Raspberry Pi only faster!!
Having researched the possible replacements for my aging HTPC, running purely Openelec, I am back to my RPi. It does everything I want only its just a little too slow on the GUI and loading, despite all the latest software improvements plus running off USB

NUC's just seem way too expensive and other all in one boxes don't seem to be working correctly yet

Any ideas guys or is it going to be a long wait for a RPI mk2?
I'm looking for something to replace my RPI too. The eBay Android ones seem pretty tempting but what's the catch?
It's like with everything bud.

The more you spend, the better the experience. Smile

There isn't really an in-between.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

What type of RPI do you have? 256mb or 512mb?
I've spent a fortune trying to get my RPI to be a slick as possible but it just isn't there yet.

What is the Rolls Royce of all in one XBMC hardware?

I have a 512MB one.
Have you tried MilHouse's builds / Amber skin / Lower fanart & poster / Overclock / MilHouse's pre-cache textures script?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-02-07, 14:59)xbs08 Wrote: Have you tried MilHouse's builds / Amber skin / Lower fanart & poster / Overclock / MilHouse's pre-cache textures script?

Although I have a beefy machine,...I love the Amber skin.
My only complaint is that you can't move forward in a movie by clicking another area like you can with Confluence.
You can get a celeron or baytrail based NUC for <$150, add some ram, maybe a hdd/msata drive (or even just a quality USB Drive) and run OE.

Ignoring the Andriod variants for a sec, this question gets asked a lot:

Cheap as possible XMBC (espically if you have some items laying around, like usb chargers/SD cards)

Rasberry PI $35 - $100

Willing to spend a little more money, and want to get up to an ACTUAL PC

Entry level NUC (celeron/baytrail/etc) $139 - $250

Want some specifics, like 3D, HI-10 support, whatever

Mid level NUC (i3/i5, probably a haswell at this point) $250 ++

Otherwise, figure out exactly how much power you need, find a nice case, and build it yourself.

There are LOTs of these newer low power boxes out right now, and some of them are good, have support, and some seem like utter shit. You'll have to look them up, and find the main threads (right in this forum) and read up on them for yourself. Is there a lot of fluff, strange info out there? YEP. Put on your boots, and wade through it.

There is a lot of discussion and not as much concensus as you would think for the BEST <$100 HTPC machine, ready to go out of the gate.
(2014-02-07, 14:59)xbs08 Wrote: Have you tried MilHouse's builds / Amber skin / Lower fanart & poster / Overclock / MilHouse's pre-cache textures script?

Could you provide a link to Milhouse's builds and script?

I have tried Amber but it has a delay when I click into Films or TV which is quite annoying. I sometimes end up clicking twice as I don't think the first click has worked.

I don't use fanart at all but how do you lower poster?

What overclock settings do you recommend?

(2014-02-07, 16:53)00b5 Wrote: You can get a celeron or baytrail based NUC for <$150, add some ram, maybe a hdd/msata drive (or even just a quality USB Drive) and run OE.

Ignoring the Andriod variants for a sec, this question gets asked a lot:

Cheap as possible XMBC (espically if you have some items laying around, like usb chargers/SD cards)

Rasberry PI $35 - $100

Willing to spend a little more money, and want to get up to an ACTUAL PC

Entry level NUC (celeron/baytrail/etc) $139 - $250

Want some specifics, like 3D, HI-10 support, whatever

Mid level NUC (i3/i5, probably a haswell at this point) $250 ++

Otherwise, figure out exactly how much power you need, find a nice case, and build it yourself.

There are LOTs of these newer low power boxes out right now, and some of them are good, have support, and some seem like utter shit. You'll have to look them up, and find the main threads (right in this forum) and read up on them for yourself. Is there a lot of fluff, strange info out there? YEP. Put on your boots, and wade through it.

There is a lot of discussion and not as much concensus as you would think for the BEST <$100 HTPC machine, ready to go out of the gate.

NUC's in the UK are quite a bit more than that :-( one with a network card is over $300. It doesn't have infrared either, which I want.
(2014-02-07, 17:14)sublow Wrote: NUC's in the UK are quite a bit more than that :-( one with a network card is over $300. It doesn't have infrared either, which I want.

First hit on google give's me a price of 190,- pound. (incl vat)
This includes 2GB mem and 30GB msata.

google: Intel NUC DN2820FYK UK

This is the new Bay trail nuc with IR.
What about a Gigabyte Brix?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DP...2KG67ABXJR
(2014-02-07, 17:14)sublow Wrote: Could you provide a link to Milhouse's builds and script?

I have tried Amber but it has a delay when I click into Films or TV which is quite annoying. I sometimes end up clicking twice as I don't think the first click has worked.

I don't use fanart at all but how do you lower poster?

What overclock settings do you recommend?

Latest Milhouse build
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1621600

See he's sig for the script.

It's done via advancedsettings.xml <imageres>

At least High preset - 950/250/450/6 (arm/core/sdram/ov), on a good charger, minimum 1A.

PS: Using a USB pendrive (ideally 3.0) as /Storage will give a major boost in performance.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
What about the Ouya?
Not too many people are talking about this, but I bought 2 XUs *$169* and just 1 U3 *$59* from Odroid XU Lite and U3! The XU is amazing, very fast android or linux *i love android*, you can do emulation, Aereo *with FakeGPS* for local, XBMC HW, and everything else normal android can do.

Great customer service, price, and a growing community. The U3 is basically a SGIII, and the XU is basically a SG4.
(2014-02-07, 13:50)sublow Wrote: I've spent a fortune trying to get my RPI to be a slick as possible but it just isn't there yet.

what you bought to make it quicker?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi only faster!!0