• 11(current)
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
tfouto says Booting to Win 8.1 or OpenElec is insanely fast.

Does this mean you have both OSs on your NUC at the same time?

Also, what made you purchase the K model as opposed to the H?
(2015-02-24, 15:31)JNRW Wrote: tfouto says Booting to Win 8.1 or OpenElec is insanely fast.

I have the Windows on M.2 SSD, and a usb pen with openelec always pluged to NUC. It boots to Windows normally. If i want to boot to OpenElec, i just restart and press F10 on boot and choose the usb the boot from.

I choose the K just because of the size.
(2015-02-24, 15:40)tfouto Wrote:
(2015-02-24, 15:31)JNRW Wrote: tfouto says Booting to Win 8.1 or OpenElec is insanely fast.

I have the Windows on M.2 SSD, and a usb pen with openelec always pluged to NUC. It boots to Windows normally. If i want to boot to OpenElec, i just restart and press F10 on boot and choose the usb the boot from.

I choose the K just because of the size.

Many thanks for your quick and useful reply.

I am seriously thinking about upgrading from my Android box to the Intel NUC and am searching for as much relevant information as possible.
uggg, My NUC was scheduled to be delivered today. Fedex came while I was working. uggg. Hate waiting for things :-)
Just got my NUC5i3RYH, 4GB of RAM and a 2.5" 80GB SSD Intel 530. I installed Arch Linux but I have sound problems, basically no sound. I then just installed OpenELEC + Plex Home Theater and it works flawlessly. Anyone succeeded to instal ArchLinux?
Firewall/Router pfSense 2.2 (Super Micro A1SRi-2558) - TV SHARP LC-40LE924E - AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW) - Switch HP ProCurve 1410-8G - HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH (OpenELEC + Plex) - Synology DS213+ (2x3TB ST3000DM001-1CH166-301) - Laptop AlienWare M17R2 - Popcorn Hour A-210 (Dead)
(2015-02-24, 12:57)tfouto Wrote: Finally my nuc5i3ryk arrived. 120 GB Kingston Sata III. 4GB of Ram.

So far my few, initial impressions:

Booting to Win 8.1 or OpenElec is insanely fast. Launching Kodi 14.2 beta is slow. it take 3-4 seconds to launch. A little disapointed because of this. It's slow to get even to splash screen. Maybe this fix will solve it: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1870480 Have to try later when home.

On my i-3770k, is almost instant.

The performance of Kodi on Nuc is fast. Playing 4k HEVC, is not a smoot experience. Even on Opelec, and mpc-hc. I have to try with lower bitrates, but high-mid bitrates HEVC, is a no go for now. Maybe when the codecs are more mature things get better and HW support gets fully implemented.

Also i cant sleep the NUC. Anybody knows why? I have a Microsoft All-in-Keyboard, and have to plug in a mini usb bluetooth. Maybe that's because of that? When i sleep the NUC, it just wake itself.

Thanks

So a refresh.
Kodi is just slow starting up when i plug on my monitor computer, because there is no audio connection I use a cheap HDMI adapter to displayport. My 1440p monitor dont have HDMI inputs. Only displayport and DVI-D. Maybe Kodi takes longer when there's no Audio signal, because it's searching for one. On TV it's really fast (HDMI). So it's ok. I use on TV. Monitor computer is just to configure my NUC anyway.

Regarding to sleep, i cant make it sleep, when using keyboard with usb, and making it sleep via keyboard. If i use the IR remote control it sleeps fine and wake up fine, even if keyboard (USB) is plugged.So ok either, because that's how i want it to use.
Hi all anyone know best placed in uk to get the I5 at a decent price ? Not sure to get 4th or 5th gen model?
Bit of a bummer, I'm having no luck getting video from Windows 8.1 on my i5's DisplayPort
Just bought some new cables and same result: I can see the BIOS screens but once it appears to hand off to Windows, screen goes blank, no signal
Rightly or wrongly I install on a daily basis the nightly builds of I****** Version 15.0 on both my Windows PC and my Android box. Installing these from their respective download files is as straightforward as it gets. My question is, how is this particular operation performed on OpenELEC?

And before anyone asks why I have not posted on the OpenELEC forum it is because I know there are people well experienced in the use of OpenELEC currently posting on this thread on this forum, who have been kind enough to assist me in the past.
(2015-02-25, 14:50)macrho Wrote: Bit of a bummer, I'm having no luck getting video from Windows 8.1 on my i5's DisplayPort
Just bought some new cables and same result: I can see the BIOS screens but once it appears to hand off to Windows, screen goes blank, no signal

Err not sure how you switched it across.. if you already booted it in hdmi then switch to displayport it might think your trying to extend your desktop.. Play around with the setting around there... see if you can plug in both hdmi and displayport then set displayport monitor as primary..
(2015-02-25, 20:52)JSLee Wrote: Err not sure how you switched it across.. if you already booted it in hdmi then switch to displayport it might think your trying to extend your desktop.. Play around with the setting around there... see if you can plug in both hdmi and displayport then set displayport monitor as primary..

The displayport doesn't show up anywhere in Windows, can't extend the desktop. I reboot the box, switch over to DisplayPort, I see the BIOS entry info and then it go blank, no signal
Sounds to be a windows driver issues if you see the bios on the displayport.. reinstall the display drivers..
Or some EDID issue.
Try pushing the cable as far into the connector as possible, on both ends Smile
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Yep, sounds very similar to a problem I had recently:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215470
(2015-02-25, 18:55)JNRW Wrote: Rightly or wrongly I install on a daily basis the nightly builds of I****** Version 15.0 on both my Windows PC and my Android box. Installing these from their respective download files is as straightforward as it gets. My question is, how is this particular operation performed on OpenELEC?

And before anyone asks why I have not posted on the OpenELEC forum it is because I know there are people well experienced in the use of OpenELEC currently posting on this thread on this forum, who have been kind enough to assist me in the past.

Anyone, please?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6