• 224(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
it's it's just two movies out of your entire library, I'd chalk it up to an encoding issue vs a decoding one (though obviously software handles it just fine) and I'd just re-encode them in AVC. Ones that stutter with VAAPI/VC-1 off aren't really of interest since that's likely a CPU/software decoding issue.

but please do provide debug logs for the two which are problematic. There's a link in the OP to the Kodi wiki on how to do so.
(2015-02-04, 18:22)Matt Devo Wrote: it's it's just two movies out of your entire library, I'd chalk it up to an encoding issue vs a decoding one (though obviously software handles it just fine) and I'd just re-encode them in AVC. Ones that stutter with VAAPI/VC-1 off aren't really of interest since that's likely a CPU/software decoding issue.

but please do provide debug logs for the two which are problematic. There's a link in the OP to the Kodi wiki on how to do so.

I've only seen the problem in those 2 thus far and those scenes look like torture tests for any type of processing. I will go to the wiki and post logs. I've done it before so I should be able to make it happen.

I agree,... maybe I should just re-encode those 2 movies and others if I find them... It's a rare problem... there's even a work around...
(2015-02-04, 09:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-04, 07:08)carlson.v Wrote: Hi I am wanting to know how to install standalone ubuntu on my chrome box? I apologize if this is the incorrect place to bring it up but I thought I may get pointed I'm the right direction. I have the device in developer mode and the write protect screw removed. I have been unable to find guidance on Ubuntu standalone all that I have found is references to install whatever Linux distro you want but no clear instruction on how it's done. I know that I need to put the OS on a usb stick and then hit the esc key when the device boots up and then install from the stick but there is so many files for Ubuntu I don't know which one to choose for this particular purpose. Thanks in advance to whoever can help me

1) follow steps for standalone setup
2) install Ubuntu instead of OpenELEC

Info on creating the Ubuntu USB installer is on Ubuntu's site, and is no different than on any other 64-bit x86 PC.

I have the option of Ubuntu 14.10 (unity) or 14.10 (GNOME) does it matter which one i would put on the chromebox? is one preferred over the other for this setup? thank you for the quick response! much appreciated
(2015-02-04, 09:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-04, 06:23)kupochu Wrote: Wait, so if I installed OpenElec over Kodibuntu, I wouldn't have to update the firmware to support OE 5.0.1? This is why I asked, in the first place, on why the coreboot firmware wasn't getting that update from earlier.

you're confusing two unrelated things. If you have the standalone firmware flashed, you can install any OS you want (other than ChromeOS and Windows prior to 8.1). The firmware and OS are not coupled in any way.
Ok then, thank you for clearing that up.
(2015-02-04, 18:52)carlson.v Wrote: I have the option of Ubuntu 14.10 (unity) or 14.10 (GNOME) does it matter which one i would put on the chromebox? is one preferred over the other for this setup? thank you for the quick response! much appreciated

it's whatever you prefer. Be sure to update your kernel (to 3.18.4) after install as per the wiki, since the one included with 14.10 doesn't have the latest Intel GPU fixes.
(On the continued issue of Vaapi acceleration causeing blocky artifacts on certain scenes.)

I uploaded the log file here..http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=414794

If wanted ... I can re-initialize OpenElec fully and make another log file.... Just to rule out any wierdness with add ons or something.

Also,... I can reproduce this problem all day with the first 3 minutes of Jurassic Park so it may be possible to host a 4 min sample video somewhere for further investigation. (If wanted.)

-Brian
For the sake of a better debugging log... I did a hard reset. Then I scanned in my movies, turned on the logging and reproduced the bug again.

The new log is here...
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=414808
I am using the HP Chromebox.
I have just run through the setup for standalone and now have a problem with no display output from the device.
The install went as per instructions without issue until I attempted to install OpenElec (latest version 5.0.1) installed on a USB device using the supplied batch script supplied with the installation.
On boot I selected the USD drive but the responce from the box was that it could not boot from the device.
Assuming that the installer hadnt been written properly, I shut down the device and recreated the USB installation.
Now the device has no video output on startup so I cannot do anything, including restoring the backed up firmware.

Any ideas??

As a newbie, apolgies if I have posted this to the wrong thread...

Thanks
(2015-02-05, 01:35)ho55man Wrote: I am using the HP Chromebox.
I have just run through the setup for standalone and now have a problem with no display output from the device.
The install went as per instructions without issue until I attempted to install OpenElec (latest version 5.0.1) installed on a USB device using the supplied batch script supplied with the installation.
On boot I selected the USD drive but the responce from the box was that it could not boot from the device.
Assuming that the installer hadnt been written properly, I shut down the device and recreated the USB installation.
Now the device has no video output on startup so I cannot do anything, including restoring the backed up firmware.

Any ideas??

As a newbie, apolgies if I have posted this to the wrong thread...

Thanks

there's no reason the box would work on the initial boot post firmware flash, but then not subsequently. Check all connections, disconnect power for 1 min, etc. Try a different display/cable/cable type.
(2015-02-03, 15:00)fritsch Wrote: Concerning VC-1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572....1-vc1.tar

Does that make the VC-1 issues better, worse or no difference. Please pastebin a complete log with component logging audio and video enabled.

I want to thank everyone who looked into the bug I was see-ing with VC1.

I have found a solution that works for me which is I will convert all my media to H264.
(2015-02-05, 03:21)bhampton Wrote: I want to thank everyone who looked into the bug I was see-ing with VC1.

I have found a solution that works for me which is I will convert all my media to H264.

I don't see that as a viable long-term solution, so I'd appreciate it if you are able to create a sample clip with which we can reproduce the issue. I'd recommend using the mkvmerge component of mkvtoolnix, and set the start/stop timestamps to create the sample (30s or so)
(2015-02-05, 03:37)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-05, 03:21)bhampton Wrote: I want to thank everyone who looked into the bug I was see-ing with VC1.

I don't see that as a viable long-term solution, so I'd appreciate it if you are able to create a sample clip with which we can reproduce the issue. I'd recommend using the mkvmerge component of mkvtoolnix, and set the start/stop timestamps to create the sample (30s or so)

Excellent... I will.... I think if I provided a 10 second sample ... or maybe 2 10 second samples... we would really get on the same page. I hope so.

Here's a link to a 15 second file ... it's from Jurassic Park ... so... it could be a tiny bit scary... not bad.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n6ras0hap9hx9...t.mkv?dl=0

With this file I can quickly see the bug I'm having. With Vaapi for VC1 accelation it's a mess... without acceleration it's fine.

-Brian
Just wanted to say thanks Matt for all the hard work. This was my first big leap into XBMC/Kodi and your work made things super smooth!

These Chromeboxes are really great devices. I haven't found anything that it can't handle yet (including h.265 and Hi10p anime).
Hi I am trying to do standlalone setup but when I am in the ez script I cannot see all of the text! How to move the screen to the right so I can see the text and scroll down without buggering anything up?
(2015-02-05, 06:06)carlson.v Wrote: Hi I am trying to do standlalone setup but when I am in the ez script I cannot see all of the text! How to move the screen to the right so I can see the text and scroll down without buggering anything up?

there's no easy way for me to tab/shift all of the text to the right, so you need to adjust (turn off) any overscan on your TV; how to do this varies by manufacturer/model, so google to find out how to do it for yours.
  • 224(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37