• 58(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
Really excited to try this out because I'm hoping that it can deinterlace the strange content from my cable provider whereas Yadif was having trouble. Question though - there was the driver bug that was apparently causing tearing & hanging so that you had to disable "Prefer VAAPI Render method". Is this still an issue? If you disable that, doesn't it disable the hardware assisted filtering including the deinterlace methods?
Just try it out. I added all the fixes that have been produced into the intel driver since then, including the joe_sample fix.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Sounds good, will try it as soon as I get a chance.
Soooo.... turns out MADI & MACI both have the same issue as the software Yadif with my cable content. Sad
Not really sure if this issue is an issue with the deinterlacer. They are quite "dump" and only react on the way they are filled :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yea, I agree, just providing the info. Not really surprised that it's the same result, was hoping that one might handle it better than the other though. Oh well.
Dumbo question incoming,
Which de-interlacer should give better outpute the new "motion-adaptive" or "motion-compensated". I have poor eyesight but others in the family don't but they lack the incling to properly look and I'm a fussy fool.
Thanks
lol :-)
If you have some segfaults, e.g. xbmc is restarting itself without anything relevant in the logfiles. This problem known - it's a bug in the driver which segfaults. I have reported the relevant logfiles to the intel developer. Also remember that this driver which makes mcdi and madi usable is _a_prerelease_ driver. We are very thankful that gwenole of intel gave us this driver to get our code in shape.

We hope for a 1.4.0 intel release which will have all the quality we will need.
Think I've just installed the new driver and XBMC/Kodi build from the PPAs. I get the new VAAPI options for de-interlacing.

However on native 1080/50i content on a Haswell 2955U they are unusable. The de-interlaced frames are presented out of order, so you get very juddery, jerky motion as the frames jump forwards and backwards in time. Tried with both VAAPI preferred render options. VAAPI Bob, Bob and De-interlace are all fine.

Log here : http://paste.ubuntu.com/8130473/

Am running XBMC 14.0-ALPHA3 Git : 93e742b (Compiled : Aug 24 2014) under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, with XFCE as the XBMC window manager (I think)

According to apt-cache I'm running : libva-intel-vaapi-driver: Installed: 1.3.3~pre3-1~trusty

Have I done something wrong (have I installed the right Intel driver package?) - or are Haswell de-interlacing modes still borked?

(I'm running on a Chromebox with a single 2GB RAM SODIMM and have no control over the amount of RAM allocated to the GPU - as the Chromebox doesn't have a user-editable BIOS as other x86 platforms do)
No. All tested hsw versions were fine until now.
Reboot and post vainfo Plesse.
Sure this is something I've done wrong...
Here's the output of vainfo straight after a reboot :
http://paste.ubuntu.com/8130618/
Wrong driver - it even tells version 1.3.0

please post the complete output - it's missing which drv actually is loaded.

Has to look like that:
Code:
fritsch@t440s:~$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.2
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.2.pre1)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Haswell Mobile - 1.3.3.pre1
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :    VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
Yes - thought it was the wrong driver - how do I update? I did an apt-get install libva-intel-vaapi-driver after adding the ppa for wsnipex's vaapi - is there something else I should do?

I followed the vainfo guide in the original post which suggests :
Code:
DISPLAY=:0 vainfo | pastebinit
and that is the link I posted.

I get this returned before the URL:
Code:
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
http://paste.ubuntu.com/8131211/