• 16(current)
Google Nexus Player
hey I have a question what causing all the problems with the nexus player if there are cheeper android boxes with less specs?
(2014-11-28, 20:35)mystico2014 Wrote: hey I have a question what causing all the problems with the nexus player if there are cheeper android boxes with less specs?

The boxes you are referring to are running Android 4.X, whereas the Nexus Player is Android 5, using the leanback launcher. Android L is very new and am sure has bugs that need to be addressed. XBMC/Kodi has several versions which complicates matters for users. So when you take both into account you get the issues we are seeing. The good news is the nexus player has already been rooted and you can expect devs to come up with interesting things and the Kodi team will address Android L where it makes sense. Right now a little patience is required I believe, and there are lots of apps to play with until Kodi is rock solid.
(2014-11-28, 22:22)Wilberry Wrote:
(2014-11-28, 20:35)mystico2014 Wrote: hey I have a question what causing all the problems with the nexus player if there are cheeper android boxes with less specs?

The boxes you are referring to are running Android 4.X, whereas the Nexus Player is Android 5, using the leanback launcher. Android L is very new and am sure has bugs that need to be addressed. XBMC/Kodi has several versions which complicates matters for users. So when you take both into account you get the issues we are seeing. The good news is the nexus player has already been rooted and you can expect devs to come up with interesting things and the Kodi team will address Android L where it makes sense. Right now a little patience is required I believe, and there are lots of apps to play with until Kodi is rock solid.

Hi,
Link to the rooting please.
Thanks.
(2014-11-29, 08:30)figaro Wrote:
(2014-11-28, 22:22)Wilberry Wrote:

Hi,
Link to the rooting please.
Thanks.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-pl...t-t2948565
(2014-11-19, 21:21)drewg Wrote:
(2014-11-19, 20:50)hermit Wrote: I've experienced the crash with both SD and HD but mostly been testing 720p streams and up.
I have not tested nightlies, do you have a certain one you recommend so I can test?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, with software encoding enabled, the crash will only happen MAYBE once or twice a night, sometimes not at all. however with the same behaviors using my nexus 5. I don't get those errors.

as far as the heat issues, I doubt it, as its in the open and has plenty of air flow, but I will try monitoring its temperature when it stops vs when i'm just using youtube.

also my kids have used this to watch barbie on youtube for a full 3 hours before as nexus player seems to continue to the next video. haven't had any issues on the default youtube app yet.
I'm running kodi-20141115-35527b7-master-x86.apk right now, with the advanced settings file below. I was going to update to a newer release.

My viewing is mostly 720p H.264, but they're very low bitrate streams. 4Mb/s or less. And since i"m using stagefright, the CPU usage is probably far less. I'm sure youtube is using h/w accelerated video too.

Drew

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <usetimeseeking>true</usetimeseeking>
    <smallstepbackseconds>4</smallstepbackseconds>
    <timeseekforward>10</timeseekforward>
    <timeseekbackward>-5</timeseekbackward>
    <timeseekforwardbig>120</timeseekforwardbig>
    <timeseekbackwardbig>-90</timeseekbackwardbig>
    <percentseekforward>2</percentseekforward>
    <percentseekbackward>-2</percentseekbackward>
    <percentseekforwardbig>10</percentseekforwardbig>
    <percentseekbackwardbig>-10</percentseekbackwardbig>
  </video>
  <network>
    <cachemembuffersize>52428800/</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Maybe I'm missing something, I'm a little new to xbmc on Android. I've searched but can't find anywhere that shows how to setup advanced settings or describe what all the settings mean.

Also, what is stagefright?
userdata (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-15, 04:45)McGoogley Wrote: Everyone seems thoroughly underwhelmed by this product. Is it time to draw a line through it?

I hope that changes. This has built-in Google Cast support. Miles beyond allcast or airplay IMO, but until this point limited to the puny chromecast (though I have a chromecast and pack it in my backpack for playback-in-a-pinch situations from MB3 or Plex)

A small, standalone, 2x2 AC wifi, HDMI-CEC toting, sub-$100android box that can run XBMC full time with Cast built-in is like a dream come true

I regularly watch full 1:1 MKVs over AC wifi without hiccups. My OpenELEC intel x64 box in my living room (daily driver, decodes HD audio to stereo, occasional 3D sbs) is hard wired to an Asus AC66 running in wireless bridge mode back to my Asus AC68 router. So essentially I playback 1:1 BDs with hd-audio decoding over AC wifi a lot. I've tested a few on my LG G2 (which is also 2x2 AC) and didn't have any issues, though I don't use that very often

I'll be happy to see the new changes find there way into XBMC, but . . .

Martijn, Ned, Koying, etc? If I were in a donating mood, who would be the best dev to ship one of these to??

As far as "drawing a line" through something goes, I thought it was time to do that within a month of the RPi announcement. That little junk pile got so much love from the net, but it was never ready for primetime. It feels like a shame to see so many of them sold. There were even articles that amounted to "Top 5 things to do with your RPi"

Of course, XBMC was always at the top of those lists, but let's be realistic . . . when you buy hardware because it's cheap and marketed towards the "fiddler-friendly-community" but end up needing to read articles telling you what to do with it - what was the point? It's like the short-lived netbook boom. They were cheap, easy to find deals on, had better battery life than other laptops at the time, but sucked majorly due to a severely memory constrained FSB architecture built by Intel. There were tons of articles telling you how to turn them into file servers, music servers, etc. The same story really . . . cheap hardware in search of software.

Rather than drawing a line through the RPi it's instead been embraced, and XBMC as a whole seems to be responding to it. There's a whole support subforum for it. It would be one thing if the changes were "streamlining" XBMC to where every platform benefits, but instead it feels like some of the needed development that could take place is becoming hampered by the question "How will this work on an RPi?"
A vast number of changes/optimisation made for the Pi (often, though not entirely, by Pi Foundation developers) have and will continue to benefit *all* platforms, including Android and other low powered devices.

Poorly performing Kodi features have been improved to make the user experience better on the Pi, which then benefits users of every platform, but I'm not aware of any features that are being held back out of concern for Pi users. I think what the Pi has done is pave the way for the Android devices, with developers now showing increased consideration for lower powered hardware than their own i7-based quad core 16GB of RAM/SSD-based development box. The current codebase is now in much better shape for other ARM devices after 2 years development with Pi users in mind.

In a nutshell, the Pi makes it easier to spot inefficient code, but it doesn't prevent well designed/implemented solutions from being accepted, even if the Pi isn't the ideal target. If streamlining of Kodi is required, that will happen with or without the Pi (assuming developers are available, patches welcome etc.)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Google "tech 1 kodi". He has a tweeked version kodi/helix alpha 5. I have been using it for a few days with the nexus player with no crashes. There is a link on his google+ page.
could you post the link please
Our version works fine.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hello,

I ordered the inateck usb hub and cable matters ethernet usb adapter .My nexus player is rooted, and was working pretty stable over WIFI. I turned off my nexus player plugged in the USB Hub and Ethernet adapter turned it back on and it recognized Hub and Ethernet connection right away automatically. I then started Kodi and tried playing videos from certain addons. Videos play for 5 minutes, and then video screen closes out back to kodi addon screen. I tried 0 cache settings, I tried drew's cache settings , I tried shutting off mediacodec, I tried fresh install and nothing was able to fix the problem. I tried Kodi RC, Kodi beta 1, and XBMC 13.2 gotham none worked for more then 5 minutes. I then took out the ethernet and went back to WIFI and it was working fine again. I guess thats pretty clear that it has something to do with the ethernet and Kodi. I verfiied it was not the ethernet adapter itself because I watched netflix via ethernet no problem, youtube no problem and ethernet connection was stable the entire time. Some reason ethernet with Kodi makes video crash. Has anyone else xperienced this problem? any fix in settings that I am missing??!

Products used
Inateck 4-port USB 3.0 Hub Bus-powered with OTG Adapter

Cable Matters USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter in Black

Thank you for your help in advance!
Whoa whoa whoa, someone hating on the Raspberry Pi in here?

(2014-12-02, 09:27)Dark_Slayer Wrote: As far as "drawing a line" through something goes, I thought it was time to do that within a month of the RPi announcement. That little junk pile got so much love from the net, but it was never ready for primetime. It feels like a shame to see so many of them sold. There were even articles that amounted to "Top 5 things to do with your RPi"

In early 2014 a bunch of us went to SCaLE (Southern California Linux Expo) and ran an XBMC booth. We demoed various things on our main big screen TV, such as the video library, 3D, fantastic playback quality, music, add-ons, etc. People were amazed at how well everything ran. They asked us what device we were running on, and we pointed to a little Raspberry Pi Model B running OpenELEC. They wouldn't have known if we had not told them.

Quote:Of course, XBMC was always at the top of those lists, but let's be realistic . . . when you buy hardware because it's cheap and marketed towards the "fiddler-friendly-community" but end up needing to read articles telling you what to do with it - what was the point? It's like the short-lived netbook boom. They were cheap, easy to find deals on, had better battery life than other laptops at the time, but sucked majorly due to a severely memory constrained FSB architecture built by Intel. There were tons of articles telling you how to turn them into file servers, music servers, etc. The same story really . . . cheap hardware in search of software.

I'm completely realistic when I say I use XBMC/Kodi daily on a Raspberry Pi. I don't have a problem with reading up on the articles, since that's pretty much how you learn some of XBMC/Kodi's best features :P

The netbook market didn't actually go away, they just got taken over by tablets who filled the same casual web-browsing niche. Technically speaking, they also still exist in the form of Chromebooks (and are awesome).

Quote:Rather than drawing a line through the RPi it's instead been embraced, and XBMC as a whole seems to be responding to it. There's a whole support subforum for it. It would be one thing if the changes were "streamlining" XBMC to where every platform benefits, but instead it feels like some of the needed development that could take place is becoming hampered by the question "How will this work on an RPi?"

That couldn't be further from the truth. Pi-inspired improvements most often improve all the platforms, and nothing has been hampered by including the Pi. If we stopped supporting it then there would be some other low-powered device that we would use as a minimal target. Our devs choose a minimal target based on practical application, and not just some random selection that they pull out of their butts.

There is huge value in hammering out the potential of a device like this. Not only is there a huge community of support, and a massive community of users to test things, but it's also a device with a phenomenal video processor. It's the perfect target for that minimal line, and it will be for at least another year or two, if not more. When it's time to move on then our devs will move on. This is one of the things I tend to trust them on.
(2014-12-02, 21:24)Martijn Wrote: Our version works fine.

I am able to use Kodi Beta 1, but anything past Beta 1 constantly crashes when playing video. This includes RC1.

Hopefully the team is aware of this issue!
(2014-12-04, 00:16)ktownhero Wrote:
(2014-12-02, 21:24)Martijn Wrote: Our version works fine.

I am able to use Kodi Beta 1, but anything past Beta 1 constantly crashes when playing video. This includes RC1.

Hopefully the team is aware of this issue!
Same. I have tried disabling hw accel, disabling stagefright, disabling mediacodec, the advancedsettings.xml changes to buffer size and something else I cant remember right now, and tried gotham 13.2 and all versions from 14b3 onwards. Never tried 14b1...I will give that a shot - thanks for the info.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7