• 3(current)
New model Raspberry Pi - The Pi 2 Model B launched
Where do you buy it for 35$? Been looking for a new kodi device for a long time now and since the old raspberry pi was very popular and supported i would like to take the plunge on this!
(2015-02-02, 12:11)noggin Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 12:06)Hedda Wrote: Hardkernel have a fairly good sized open source community too for their ODROID series, however not as large as for Raspberry Pi.

I think that is the key sentence. The Odroid C1 has a great hardware spec (though the eMMC stuff is pretty expensive - and they've used an annoying power connector) - but the Pi (and I expect the Pi2 will) benefits from a massively larger development community (as their sales are in the millions).

The previous Odroids have been potentially great devices, but the support has been far, far, far less useful than that of the Pi community. I bought a U2. Great spec. Guess what - my Pis are far more useful to me as they are massively better supported.

If you look at what the Pi community have achieved with hardware as limited as the Pi 1 - it could be amazing to see what the Pi 2 can deliver.

I don't think we have to see the two devices as rivals (and I'm not suggesting you are saying they are).
Well I think they key focus area point was the better video playback support on ODROID-C1, as hardware video decode are limited or restricted on Raspberry Pi.

This is the Kodi/XBMC forums after all and my guess is that the majority of people here are looking for video player devices for their favorite 10-foot GUI software.

So yes I am definitely saying that these two products are rival competitors, and in my humble opinion the ODROID-C1 is better hardware as a Kodi video player.
Yeah - i had Amd Fusion hardware (E series) for 2 years at home, without capable software, without capable SDK ... and never got it running fine. Since that day I never buy hardware that could get "eventual" support, but only stuff that is working right now (from an end customer point of view)

In the 35 dollar market - one does want to use the hw right now as is and here the odroid has a long way to go until only nearly feature level as the pi.

Edit: As dev, playing with toys is fun - but fun stops in the living room, when the family is not amused :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-02-02, 12:06)Hedda Wrote: Since ODROID-C1 is built on Amlogic S805 its optimized for video playback just on most Amlogic hardware, and support HEVC / H.265 and VP9 decoding, and they have not restricted hardware video decoding for any codecs in their firmwares like on Raspberry Pi.

Yeah, if I was buying something new in 2015 and planning to use it as a HTPC for several years then I think HEVC decoding would be on my list of requirements.

I don't use HEVC now and I don't plan on using it any time soon (except for test purposes) but by the end of this year and especially 2016 I can see myself wanting to play HEVC files more and more.
Is XBMC multithreaded? Are processes in XBMC multicore? Is Openelec RPi build multicore?
(2015-02-02, 12:19)Hedda Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 12:11)noggin Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 12:06)Hedda Wrote: Hardkernel have a fairly good sized open source community too for their ODROID series, however not as large as for Raspberry Pi.

I think that is the key sentence. The Odroid C1 has a great hardware spec (though the eMMC stuff is pretty expensive - and they've used an annoying power connector) - but the Pi (and I expect the Pi2 will) benefits from a massively larger development community (as their sales are in the millions).

The previous Odroids have been potentially great devices, but the support has been far, far, far less useful than that of the Pi community. I bought a U2. Great spec. Guess what - my Pis are far more useful to me as they are massively better supported.

If you look at what the Pi community have achieved with hardware as limited as the Pi 1 - it could be amazing to see what the Pi 2 can deliver.

I don't think we have to see the two devices as rivals (and I'm not suggesting you are saying they are).
Well I think they key focus area point was the better video playback support on ODROID-C1, as hardware video decode are limited or restricted on Raspberry Pi.

This is the Kodi/XBMC forums after all and my guess is that the majority of people here are looking for video player devices for their favorite 10-foot GUI software.

So yes I am definitely saying that these two products are rival competitors, and in my humble opinion the ODROID-C1 is better hardware as a Kodi video player.

Yep - the C1 has great hardware. I guess the question is whether it gets great developer support.

The C1 has hardware H265 decode - which I don't think the Pi will have. The Pi's optional MPEG2 and VC1 licences are a fair way of ensuring that users who don't need that decoding don't have to pay for it. (The Pi is primarily designed for education, and is widely used in the developing world where MPEG2 and VC1 decode isn't a requirement and paying for it would be an unfair tax. I guess Amlogic or Hardkernel include the licensing payments to the MPEG-LA etc. in the costs for all users, whereas the Pi Foundation made it optional to keep the price low.)

For me one key issue is OpenElec support. The Pi 2 will probably have it within 24 hours. AIUI the C1 still doesn't ?

In cost terms the Pi, in the UK at least, wins, even with the £3.60 paid for the codecs. (Pi2 delivered costs around £31 including codecs. C1 delivered costs around £41 including USB-DC power cable required because they didn't use a MicroUSB for power)
(2015-02-02, 12:34)Dimitriss Wrote: Is XBMC multithreaded? Are processes in XBMC multicore? Is Openelec RPi build multicore?

Already answered on page 1 of this thread : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1911955

Yes - Kodi is multithreaded.

You will need a new OpenElec build for the Pi2 as it needs a new kernel as it is a new SoC for the Pi. OE is also likely to be recompiled to take advantage of new instructions in ARMv7 architecture.

New OE builds expected later today : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1911942
Hey guys , I've ordered one of these to have a play with . Going on the stats will be existing power supplies work ok with this? Also what's the best sd card to get and wifi usb? I ran my old one hardwired but haven't used for ages due to sd card issues and new nuc.
Thanks all
just ordered one hope it lines up with the built in heat sink in the flirc case I just bought with my new model 1 b+.
(2015-02-02, 12:57)Sniffer77 Wrote: Hey guys , I've ordered one of these to have a play with . Going on the stats will be existing power supplies work ok with this? Also what's the best sd card to get and wifi usb? I ran my old one hardwired but haven't used for ages due to sd card issues and new nuc.
Thanks all

Adafruit are suggesting that the new board may draw more current than the B+ (which had reduced power requirements compared to the B) If your PSU is 5V 700mA then it might need to be upgraded. If it is a good 5V 2A PSU then it should be fine.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-t...b?view=all
"Power Draw
Quad-core ARMv7 processor means higher current draw. We'll get some number shortly but if you're still running with a cheap 5V 700mA power supply, we really recommend upgrading to a 5V @ 2000mA!"

However this is pre-testing by Adafruit.
(2015-02-02, 13:01)chclark Wrote: just ordered one hope it lines up with the built in heat sink in the flirc case I just bought with my new model 1 b+.

Worth knowing that the RAM is now on the underside of the board, and Pimoroni have had to re-design their B+ case to cope with the revised board layout. (Not sure the SoC is in exactly the same place).

New Pimoroni cases will work for both the Pi 2 B and the Pi 1 B+.
Will this now support bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA? Half of me hopes not as just bought a Zotac bi320!!
(2015-02-02, 13:11)noggin Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 12:57)Sniffer77 Wrote: Hey guys , I've ordered one of these to have a play with . Going on the stats will be existing power supplies work ok with this? Also what's the best sd card to get and wifi usb? I ran my old one hardwired but haven't used for ages due to sd card issues and new nuc.
Thanks all

Adafruit are suggesting that the new board may draw more current than the B+ (which had reduced power requirements compared to the B) If your PSU is 5V 700mA then it might need to be upgraded. If it is a good 5V 2A PSU then it should be fine.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-t...b?view=all
"Power Draw
Quad-core ARMv7 processor means higher current draw. We'll get some number shortly but if you're still running with a cheap 5V 700mA power supply, we really recommend upgrading to a 5V @ 2000mA!"

However this is pre-testing by Adafruit.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's a 2a that I got for the B, from pi hut.
Could you possibly reccomend a wifi dongle and sd card for openelec ?
Cheers
As a general recommendation, get a USB WiFI that operates in the 5Ghz band otherwise you will get interference with a 2.4Ghz one from any nearby Microwave oven when its operating.
A dual band one is even better.

http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

This is now the Rolls Royce of microSDHC cards for the RPi B+/2
https://www.modmypi.com/samsung-8gb-sd-c...n-linux-os

Cheaper older model here:
https://www.modmypi.com/noobs-pre-loaded...-8gb-micro

(2015-02-02, 12:26)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - i had Amd Fusion hardware (E series) for 2 years at home, without capable software, without capable SDK ... and never got it running fine. Since that day I never buy hardware that could get "eventual" support, but only stuff that is working right now (from an end customer point of view)

In the 35 dollar market - one does want to use the hw right now as is and here the odroid has a long way to go until only nearly feature level as the pi.

Edit: As dev, playing with toys is fun - but fun stops in the living room, when the family is not amused :-)

Exactly. I had the same experience with the Odroid U2. It was going to be 'amazing'. It never really was...
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New model Raspberry Pi - The Pi 2 Model B launched1