• 17(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Thanks to Matt Devo for the instructions and script! I'm having a similar problem to others in that I set up a dual boot for OpenElec, but I don't see anything on the screen. I'm using an Onkyo AVR feeding a Samsung HDTV. Hitting ESC 2 seems to do nothing for me. I just see a black screen. I'm a newbie, so its entirely possible I just missed something. I can hit Ctrl D to get into Chrome, and that displays.
(2014-06-08, 23:20)goldenrod Wrote: Thanks to Matt Devo for the instructions and script! I'm having a similar problem to others in that I set up a dual boot for OpenElec, but I don't see anything on the screen. I'm using an Onkyo AVR feeding a Samsung HDTV. Hitting ESC 2 seems to do nothing for me. I just see a black screen. I'm a newbie, so its entirely possible I just missed something.

so you ran the script twice? what happens when you try to boot OpenELEC? Are you using [CTRL-l]? [ESC] [2] won't do anything for you unless you're trying to boot from a USB stick, which you don't need to do.
(2014-06-08, 23:22)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-08, 23:20)goldenrod Wrote: Thanks to Matt Devo for the instructions and script! I'm having a similar problem to others in that I set up a dual boot for OpenElec, but I don't see anything on the screen. I'm using an Onkyo AVR feeding a Samsung HDTV. Hitting ESC 2 seems to do nothing for me. I just see a black screen. I'm a newbie, so its entirely possible I just missed something.

so you ran the script twice? what happens when you try to boot OpenELEC? Are you using [CTRL-l]? [ESC] [2] won't do anything for you unless you're trying to boot from a USB stick, which you don't need to do.

Yes, I ran the script twice. I don't see anything when I try Ctrl L. I am able to change the boot options and boot into Chrome by default. I'm just not sure why I don't see anything on the screen when booting to OpenELEC.

Update: Plugged the Chromebox into a Dell monitor (1920x1080) and had the same problem, so I don't think it's an HDMI handshaking issue. I'm stumped.
(2014-06-08, 23:32)goldenrod Wrote: Yes, I ran the script twice. I don't see anything when I try Ctrl L. I am able to change the boot options and boot into Chrome by default. I'm just not sure why I don't see anything on the screen when booting to OpenELEC.

Update: Plugged the Chromebox into a Dell monitor (1920x1080) and had the same problem, so I don't think it's an HDMI handshaking issue. I'm stumped.

this isn't the same issue others are reporting, but even if it were, the screen should refresh as soon as OE loads. Hit me up on Google chat/hangouts and I'll walk you thru a few things to check
Hi,

So I finally jumped the bandwagon and tomorrow i'll pick up my Chromebox!
Got very excited about the box after reading through this thread (and the annoucement thread) Smile !

I just have one question before i'll start setting it all up:

Is the high CPU usage only gone when using a stand-alone setup or also when using a dualboot setup (OpenElec + ChromeOS)?

I think I want to start with a dualboot and also see what ChromeOS is all about, but if that means the device performs suboptimal i'd rather just go with a stand-alone setup.

Can't wait to get started tomorrow Smile !
(2014-06-09, 16:57)Smobbo Wrote: Hi,

Got very excited about the box after reading through this thread (and the annoucement thread) Smile !

Is the high CPU usage only gone when using a stand-alone setup or also when using a dualboot setup (OpenElec + ChromeOS)?

I think I want to start with a dualboot and also see what ChromeOS is all about, but if that means the device performs suboptimal i'd rather just go with a stand-alone setup.

standalone = no issues
dual boot + 2GB ram + OE/Ubuntu = high CPU (Arch doesn't have an issue?)
dual boot + 4GB + OE = no issues (Ubuntu still does apparently?)
(2014-06-09, 17:00)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 16:57)Smobbo Wrote: Hi,

standalone = no issues
dual boot + 2GB ram + OE/Ubuntu = high CPU (Arch doesn't have an issue?)
dual boot + 4GB + OE = no issues (Ubuntu still does apparently?)

Tnx for the quick reply!
I'll go with the stand alone for now then (i have the 2GB version).
I would appreciate some help.

I am stuck at the "Booting from Hard Disk" screen. I wanted to do the standalone XBMC boot, and I followed directions, however, pressing ESC does nothing and I am never allowed to select a boot device. Most of the information I have found in this thread applies to the dual boot problems. AS I read it none of it applies in my case.

Holding in the recovery button and booting does nothing. Instructions say I should have 5s to press escape the "booting from hard disk" message comes up immediately.

I followed the instructions in the wiki to download chromium too... Takes me to a the google help site that says to download their chrome os recovery tool. I downloaded it and ran it. When I click on the "local image" option, it won't let me select the .iso for chromium. Another dead end.

I followed the instructions at the front of this thread closely. I skipped over the stuff about dual boot and legacy bios as it indicated it only applied to dual boot. Everything went exactly as written in the standalone instructions until I rebooted to actually load openelec.

I'm using a USB2 thumb drive. do I need to use USB3 (I can't imagine that's the problem though.)

What do I do now? I'm basically stuck at this boot screen and I can't do a thing...
(2014-06-09, 18:51)trick420 Wrote: I would appreciate some help.

I am stuck at the "Booting from Hard Disk" screen. I wanted to do the standalone XBMC boot, and I followed directions, however, pressing ESC does nothing and I am never allowed to select a boot device. Most of the information I have found in this thread applies to the dual boot problems. AS I read it none of it applies in my case.

Holding in the recovery button and booting does nothing. Instructions say I should have 5s to press escape the "booting from hard disk" message comes up immediately.

this is correct, the recovery button is useless once you have flashed the Coreboot firmware for standalone mode. The 'booting from hard disk' msg comes up immediately when it does not detect a bootable USB stick connected. Try using a different USB stick (you will need to download OpenELEC and use their Create InstallStick tool).

Quote:I followed the instructions in the wiki to download chromium too... Takes me to a the google help site that says to download their chrome os recovery tool. I downloaded it and ran it. When I click on the "local image" option, it won't let me select the .iso for chromium. Another dead end.

You are confusing the two steps. The Chromium ISO needs to be written to a USB stick using Win32 Disk Imager, which then allows you to boot ChromiumOS and re-flash your stock firmware, so that you can use the Google recovery tool/recovery media. But you don't need to do this at all.

Quote:I followed the instructions at the front of this thread closely. I skipped over the stuff about dual boot and legacy bios as it indicated it only applied to dual boot. Everything went exactly as written in the standalone instructions until I rebooted to actually load openelec.

I'm using a USB2 thumb drive. do I need to use USB3 (I can't imagine that's the problem though.)

What do I do now? I'm basically stuck at this boot screen and I can't do a thing...

As above, use a different USB stick for installing OpenELEC, as it's not detecting the one you are using for some reason.
(2014-06-09, 18:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 18:51)trick420 Wrote: I would appreciate some help.

this is correct, the recovery button is useless once you have flashed the Coreboot firmware for standalone mode. The 'booting from hard disk' msg comes up immediately when it does not detect a bootable USB stick connected. Try using a different USB stick (you will need to download OpenELEC and use their Create InstallStick tool).

Ok, thank you for the clarification. This did the trick. I went out and purchased a new drive at lunch and I got it to recognize and boot.

Now, when I pressed 2 to boot, it acted like it was booting and then the screen went black. I'm currently using the displayport output. Is it now not supported? Do I need to just use HDMI (which I'll have to wait until I get home to do)

Jeff
(2014-06-09, 20:02)trick420 Wrote: Ok, thank you for the clarification. This did the trick. I went out and purchased a new drive at lunch and I got it to recognize and boot.

Now, when I pressed 2 to boot, it acted like it was booting and then the screen went black. I'm currently using the displayport output. Is it now not supported? Do I need to just use HDMI (which I'll have to wait until I get home to do)

Jeff

DisplayPort works fine, it's what I'm using here. It's possible that the USB stick has some hidden partitions that might be causing an issue. I'd suggest re-partitioning as a single partition and then re-formatting (FAT32) and then create the install stick using OE's tool.
(2014-06-09, 20:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 20:02)trick420 Wrote: Ok, thank you for the clarification. This did the trick. I went out and purchased a new drive at lunch and I got it to recognize and boot.

Jeff

DisplayPort works fine, it's what I'm using here. It's possible that the USB stick has some hidden partitions that might be causing an issue. I'd suggest re-partitioning as a single partition and then re-formatting (FAT32) and then create the install stick using OE's tool.

No love so far. Two brand spankin' new USB sticks. I tried creating the boot image in OSx as well as on a Win7 machine. They both allow me to select the drive and both show me that they're booting and then blammo - black screen.

These are Lexar 8GB drives. Any other ideas I can try in the absence of a HDMI cable?

Jeff
(2014-06-09, 20:44)trick420 Wrote: No love so far. Two brand spankin' new USB sticks. I tried creating the boot image in OSx as well as on a Win7 machine. They both allow me to select the drive and both show me that they're booting and then blammo - black screen.

These are Lexar 8GB drives. Any other ideas I can try in the absence of a HDMI cable?

Jeff

nothing to do with HDMI vs DisplayPort.

just to be clear, you are downloading the OpenELEC 4.0.4 Generic x86_64 tar file, decompressing, then running the createinstallstick utility to set up the USB stick?
(2014-06-09, 20:47)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 20:44)trick420 Wrote: No love so far. Two brand spankin' new USB sticks. I tried creating the boot image in OSx as well as on a Win7 machine. They both allow me to select the drive and both show me that they're booting and then blammo - black screen.

Jeff

just to be clear, you are downloading the OpenELEC 4.0.4 Generic x86_64 tar file, decompressing, then running the createinstallstick utility to set up the USB stick?

Yes, that's exactly what I did... I did it in both OSx and in Win7 with the exact same result. Right now I'm writing a Chromium OS image to a drive to try to see if I can get anywhere with that.
(2014-06-09, 20:59)trick420 Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 20:47)Matt Devo Wrote:

Jeff

Yes, that's exactly what I did... I did it in both OSx and in Win7 with the exact same result. Right now I'm writing a Chromium OS image to a drive to try to see if I can get anywhere with that.

I'm starting to think that this is a monitor issue - I'm trying to go DisplayPort to HDMI into a Samsung SyncMaster T24. It's acting like it can't adjust to display the resolution properly or something...
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37