• 239(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-02-16, 21:16)VanillaXtract Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 16:25)ThEgOg Wrote: can anyone please clarify whether the EZ script works on a chromebook? i have a hp 14 4gb with the 2995u processor. i've used the search function on the thread but reading standalone comments is still a little confusing. a few posts talk about installing on chromebooks, however there doesn't seem to be anything in Matt's info post at the start?

if it does then amazing as kodi is the only extra thing i wish i had on my chromebook.

i'm happy to read the 3.5k plus post thread if it does, however if it doesn't work on chromebooks i'd rather not waste my time if poss

many thanks for your time

Like Matt said, it does not work if you want to get rid of ChromeOS and run a different OS. But if you are looking to dual boot, then yes, the script works. I have used it do dual boot OpenELEC and after a SSD upgrade, I now dual boot Ubuntu. This is on a C720P and an HP 14.

i would want to dual boot chromeOS and openelec ideally. So that is possible?

i'm surprised there aren't more chromebook users looking into this tbh,

many thanks for the replies guys much appreciated
Yes, just follow the instructions in the first post
Ah great! many thanksSmile
(2015-02-16, 21:30)ThEgOg Wrote: i'm surprised there aren't more chromebook users looking into this tbh,
Me too.
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
(2015-02-16, 21:30)ThEgOg Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 21:16)VanillaXtract Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 16:25)ThEgOg Wrote: can anyone please clarify whether the EZ script works on a chromebook? i have a hp 14 4gb with the 2995u processor. i've used the search function on the thread but reading standalone comments is still a little confusing. a few posts talk about installing on chromebooks, however there doesn't seem to be anything in Matt's info post at the start?

if it does then amazing as kodi is the only extra thing i wish i had on my chromebook.

i'm happy to read the 3.5k plus post thread if it does, however if it doesn't work on chromebooks i'd rather not waste my time if poss

many thanks for your time

Like Matt said, it does not work if you want to get rid of ChromeOS and run a different OS. But if you are looking to dual boot, then yes, the script works. I have used it do dual boot OpenELEC and after a SSD upgrade, I now dual boot Ubuntu. This is on a C720P and an HP 14.

Probably because most Kodi users are more interested in Kodi in their TV's than a laptop sized screen.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-16, 23:33)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 21:30)ThEgOg Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 21:16)VanillaXtract Wrote: Like Matt said, it does not work if you want to get rid of ChromeOS and run a different OS. But if you are looking to dual boot, then yes, the script works. I have used it do dual boot OpenELEC and after a SSD upgrade, I now dual boot Ubuntu. This is on a C720P and an HP 14.

Probably because most Kodi users are more interested in Kodi in their TV's than a laptop sized screen.
As am I. Since I take my chromebook with me when I travel, it is nice to dual boot into Kodi and use the HDMI out to hook up to the TV in the hotel room and watch movies.
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Well that's a good use case. But it would annoy me if you couldn't close the lid while plugged into the TV.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
quote='VanillaXtract' pid='1929334' dateline='1424122859']
(2015-02-16, 23:33)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 21:30)ThEgOg Wrote: i would want to dual boot chromeOS and openelec ideally. So that is possible?

As am I. Since I take my chromebook with me when I travel, it is nice to dual boot into Kodi and use the HDMI out to hook up to the TV in the hotel room and watch movies.
[/quote]

Exactly that, I already have many devices running kodi in my home.
It's more for when travelling etc
I'll use mine for the plethora of streaming addons
(2015-02-16, 23:45)nickr Wrote: Well that's a good use case. But it would annoy me if you couldn't close the lid while plugged into the TV.
But you can. I haven't tried with ubuntu yet, but with OpenELEC I could close the lid and the movie would keep on truckin'.
Excellent!
I've used OpenElec on my Chromebook (booting from an external USB stick) and it is a great solution when travelling. Put a DVB-T/T2 USB tuner in it, and HDMI cable to the Hotel TV and you usually get much better quality TV than the analogue ring mains, and you can watch movies you've brought with you on a hard drive should you wish. And then you can take a neat light Chromebook (or Ubuntu laptop) out and about during the day if you need to.
I cannot find Kodi after installation (Ubuntu)...

I set up an Asus Chromebox (CN60) using the "3Tfu5W" install script for dual-boot Ubuntu+Kodi.
It seems to have worked, but when I loging to ubuntu (user:user) I cannot find the Kodi installation.
What am I missing?
Am I blind?
I'm a complete noob when it comes to this Chromebox/Ubuntu/Kodi environment and I appologize for the dumb question.

I have installed Ubuntu and Kodi on a old desktop before and it works great, and was hoping the ChromeBox|Ubuntu|Kodi interface was similar.
you should just be able to type 'kodi' into the program search at the top left. I assume you selected 'y' when asked if you want to install Kodi?

there's nothing ChromeBox-specific about the Ubuntu/Kodi installation (outside of the partition setup when dual booting), it's just automated for your convenience
When you login, you can also select Kodi from the drop down menu instead of Ubuntu. This will boot directly into Kodi.
  • 239(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37