• 13(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-01-29, 01:31)JasonHoffman Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 01:27)StigMX5 Wrote: Anyone else find that the Intel instructions (link) to use for Ubuntu do not work with the Openelec installer?

It states you turn off the Legacy boot option. With that off, Openelec installer will not come up. If you turn it on, it will boot to the installer but the installer locks once started.

That's exactly my experience last night. With legacy boot off the install media isn't recognized. With legacy boot on the media boots but the installer locks up. I mentioned this to someone on the team and he suggested trying a USB 3 stick for install media. I'll give this a try tonight.

Jason

Almost everything is working quite well with Openelec. I've been testing it out for a couple of days. The only issue I'm having is Bluetooth. I enabled Bluetooth (under services) and it seems to work up to the point of actually pairing. I can see my Bluetooth devices but when I try to connect to one it connects momentarily, then disconnects and I get a pop-up saying "Bluetooth Error: No such file exists"

Jason
(2014-01-30, 20:31)JasonHoffman Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 01:31)JasonHoffman Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 01:27)StigMX5 Wrote: Anyone else find that the Intel instructions (link) to use for Ubuntu do not work with the Openelec installer?

It states you turn off the Legacy boot option. With that off, Openelec installer will not come up. If you turn it on, it will boot to the installer but the installer locks once started.

That's exactly my experience last night. With legacy boot off the install media isn't recognized. With legacy boot on the media boots but the installer locks up. I mentioned this to someone on the team and he suggested trying a USB 3 stick for install media. I'll give this a try tonight.

Jason

Almost everything is working quite well with Openelec. I've been testing it out for a couple of days. The only issue I'm having is Bluetooth. I enabled Bluetooth (under services) and it seems to work up to the point of actually pairing. I can see my Bluetooth devices but when I try to connect to one it connects momentarily, then disconnects and I get a pop-up saying "Bluetooth Error: No such file exists"

Jason

Have you gotten the built-in infrared to work?
(2014-01-30, 22:23)unknown_owner Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 20:31)JasonHoffman Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 01:31)JasonHoffman Wrote: That's exactly my experience last night. With legacy boot off the install media isn't recognized. With legacy boot on the media boots but the installer locks up. I mentioned this to someone on the team and he suggested trying a USB 3 stick for install media. I'll give this a try tonight.

Jason

Jason

Built-in infrared worked without any changes by me. I tested it with my media center remote last night and it worked great. It even goes back to the main XBMC screen when you hit the Windows button.

Jason
Using OpenElec - how is the overall speed of the UI during general naviagtion around the UI and its response to remote key's? Someone a few pages back made note of it being a bit sluggish. Is this true?

The one thing I can not live with is a laggy UI experience so this is key for me when deciding between this celeron and the i3.

TIA
(2014-01-30, 01:27)mhaaland Wrote: 10.2 watts 1080p HD-Audio with Openelec.

Thanks, very much appreciated!
(2014-01-30, 23:12)mr plow Wrote: Using OpenElec - how is the overall speed of the UI during general naviagtion around the UI and its response to remote key's? Someone a few pages back made note of it being a bit sluggish. Is this true?

The one thing I can not live with is a laggy UI experience so this is key for me when deciding between this celeron and the i3.

TIA

I'm not happy with the speed at all, my acer revo 3700 is snappier. Upped the video ram to 512mb in the bios, seemingly did nothing. Noticed there was some refresh rate/playback issue on 1080p videos also, not 100% smooth.

Maybe it's a nightly build thing, but I don't think this box has enough guts.

Will wait for the i3 revision!
(2014-01-30, 23:38)bogchop Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 23:12)mr plow Wrote: Using OpenElec - how is the overall speed of the UI during general naviagtion around the UI and its response to remote key's? Someone a few pages back made note of it being a bit sluggish. Is this true?

TIA

I'm not happy with the speed at all, my acer revo 3700 is snappier. Upped the video ram to 512mb in the bios, seemingly did nothing. Noticed there was some refresh rate/playback issue on 1080p videos also, not 100% smooth.

That's disappointing, and a bit surprising given all the positive reviews from the previous celeron nucs. I've been debating between this and the i3 haswell nuc, but your comment + the DTS-HD problem for win8 is definitely making me lean towards the i3 haswell despite the 2x cost.
Just something extra in the mix for consideration - http://www.asus.com/Eee_Box_PCs/EB1037/#overview

New bay trail, fanless, with an nvidia GPU.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2014-01-30, 09:08)dCrypt Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 01:53)mhaaland Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 01:34)dCrypt Wrote: Hi,

Can you describe the setup? HDD/USB/SSD/mSATA/..., RAM, other devices, ...

Kind regards.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard. K400
4 gb Crucial Ram. CT51264BF160B
Vertex 2 SSD 60gb
GB Lan

Thanks for the info.

That seems a bit high to me, compared with the <10w power consumption of the Haswell i5 NUC.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1373-page4.html

The Haswell i5 is a 15w TDP CPU, while the N2820 is a 7.5w TDP.

Just did another check and it fluctuates between 9.7 and 10.0. This is with the wireless card installed. Maybe i could shave off .5 - 1 more watt if i take that out?
(2014-01-30, 23:38)bogchop Wrote:

TIA

Theres definitely something wrong, XBMC runs much smoother under Windows 8.1. Also video quality is superior and theres no issues with buffering and seeking NFS content over wired LAN like I was having under Openelec. I'd stay away Openelec for now.
(2014-01-31, 02:19)mhaaland Wrote: Just did another check and it fluctuates between 9.7 and 10.0. This is with the wireless card installed. Maybe i could shave off .5 - 1 more watt if i take that out?

What's power draw like when idle? It's possible the 10w figure for the N2820 is with software decoding
Another night of fiddling with my nuc and its pretty much up and running with Ubuntu. The graphics drivers aren't great (it thinks I have a VGA and a HDMI plugged in which causes it to glitch out every now and again - I don't, I just have the one 1080p screen hooked up via HDMI) and the bluetooth comes in and out seemingly at random.

The good news is though video playback at 1080p through both VLC and XBMC are excellent. Sound is coming through in sync, no dropped frames, its a very pleasant experience. The XBMC menus are very slick, though the Ubuntu menus (the ones with transparency at least) are a bit slow, which I think is again related to the graphics drivers.

Also maybe of note is that I managed to get Netflix running via wine via XBMC - again running full screen at a nice high resolution and very watchable. Youtube isn't so good but I think that's Ubuntu's flash issues.

One point to note - I tried enabling the fast boot option in the BIOS - sounds like a good thing to turn on right? Wrong! It pretty much bricked the system. Literally nothing was happening on power on after changing that setting. I remedied it by removing the jumper on the board which enabled me to restore factory default BIOS settings - phew!
Hey guys,

Quick question. I just gut my NUC up and running with Openelec and cant figure out how to get SuperTV or NaviX XBMC addons on to it. Anyone want to point me in the right direction? Should I have gone with Ubantu instead?

Thanks in advance. Send me a message if u dont want to post it here
(2014-01-30, 22:27)JasonHoffman Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 22:23)unknown_owner Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 20:31)JasonHoffman Wrote: Almost everything is working quite well with Openelec. I've been testing it out for a couple of days. The only issue I'm having is Bluetooth. I enabled Bluetooth (under services) and it seems to work up to the point of actually pairing. I can see my Bluetooth devices but when I try to connect to one it connects momentarily, then disconnects and I get a pop-up saying "Bluetooth Error: No such file exists"

Jason

Built-in infrared worked without any changes by me. I tested it with my media center remote last night and it worked great. It even goes back to the main XBMC screen when you hit the Windows button.

Jason

Wierd, I have a MCE remote and it doesn't work at all. I even got my ARRX18G programmable remote that is programmed to the MCE remote and that doesn't work as well. I have checked and my setting is checked to enable the IR receiver in the Bios.

Jason are you using the same nightly build r17148 or another build? you do have the DN2820FYK correct? Oh what model remote are you using? I have the VRC-1100

Does anyone know how to tell if the IR receiver is enabled (via ssh)?
(2014-01-31, 06:55)JohnnyD Wrote: Hey guys,

Quick question. I just gut my NUC up and running with Openelec and cant figure out how to get SuperTV or NaviX XBMC addons on to it. Anyone want to point me in the right direction? Should I have gone with Ubantu instead?

Thanks in advance. Send me a message if u dont want to post it here

I got Navi-x installed and it runs fine. I can't remember where I found the exact instructions but it was something where you download latest zip found here: https://code.google.com/p/navi-x/. Then you extract the zip file and edit the addon.xml so that you change the version from 1.0 to 2.1.0 in the line that looks like this:

<import addon="xbmc.python" version="1.0"/>

Zip it back up and install from the xbmc addon menu.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5