• 16(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
Does anyone know if this remote has any type of IP driver support? Meaning, can it talk to xbmc over ip via the json api or does it still rely on IR? Does it support other devices over IP (such as pioneer receiver, squeezebox etc.)? I have some RTI remotes that talk to xbmc via the json api over IP and would LOVE to replace them with harmony as that is a much more open ecosystem. The only reason i spent an absurd amount of money on the RTI setup was to achieve speeds in xbmc that are as fast as using a wired keyboard for control (0 input lag). Can the new harmony do this as well?
(2014-08-21, 16:29)zag Wrote: I would go as far as to say this is the greatest remote ever built.

And I've tried a few!

Meh....no thanks.
(2014-11-27, 08:18)touser Wrote: Does anyone know if this remote has any type of IP driver support? Meaning, can it talk to xbmc over ip via the json api or does it still rely on IR? Does it support other devices over IP (such as pioneer receiver, squeezebox etc.)? I have some RTI remotes that talk to xbmc via the json api over IP and would LOVE to replace them with harmony as that is a much more open ecosystem. The only reason i spent an absurd amount of money on the RTI setup was to achieve speeds in xbmc that are as fast as using a wired keyboard for control (0 input lag). Can the new harmony do this as well?

I don't think it does IP, but there is no detectable lag. I've had mine a few months now and it is truly superb.

(2014-11-27, 09:09)FishOil Wrote:
(2014-08-21, 16:29)zag Wrote: I would go as far as to say this is the greatest remote ever built.

And I've tried a few!

Meh....no thanks.
Actually, he's right you know!
I was going to ask what he thought was better Wink

Show me another remote with 2 years+ battery life, perfect instant speed and beautiful buttons!

I'd like to see it!
So which is the best for XBMC and DN2820 NUC? I have set it up as Media Center Extender.
(2014-11-27, 13:45)bobones Wrote:
(2014-11-27, 08:18)touser Wrote: Does anyone know if this remote has any type of IP driver support? Meaning, can it talk to xbmc over ip via the json api or does it still rely on IR? Does it support other devices over IP (such as pioneer receiver, squeezebox etc.)? I have some RTI remotes that talk to xbmc via the json api over IP and would LOVE to replace them with harmony as that is a much more open ecosystem. The only reason i spent an absurd amount of money on the RTI setup was to achieve speeds in xbmc that are as fast as using a wired keyboard for control (0 input lag). Can the new harmony do this as well?

I don't think it does IP, but there is no detectable lag. I've had mine a few months now and it is truly superb.

And I've tried a few!

Meh....no thanks.

Thanks for the reply! May I ask which IR receiver you are using? I've never been able to get such fast response out of an flirc at least.
(2014-11-27, 20:58)touser Wrote: Thanks for the reply! May I ask which IR receiver you are using? I've never been able to get such fast response out of an flirc at least.
All my devices have built in IR receivers. There is no discernible difference between the speed of the harmony and the original remotes.
(2014-11-27, 13:45)bobones Wrote:

And I've tried a few!

Meh....no thanks.

Personal preference I guess.
That remote wouldnt even crack the top 20 for me.
IMO the DirectTV Backlit RC65 is a Wayyyyy better Media Center Remote.
In addition, its $10 delivered. Tongue

there is IP support for a few devices (roku is the only one that jumps to the top of my head) but not many. supposedly this is something that will be coming but i wouldn't hold your breath on xbmc support. someone from logitech posts pretty regularly on the harmony hub threads at avsforums if you want to check those out. for me what works as well, and is likely just as quick, as IP support is control over bluetooth. you can check out my post here on setting that up if you're curious.
Man I am getting confused and hope somebody can clarify this for me.

I have been rocking a Harmony One with a HP IR receiver. Works fine, but the lag is driving me INSANE.

Very excited to see the faster response times I've been reading about in this thread, however after doing my research I am a little confused as to what exactly I need to buy.

Can I buy ONLY the companion Smart Control Remote and use with my IR receiver, or do I have to buy the ENTIRE smart control system (with the Harmony Hub)?

The remote alone is only $30: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-C...merReviews

vs the whole Smart Control system which costs $110: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-C...rt+Control

I could care less about controling my media center from my smat phone or tablet. If I can just rock this remote alone and get the fast response times, I will be a very happy person!

Thanks!
You need the whole system which includes the remote and the hub. The remote is useless without the hub.
Yeah, after doing a bunch of research that's sort of what I came up with. Oh well - was originally hoping to use this thing for my family room HTPC.

Regardless, the more I researched, the more it looks like the hub setup would be perfect for my basement Home Theater which has an out-of-site media rack.

Also, since it looks like I can sell my Harmony One for the same price as a new Smart Control System, this should be a no brainer.

Thanks!
Yeh I sold my harmony one for the same price as buying the smart control.

Its so much more responsive than the harmony one, I feel sorry for the guy who bought my old one!
Question for NUC owners:

Do you use the default off settings? (It just puts the device to sleep for me) Sometimes when I wake, I just get a black screened xbmc and must ctrl + alt + delete to kill process, for everything to work.

Do you just leave your NUC on permanently maybe? Would that cost a lot $ per year? Can it cause laggy playback when rarely shutting down?

If you leave it on permanently, you must change power settings to never sleep right?
I have edited the switch off commands, and send STOP & DVDMENU for the power command. This stops whatever I am praying and puts XBMC in the home screen.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1