• 158(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hello, I carefully followed the instructions, but am having an issue. I am aiming for a standalone setup. I created the USB key successfully, reboot, hit escape to enter the boot menu, select my device. When I do, I have a menu with only two options, Run Installer, Run Live. When I Run Installer, after a moment the display turns off and it doesn't seem like anything is happening, though the computer is still on. Can anybody help with this? Much appreciated.
what OS are you trying to install?
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
OK, I finally got the 64GD SSD drive I'd ordered to drop into my Asus Chromebox, before undertaking my goal to set it up for dual boot ChromeOS/openElec, and also used Chrome browser to create a recovery disc on a 16GB SD card. What should I do first, install new SSD, then install Chrome on it first, then proceed with the dual boot install, or can I start from scratch to install dual boot? I want to retain ChromeOS to run Netflix.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2014-12-13, 16:53)Veronica Wrote: Matt do you have the same problem as JJS with your compiled version?

yes - very slightly; it's not at all an issue when actually watching content. As fritsch explained previously (possibly in another thread), it's display dependent, and there's nothing that can be done ATM.

(2014-12-13, 17:46)quicknir Wrote: Hello, I carefully followed the instructions, but am having an issue. I am aiming for a standalone setup. I created the USB key successfully, reboot, hit escape to enter the boot menu, select my device. When I do, I have a menu with only two options, Run Installer, Run Live. When I Run Installer, after a moment the display turns off and it doesn't seem like anything is happening, though the computer is still on. Can anybody help with this? Much appreciated.

try creating fresh install media from another machine, just download from OpenELEC's site - that's all the script does.

(2014-12-13, 19:57)christoofar Wrote: OK, I finally got the 64GD SSD drive I'd ordered to drop into my Asus Chromebox, before undertaking my goal to set it up for dual boot ChromeOS/openElec, and also used Chrome browser to create a recovery disc on a 16GB SD card. What should I do first, install new SSD, then install Chrome on it first, then proceed with the dual boot install, or can I start from scratch to install dual boot? I want to retain ChromeOS to run Netflix.

if you want a dual boot setup, you need to have ChromeOS on there first, so install the SDD, run ChromeOS recovery, then install using the script.
I tried that next. I used sudo dd to create another usb key. This time, the screen did not go black, instead it stayed on the install screen and froze up. This happens for both install and live mode. I'm about to try creating an ubuntu disk. I'm wonder if there was an error overwriting the bios.
Some USB sticks just don't seem to boot well, keep trying other ones.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm just doing this on my second Chromebox right now. The first went without a hitch, but this one has stumped me. I performed all the steps for a standalone install up to the point of rebooting with my Openelec USB installed after running the script. Upon reboot I go the hit ESC for boot menu option, but didn't hit it in time. It just sat there at "Booting from Hard Disk" and never did anything else. All subsequent reboots never show the boot menu option and the system just hangs at "Booting from hard Disk".

What should I do now?

EDIT: Using a different flash drive solved the problem.
(2014-12-13, 22:57)quicknir Wrote: I tried that next. I used sudo dd to create another usb key. This time, the screen did not go black, instead it stayed on the install screen and froze up. This happens for both install and live mode. I'm about to try creating an ubuntu disk. I'm wonder if there was an error overwriting the bios.

the firmware is read back and verified as part of the flash process - if there had been an error writing, it would have been caught and you would have been notified.

(2014-12-13, 23:05)nickr Wrote: Some USB sticks just don't seem to boot well, keep trying other ones.

(2014-12-13, 23:34)RockDawg Wrote: I'm just doing this on my second Chromebox right now. The first went without a hitch, but this one has stumped me. I performed all the steps for a standalone install up to the point of rebooting with my Openelec USB installed after running the script. Upon reboot I go the hit ESC for boot menu option, but didn't hit it in time. It just sat there at "Booting from Hard Disk" and never did anything else. All subsequent reboots never show the boot menu option and the system just hangs at "Booting from hard Disk".

What should I do now?

EDIT: Using a different flash drive solved the problem.

some USB sticks are less standards compliant than others. In order to minimize boot time, coreboot/seabios requires USB devices to init/handshake within the min time allotted by the USB spec. Some don't, and that causes the boot menu not to show, since SeaBIOS thinks there is only one bootable device (the internal ssd).
Thanks for the explanation, Matt!
(2014-12-14, 00:46)RockDawg Wrote: Thanks for the explanation, Matt!

Also make sure you have HDMI plugged in and not the display port..... that got me but YMMV. Smile
ASUS CHROMEBOX (M004U) 2GB RAM 128GB M.2 SSD :: OpenELEC 5.0 RC2 x86_64
(2014-12-14, 01:26)Human_USB Wrote: Also make sure you have HDMI plugged in and not the display port..... that got me but YMMV. Smile

both HDMI and DP video outputs work properly when used independently; using both together is OS-specific
Is there any guide on how to install ubuntu ( or any other linux dist ) and openelec in a dualboot?

Best
Charlie
Just a note to anyone running a Chromebox and OpenElec. The GPU hang finally seems to have been fixed. Experimental build here : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1859912

Allows VAAPI rendering (no need for disabling "Prefer VAAPI render method") and includes VAAPI hardware accelerated Motion Compensated (best) and Motion Adaptive (also quite good) de-interlacing that gives you an option over SW YADIF 2x.

Been running with VAAPI Rendering enabled and VAAPI Motion Compensated de-interlacing with high bitrate 1080/50i native content and it hasn't hung yet. Huge achievement. Makes the Chromebox an even more fantastic XBMC appliance.
thanks noggin, hope this will end up in OpenElec 5.0 final
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
It's already in.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 158(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37