• 54(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Will this work with the ASUS CUBE with Google TV?
(2014-07-27, 21:11)Shawbeau Wrote: Will this work with the ASUS CUBE with Google TV?

No, completely different device
Firstly, thank you Matt for all of your effort Smile

Thought I would mention, USB seems somewhat broken in 4.1.2. It makes 4.1.2 unusable for me, and might be hitting other people.

With my USB3 ext Seagate Expansion HDD connected via a USB2 hub ( since USB3 with it is not 100% reliable ), USB falls over with just about every access attempt. I've made a post about it with OpenElec too:

http://openelec.tv/forum/65-storage/7217...not-stable

Just mentioning as I was forced to downgrade to 4.0.7, and I'm probably not alone.
(2014-07-28, 08:58)sam34 Wrote: Firstly, thank you Matt for all of your effort Smile

Thought I would mention, USB seems somewhat broken in 4.1.2. It makes 4.1.2 unusable for me, and might be hitting other people.

With my USB3 ext Seagate Expansion HDD connected via a USB2 hub ( since USB3 with it is not 100% reliable ), USB falls over with just about every access attempt. I've made a post about it with OpenElec too:

http://openelec.tv/forum/65-storage/7217...not-stable

Just mentioning as I was forced to downgrade to 4.0.7, and I'm probably not alone.

Is this with the drive directly connected, via the USB2 hub, or both? I don't have a USB3 external drive handy to test, just USB3 flash drives, which work fine. Your best bet is to report the issue in the IRC channel, since the devs are active there.
Hi, I have successfully installed OpenELEC on the Asus Chromebox and everything is working flawlessly so far. But I was wondering if there is a way to turn ON the Chromebox from a complete cold start through WOL using a remote control app such as Yatse. I know this is definitely possible on the Intel NUC when running OpenELEC because I own one. The Yatse app turns my cell phone into a complete remote control for my NUC without the use of any other USB IR remotes, Flirk, CEC adapters or whatever else is out there. This isn't really a big deal for me since I can still put the chromebox on SUSPEND mode and I can use Yatse to turn it back on literally within one second. Which by the way, I was really impressed with the 6-7 second boot time from a cold start using this script. Thanks Matt for the great work!!!
(2014-07-28, 18:13)chalo_kool Wrote: Hi, I have successfully installed OpenELEC on the Asus Chromebox and everything is working flawlessly so far. But I was wondering if there is a way to turn ON the Chromebox from a complete cold start through WOL using a remote control app such as Yatse. I know this is definitely possible on the Intel NUC when running OpenELEC because I own one. The Yatse app turns my cell phone into a complete remote control for my NUC without the use of any other USB IR remotes, Flirk, CEC adapters or whatever else is out there. This isn't really a big deal for me since I can still put the chromebox on SUSPEND mode and I can use Yatse to turn it back on literally within one second. Which by the way, I was really impressed with the 6-7 second boot time from a cold start using this script. Thanks Matt for the great work!!!

Suspend only
Ok kool...Thanks for the quick reply Matt. Suspend mode is just perfect for me. I was just curious to know that maybe I did something wrong during the process. Thanks again.
(2014-07-24, 14:53)Firehand Wrote: I got slight problem after using Coreboot succesfully for few months as my new TV seems to ignore signal from Asus Chromebox.

Device: Asus Chromebox with Celeron, newest CoreBoot (updated last night) & OpenElec as standalone installation.

Everything worked just fine with old tv & other TVs in the house, but new ProCaster tv seems to have decided that Chromebox ain't sending any signal and I'm not sure what to try anymore.

I have updated Coreboot, changed HDMI-cables, ports, tried other HDMI-devices (all worked), tried booting with HDMI unplugged, hot plugging etc. Even with DisplayPort-cable connected to my computer screen and fiddling with OpenElec screen options, still no change. Not even bios loading screen, so seems like device problem, not OpenElec problem.

I got DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter coming next week to try that out but if that doesn't help, then I'm lost at what more to try.

Okay, not sure what happened now... But just wierdly, the TV started showing HDMI picture from Chromebox... Not straight from box, but if I route it with small HDMI switch (and only port 2 from 3 ports, all others give "no signal"). And then, first I only got half-picture, after switching refresh between 29.97 & 30, I got full picture.

Also, it only seems to work with certain 2 HDMI cables... Both cheap China thin HDMI cables, but only when they are at certain order (No 1 between Chromebox->Switch and No 2 between Switch->TV), if I switch even those 2 cables, no picture. All other HDMI cables (I got about 10 in house), no signal.

Ah well, I don't understand it (especially since switch is small pass-through model, without electronics) but it works and that's good enough...
Is there any way to install a CIR in the ASUS Chromebox?

Another Issue: when i start the box first i got no pictures on the screen. I must start the av receiver first. U got this too? I got coreboot 1.7.5.9 i thought this was already fixed?!
(2014-07-29, 06:54)magy77 Wrote: Is there any way to install a CIR in the ASUS Chromebox?

Another Issue: when i start the box first i got no pictures on the screen. I must start the av receiver first. U got this too? I got coreboot 1.7.5.9 i thought this was already fixed?!

I'm not sure about the CIR, but I doubt it.

If your display or AVR isn't on when the ChromeBox is powered on, it won't display anything, since there's no HDMI handshake, and the CB can't determine the capabilities of the display (resolution, refresh, timing, etc). That's an issue with the Intel VGA BIOS. I could potentially tweak that, but that's uncharted territory.
(2014-07-29, 18:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 06:54)magy77 Wrote: Is there any way to install a CIR in the ASUS Chromebox?

I'm not sure about the CIR, but I doubt it.

If your display or AVR isn't on when the ChromeBox is powered on, it won't display anything, since there's no HDMI handshake, and the CB can't determine the capabilities of the display (resolution, refresh, timing, etc). That's an issue with the Intel VGA BIOS. I could potentially tweak that, but that's uncharted territory.

That would be verry nice. Anybody needs a challenge Smile
(2014-07-29, 18:20)magy77 Wrote: That would be verry nice. Anybody needs a challenge Smile

PM me and I'll send you a test version. You're using HDMI?
Matt Devo I am thinking about getting this? Well I did have one but returned it to try Amazon Fire TV instead. The Fire TV is ok but seems little laggy. I was wondering how much better this might be?

Here is a post I made with my setup now etc.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200910
(2014-07-29, 18:56)rmilyard Wrote: Matt Devo I am thinking about getting this? Well I did have one but returned it to try Amazon Fire TV instead. The Fire TV is ok but seems little laggy. I was wondering how much better this might be?

the ChromeBox is a far superior XBMC-only setup compared to the FTV. It has a few idiosyncrasies, but they are pretty well documented, and my setup script makes things pretty easy. The only downsides compared to the FTV are cost and lack of built-in IR.
(2014-07-29, 19:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 18:56)rmilyard Wrote: Matt Devo I am thinking about getting this? Well I did have one but returned it to try Amazon Fire TV instead. The Fire TV is ok but seems little laggy. I was wondering how much better this might be?

the ChromeBox is a far superior XBMC-only setup compared to the FTV. It has a few idiosyncrasies, but they are pretty well documented, and my setup script makes things pretty easy. The only downsides compared to the FTV are cost and lack of built-in IR.

Guessing can add IR usb or something? Never used Openelec before so would be learning but pretty easy to get setup and running?
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37