• 7(current)
Banana Pi (raspi clone)
great work huisinro, hope a community builds around your hardwork on the Banana Pi, do you think you will have a working linux version in the future with full hardware decoding? In Uk android is sub par for media playback for several reasons
I actually have been looking at getting one of these or a hummingbird for testing as a HTPC, hopefully this has overclocking ability not that its needed compared to the RPi but it still would be nice to know Im not limited to stock specs.
Current Setup:
[T.V] 55" Bravia HX820 3D [Reciever] Sony 7.1 Surrond 3D
RPi B+ | Openelec | OC@1000MHz

In Process
[OS] Win 7 64Bit HP [CPU] AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ 2.5GHz [MOBO] nVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S [RAM] 2x2GB DDR2 Kingston [GPU] Radeon HD6450 1GB DDR3 [HDD] 1TB WD SATA [Audio] Radeon HD6450 (HDMI Out)
I am testing the 1920 * 1080 Android 4.4 build right now, seems to be working ok.

As for Linux H264 decoding, I have A23 decoder running, will try to port it to A20, which is on Banana Pi.

The reason I am doing this is to port our iOS AirPlay mirroring to Banana Pi. currently we have more than 100k Users using rPlay on Raspberry Pi, but RPi has limitations and can't run Chrome browser which is required by rPlay's chromecast receiver. On Banana Pi, everything is working well, so rPlay will support Airplay, Airplay mirroring, Chromecast, Miracast, etc. This will make Banana Pi a very nice media center, along with XBMC,
(2014-08-22, 19:30)huisinro Wrote: I am testing the 1920 * 1080 Android 4.4 build right now, seems to be working ok.

As for Linux H264 decoding, I have A23 decoder running, will try to port it to A20, which is on Banana Pi.

The reason I am doing this is to port our iOS AirPlay mirroring to Banana Pi. currently we have more than 100k Users using rPlay on Raspberry Pi, but RPi has limitations and can't run Chrome browser which is required by rPlay's chromecast receiver. On Banana Pi, everything is working well, so rPlay will support Airplay, Airplay mirroring, Chromecast, Miracast, etc. This will make Banana Pi a very nice media center, along with XBMC,

Good to hear!!
Current Setup:
[T.V] 55" Bravia HX820 3D [Reciever] Sony 7.1 Surrond 3D
RPi B+ | Openelec | OC@1000MHz

In Process
[OS] Win 7 64Bit HP [CPU] AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ 2.5GHz [MOBO] nVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S [RAM] 2x2GB DDR2 Kingston [GPU] Radeon HD6450 1GB DDR3 [HDD] 1TB WD SATA [Audio] Radeon HD6450 (HDMI Out)
When might we see a Banana Pi image for this?
How's work? Is there a image of something to test?
Hi all,

I had the idea of getting a RPI and use it to play videos under XBMC and have a cheap HTPC, but then I knew about this new BananaPI and I've just read this whole thread.

Are there any chances of using bananaPI with XBMC and having no judder and good 1080p playback? If not... is the RPI a good choice? I've read that it even have to be overclocked to have a good result.

Regards
Go to the Lemaker forum. They have made great progress and I think XBMC now plays 1080 hardware accelerated, but don't quote me. Remember the bananapi.com is not official site. forum.lemaker.org that should. Great group there.
so, any news for 1080p hardware decoding?
1080p works fine. New image @ forum.lemaker.org -> android
The only problem with the android image is Netflix doesn't hardware decode. This board is do closer to being the perfect media center. Hulu good whatever reason seemed ok but Netflix is, not up to snuff.
(2014-05-09, 02:19)Ned Scott Wrote: It's not even worth $20, and I'm not exaggerating. I have an Allwinner A10 device, and it's total junk.

I really hate to say it, but this is untrue. I would question this person's knowledge about of this device. It is an A20 not an A10. I consider Ned's comments as akin to the adage (incorrectly attributed to Bill Gates); the raspberry pi is all you will ever need, no one needs more than a raspberry pi for this type of project.

As time has progressed and people have taken a serious look at the raspberry pi it has come to light that the raspberry pi has begun to show it's weaknesses. For instance some weaknesses are that real lack of power in the raspberry pi for anything other than playing media XBMC, and the fact that it has a 100mb Ethernet that's shared with the USB ports. Those are just two. No power button, no mic, no true reset, no real time clock. No consistency in how addon makers choose which pins. Those are just a couple more.

The raspberry pi model b+ has improved things yet it still has the same weaknesses as its predecessor. An example of what I consider to be a problem due to these weaknesses (such as weak powered) is as follows: you cannot index your content (or even use a shared mysql media database) while playing something without having your CPU utilization skyrocket to 100% (where it stays there) even for a simple mp3 file. If you do not index your content then playback is fine. However the device isn't usable as a NAS because of the shared Ethernet/USB. And, you have to over-clock it to get it to get acceptable performance on the interface for Kodi.

When using something like Lubuntu just browsing the web on the raspberry pi is enormously problematic and it isn't something that I would wish upon anyone. On the banana pi it is fast enough out of the box to not even be considered problematic. It'll even play back a good amount 720p video adequately without accelerated video.

The banana pi's 1gb of ram is a godsend. The dual core CPU is an enormous improvement. The SATA port is wonderful. The 1gb Ethernet that's not shared with the USB ports creates the potential for a nice NAS device. As well, the gpio on the banana pi is pin compatible with the raspberry pi, so you can do everything on it that you do on the raspberry pi, including take advantage of the support system surrounding raspberry pi. I do think that the banana pi is quite a bit ahead of the raspberry pi. What it lacks is the commitment from projects like Kodi. To make things even more appetizing the new model of the banana pi has built in wireless and rids itself of the old composite input in favor of the same type of change that the raspberry pi model b+ does. I decided to get a banana pi because of the SATA port, 1gb ram, and 1gb Ethernet. These are important to me. With the second model having built in WiFi this makes it more enticing.

Now Kodi is a good solid project and it can make devices like this shine. I use Kodi all the time as my media center systems. I'd like to see these devs show some humility and reconsider this as a project that's worthwhile. Given that the only real thing lacking for the banana pi is accelerated video along and the latest version of Kodi hopefully this project's leaders will reconsider.

I've read posts where individuals are dumping on the banana pi while praising it's lesser cousin. This is really inappropriate. This is a solid device with massive potential. With a solid commitment from the right projects this one will step up for anyone willing to give it a go.

I have no affiliation with anyone related to these or any other pico board/software developer. I've just been in the industry for 30 years and have used these devices since they've been available.
(2014-10-25, 20:50)salatoimikud Wrote: 1080p works fine. New image @ forum.lemaker.org -> android

Please, no. Android is not the same as running a Linux project with lots of configuration at the OS level and XBMC on the face, such as for a car computer where you might need multiple WiFi devices, etc, nas, etc. Please, again, stop recommending android except for the primitive setups.
@Jimbo99

A20 dev boards are not bad, yes, but they've existed for far longer than the Banana Pi, and there are vastly better boards out there. There is zero reason to get a Banana Pi.

Everything you've said about why the R-Pi is bad just makes my brain hurt. As the years have gone by? Are you kidding me? We've only seen improvements in the software as the years have gone by. Ethernet being on the USB bus and generally being slow on the Pi was never an issue for XBMC/Kodi usage because video bitrates never got high enough to max it out. Different hardware add-ons using different GPIO pins? So what? When has that ever been an issue? Ever? It's called GPIO because it is general purpose.

And did you just bitch about the Pi not having a microphone?

The R-Pi is still quite slow, yeah, and the Banana Pi is a shit-ton faster, but that doesn't make the Banana Pi a good product:

• The Banana-Pi will never be able to reproduce the high video quality of the R-Pi
• The Banana Pi is far from the best A20 dev board
• Allwinner hasn't been able to reliably get their shit together for years regarding video decoding. To this day, you still need a special build to run Kodi on there and it's full of bugs. All they have to do is support the standard APIs for hardware video decoding. Allwinner is crap, and no one should ever use it for Kodi stuff. They could fix that, but they haven't so far.
• The ODROID-C1 is now kicking everyone's asses at $35 and this is all moot (god bless you, Hard Kernel and AMLogic)
I was reluctent to purchace one but I have been having the hardest time getting information about codecs to get video playback. I can do installs of addons but when I want to watch a video from any source I only get audio. I am fairly new to the Pi community and I feel that the Banana Pi is a prety cool device but XBMC is still a along ways away. I tried installing the Android image with the Pheonix software that they recomended. It does not work. I can format my SD card but when it comes to burning the image it goes through the process and says that it is successful but when I chek it there is nothing on the disk. It will run the Linux distros with no problem. Most of the images that they have listed are wither broken or the thing is only good for running Linux.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Banana Pi (raspi clone)3