J has bigger but fewer chips on board to achieve the 4gb storage. This means the J draws a little less power, but other than that I don't think there's any difference.
(2013-10-26, 06:37)voip-ninja Wrote: Can you guys recommend a specific 4gb ram kit for the new haswell NUCs?

Thinking on, you're probably asking about a matched pair....sorry.
Thanks for all of the info, the part that Camlann provided is probably what I will get ($25 USD from Amazon with free shipping). 4GB is probably overkill for OE anyway so I could always just put 2GB in initially and add a 2nd DIMM later if I wanted to run Windows instead of Linux.
Hi

I'm looking to purchase a Haswell Intel NUC D34010WYK, seems they are not yet available in the UK? They are listed on Dabs here however

Looking on eBay there are some available in the US.

Does anyone have one? and have you tried running OpenElec? Which is what I plan to use on it.

Many thanks
Just about had one of these from Amazon but while I had the damned thing in my basket the vendor apparently sold out of the last 15 he had or withdrew the sales. $399 plus $8 shipping was the best I'd found and undercut all of the other in-stock vendors by a good bit! Amazon hasn't managed to actually ship any of these themselves have they? I'm probabl going to go with the Crucial memory Amazon is listing, the Intel wireless card (not sure I need it honestly), and a Plextor 128GB mSATA SSD as it seems to be the best balance of size, performance, and cost. I was hunting the i5 NUC. Guess I have to wait a bit longer for the supply pipe to fill and the price gougers to to knock it off. For something that folks thought was going to go as low as $360 this sucker sure hasn't come close to that pricepoint yet Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Opps...nevermind...
Does the intell NUC need a mSATA SSD or It can run XBMC from a USB 3.0 pendrive wihtout a hard drive?

I've seen in a box some strange specs that said it needs a mSATA hard drive.
(2013-11-25, 16:46)javiertoti Wrote: Does the intell NUC need a mSATA SSD or It can run XBMC from a USB 3.0 pendrive wihtout a hard drive?

I've seen in a box some strange specs that said it needs a mSATA hard drive.

USB thumb drive can be used.
If later of any kind of reasons you find out to be slow you can allways choose SSD afterwards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is the Haswell NUC really worth it?0