• 81(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2014-11-26, 16:42)stuCONNERS Wrote: Is this fixed then? Can anyone confirm?

It clearly states on this very page. No.
Damn, guys. I am really tired of getting the same and same question again from people that only have interest in their "little" box at home while refusing to actually read the bugreport.

There is a kernel out there, that does not show the issue, and experimental kernel nowhere near official kernels. The differences between a normal kernel and this running kernel are more than 10 thousand lines of code and absolutely no one, even not the intel devs know what the key difference is. And no it's not possible to just patch a kernel and release it, cause there are very sever side effects on normal installations as one can see in the bugreport.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Sorry my question was based on the last 2 comments from the bugreport that was linked in this thread.
Oki - all fine. Just talking to chris willson again, he is really keen on fixing it, but it's one of the hardest bugs he ever tried to track down.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi, first of all thanks for the hard work you're putting into this.
I'm currently using Gotham on Windows but I want to switch to your Ubuntu setup (OpenELEC is not an option because I need a "full" OS).

I'm following this thread for quite a time now and I see that you're currently having problems with the VAAPI Renderer.
I think i found some other "bugs"... or maybe it's supposed to be that way, which is why I'm bothering you with this ...

With VAAPI Renderer turned on, it somehow messes with the black and white levels, which means I'm getting a black crush and a butchered grayscale.
My TV is calibrated using the files from here
The only way (and I think I tested all combinations) to get a proper output is:
Output Full RGB levels
activating the limited 16-235 output inside Kodi
disable VAAPI Renderer
Under these circumstances I get BTB, WTW and a nice, smooth grayscale.

That's the first "bug".
I get it that you currently suggest to deactivate the VAAPI Renderer anyway, which is fine for me (CPU load is still very low on my i3-4130T HSW)

The next "bug" is as follows:
with VAAPI Renderer turned off, somehow the Deinterlacing goes nuts.
I'm using yadif (Kodi set to "Deinterlace") and have lots of R1 DVDs muxed into mkv.
It's hard to explain so bear with me, but I give it a try:
When watching a movie straight from the start (the studio logo comes on) then I get 47.95 fps throuhout the movie and the deinterlacing looks really bad.
If I stop the movie and resume from the last position (i.e. after the first chapter or whatever) then I get 23.98 fps, which should be right for R1 DVDs.

What I think is that if the first few frames are not from a 24fps source (like the studio logos) then yadif doesn't work right or it falls back to another mode.

Sorry if it's written so confusing. Since I'm working in IT-support I should know better Wink

If you need any logs please tell me which settings I should use while generating them.
rouladenkoenig Wrote:With VAAPI Renderer turned on, it somehow messes with the black and white levels, which means I'm getting a black crush and a butchered grayscale.
My TV is calibrated using the files from here
The only way (and I think I tested all combinations) to get a proper output is:
Output Full RGB levels
activating the limited 16-235 output inside Kodi
disable VAAPI Renderer
Under these circumstances I get BTB, WTW and a nice, smooth grayscale.

Yes, sadly. VAAPI does a rgb conversation when we call vaPutSurface. The api gives us absolutely no influence concerning this, it's not avoidable. Your workaround is the only valid one, as that takes another path to output (with higher cpu load).

For the R1 DVDs we need a sample I think.
Okay, thanks for your fast response and explanation.

So I just leave VAAPI Rendering disabled, CPU load is not a problem.
I uploaded a sample, maybe you have to try it a few times to get 47.95 fps.

Thanks for the effort.
Can you enable ffmpeg component logging under System -> Settings -> System -> Debugging and play that sample again (I only have gprs edge connection) here.

Edit: Just to make sure you have Deinterlace set to Auto and Deinterlace-Method to De-Interlace (aka yadif)? the media info tells it 29.97i interlaced, but xbmc reports it as 24 progressive.
Was some player code from this build merged lately to the official nightly? I just noticed that now also the nightly has problems with fast forward. 8x and faster speeds are useless because picture just pauses and skips 10-12 secs and never actually fast forwards.
8x speed is useless anyway because cpu/gpu can't decode in this speed. We often thought about limiting this value.
(2014-11-28, 22:42)fritsch Wrote: Can you enable ffmpeg component logging under System -> Settings -> System -> Debugging and play that sample again (I only have gprs edge connection) here.

Edit: Just to make sure you have Deinterlace set to Auto and Deinterlace-Method to De-Interlace (aka yadif)? the media info tells it 29.97i interlaced, but xbmc reports it as 24 progressive.

Yep, that's correct, but xbmc reports 47.95 fps playback instead of 23.98 fps via CodecInfo menu or whatever it's called.
btw: other DI-methods are working fine only yadif doubles the framerate ... sometimes.

Logs are here:
dmesg
kodi.log (It still says .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log in your guide Wink)
Xorg.0.log
vainfo
dpkg
id
aplay
(2014-11-28, 23:18)FernetMenta Wrote: 8x speed is useless anyway because cpu/gpu can't decode in this speed. We ofter thought about limiting this value.

It worked quite nice before, even with 32x speeds with some material, now only 4x. Was this some buffering change or what was changed? Cpu is i7-4790 and even when playing from the internal SSD drive the same problem happens, with hardware and with software decoding.
(2014-11-28, 23:22)rouladenkoenig Wrote:
(2014-11-28, 22:42)fritsch Wrote: Can you enable ffmpeg component logging under System -> Settings -> System -> Debugging and play that sample again (I only have gprs edge connection) here.

Yep, that's correct, but xbmc reports 47.95 fps playback instead of 23.98 fps via CodecInfo menu or whatever it's called.
btw: other DI-methods are working fine only yadif doubles the framerate ... sometimes.

Logs are here:
dmesg
kodi.log (It still says .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log in your guide Wink)
Xorg.0.log
vainfo
dpkg
id
aplay

You have set: "Deinterlace to Auto" and "Deinterlace Method to Yadif" right? You don't _force_ Deinterlace to On, also right?
(2014-11-28, 23:45)TimoJ Wrote:
(2014-11-28, 23:18)FernetMenta Wrote: 8x speed is useless anyway because cpu/gpu can't decode in this speed. We ofter thought about limiting this value.

It worked quite nice before, even with 32x speeds with some material, now only 4x. Was this some buffering change or what was changed? Cpu is i7-4790 and even when playing from the internal SSD drive the same problem happens, with hardware and with software decoding.

Ok, an i7 can do this but this is not the average CPU for a system running Kodi. The point is that rw/ff was rather broken, i.e. rw did go completely wrong speed. On ff the pictures show were arbitrary. Consider 32x ff on some 24p material. While on frame is displayed the video moved for 1.3 seconds. You may have seen 2 consecutive frames and then a gap for 3 seconds.

I am going to have a look whether some quick and non-intrusive change can restore some of the old behavior. If not this has to wait after we have released 15.0.
Hello Comunity,

Im reading since some time all posts about intel vaapi deinterlacing from openelec Openelec 4.0 beta (Gotham) on.

Because i use an intel nuc i3 i have since Openelec 5.0 beta 1 the problem that automatical zoom (hide black bars) is not more working when vaapi is enabled. I have to dissable vaapi compleatly to get it working. But then the cpu load is to high to get decoding and yadif together in software.

One other thing that i dont understand is that Fritsch wrote that Intel has implemented for Ivy Bridge the mcdi deinterlacer, but i cant find it in openelec, only madi deinterlacer is selectable.

Best regards (Beste Grüße) from Vienna
tommy_99
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416