• 88(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-07-16, 00:43)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 00:02)Walrus Wrote: As a follow up, the Rosewill remote it comes with behaves the same. I have to hit the power on button on the remote numerous times to get it to turn on. Once on, all buttons work, and pressing power once turns it off (suspend) every time. Must be a dongle issue.

in that case, a different receiver may work better for you. Here's one of the HP ones I've used/tested (no affiliation): http://www.ebay.com/itm/191049086497

Ok, I ordered an HP receiver, the 5187-4593 one, and it still will NOT wake from sleep. Once on, the receiver works fine for everything. It just won't wake at all. Any suggestions? The shutdown function is set to sleep.
I don't have a single issue using the ortek+harmony. (bar the red light of the receiver). even the ortek remote works fine (but would need some keycap changes on xbmc side for perfect setup).

Which remote are you using ?

(2014-09-07, 13:46)jmandawg Wrote: Can I update coreboot and bios from a regular Linux terminal or do I have to boot into chromium?

Went through this yesterday. Have to boot into chromium, check the wiki, that's clearly explained (at the end).
This is maybe an silly queston, but I`ll try,

Is there some cons and pros against and for the Dual boot with Ubuntu instead of OpenElec?

I have understood that I have to use the Ubuntu if I want Chromium to work, need some web watching now and then.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
(2014-09-07, 14:43)Walrus Wrote: Ok, I ordered an HP receiver, the 5187-4593 one, and it still will NOT wake from sleep. Once on, the receiver works fine for everything. It just won't wake at all. Any suggestions? The shutdown function is set to sleep.

what setup are you running? Until recently, OpenELEC disabled resume from suspend for all USB3-connected devices; you need to be running version 4.1.2 or later (4.1.6 is current) for it to work

(2014-09-07, 16:09)pettergulbra Wrote: This is maybe an silly queston, but I`ll try,

Is there some cons and pros against and for the Dual boot with Ubuntu instead of OpenElec?

I have understood that I have to use the Ubuntu if I want Chromium to work, need some web watching now and then.

Pro: it's a full linux setup
Con: it's a full linux setup, not an appliance. Updates (XBMC and OS) aren't automatic nor as frequent. It's only in the script for legacy reasons; IMO there are better distros to run if you want full linux + XBMC

There's a Chromium add-on in the unofficial OpenELEC repository, you might try that and see if it meets your needs
(2014-09-07, 17:33)Matt Devo Wrote: what setup are you running? Until recently, OpenELEC disabled resume from suspend for all USB3-connected devices; you need to be running version 4.1.2 or later (4.1.6 is current) for it to work

The latest build. I was running the special build from about a month ago that you had, and it would turn on occasionally. Now with the latest update, it will not turn on at all.

Harmony remote. The powertoggle command will put it to sleep fine, just won't turn back on. I've played with delays etc, it's not the remote. MCE remote I have won't turn it on either.
So shutdown is set to "suspend" in XBMC right ? Detail your harmony settings, which devices have you set up ?
(2014-09-07, 17:33)Matt Devo Wrote: Pro: it's a full linux setup
Con: it's a full linux setup, not an appliance. Updates (XBMC and OS) aren't automatic nor as frequent. It's only in the script for legacy reasons; IMO there are better distros to run if you want full linux + XBMC

There's a Chromium add-on in the unofficial OpenELEC repository, you might try that and see if it meets your needs

I`m not an Linux guy, but will it be easy to follow and update XBMC(Kodi) and to update Linux, when this is needed?
(I will think that it is XBMC(Kodi) that would be updated the most, not Linux?)
I usual just use the stable releases.
(2014-09-07, 22:43)pettergulbra Wrote: I`m not an Linux guy, but will it be easy to follow and update XBMC(Kodi) and to update Linux, when this is needed?
(I will think that it is XBMC(Kodi) that would be updated the most, not Linux?)
I usual just use the stable releases.

if you're not a linux guy, and don't want to bother to learn (which is fine), then running a full linux distro and having to manually manage updates is probably not for you. OpenELEC, on the other hand, is designed to turn your computer into an XBMC appliance - it's self updating (though betas are manual), and geared towards users who want to run XBMC, not manage a linux install.

Unless there's some functionality that you absolutely need and isn't offered by OpenELEC (or an add-on), then there's absolutely no reason not to run it. That's especially true for ChromeBox users, since that's where my focus is.
(2014-09-07, 17:33)Matt Devo Wrote: IMO there are better distros to run if you want full linux + XBMC
Oh? What would you recommend?
(2014-09-07, 23:24)rodalpho Wrote:
(2014-09-07, 17:33)Matt Devo Wrote: IMO there are better distros to run if you want full linux + XBMC
Oh? What would you recommend?

that's the thing, linux isn't a one size fits all kinda thing -- it really depends on what your needs are. Personally, if I wanted a lightweight distro to run XBMC + other services, I'd probably look at Arch Linux.
Quick question... have OE standalone. Put in Chromium OS and booted up, ran script, and chose option 5, then after that was done, chose option 6. Rebooted, but I now seem to have OE 4.0.7. I thought the latest via the script would be 4.1.6? Another odd thing is when I try to force an update via OE option within XBMC, it does nothing. Should I have done this differently?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-09-08, 00:42)hdmkv Wrote: Quick question... have OE standalone. Put in Chromium OS and booted up, ran script, and chose option 5, then after that was done, chose option 6. Rebooted, but I now seem to have OE 4.0.7. I thought the latest via the script would be 4.1.6? Another odd thing is when I try to force an update via OE option within XBMC, it does nothing.

1) the standalone setup/update feature of the script is only going to update the firmware, not OE. The option to create OE installation media is for new installs only, it's not going to touch anything already installed (until/unless you reboot to the install media and do a clean install).

2) OE updates from a stable version (4.0.7) to beta version (4.1.6) are not automatic; you need to manually update to a beta, then future beta versions (and the resulting stable) will be automatic.
Thank you Matt. I updated to latest OE via a USB OE installer I made.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-09-08, 01:51)hdmkv Wrote: Thank you Matt. I updated to latest OE via a USB OE installer I made.

but really, unless you want to completely start fresh, it's much easier to just download from openelec.tv, throw the file in the upgrade folder, and reboot
(2014-09-07, 23:11)Matt Devo Wrote: if you're not a linux guy, and don't want to bother to learn (which is fine), then running a full linux distro and having to manually manage updates is probably not for you. OpenELEC, on the other hand, is designed to turn your computer into an XBMC appliance - it's self updating (though betas are manual), and geared towards users who want to run XBMC, not manage a linux install.

Unless there's some functionality that you absolutely need and isn't offered by OpenELEC (or an add-on), then there's absolutely no reason not to run it. That's especially true for ChromeBox users, since that's where my focus is.

Thanks for the answer.
The manual updates of XBMC, I think I will handle, surely I can learn the update the Linux when that is needed.
I think I need to run Linux under XBMC because of the web browser viewing needed from time to time.

As I read on the OE forum, the Chromium addon was not very stable, and then that can get really a hassle.
My wife want to watch some things on the web, and there is no addons for this pages.

See you recommend Arch Linux, is this an small Linux and a simple one?
Or will it do with the package in the script of this thread?
  • 88(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37