• 14(current)
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
(2015-03-05, 16:28)JNRW Wrote: I am probably going to get a NUC5i5RYK and I wonder whether I would notice any difference in running Kodi through Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit. Personally I am used to W7 and have never used W8.1.

Does anyone know?

I have decided against OpenELEC.

I find the start screen quite usefull for a media center. I have Windows 8.1, and having no problem with it. Run Kodi and other software fine.
(2015-03-05, 16:37)tfouto Wrote:
(2015-03-05, 16:28)JNRW Wrote: I am probably going to get a NUC5i5RYK and I wonder whether I would notice any difference in running Kodi through Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit. Personally I am used to W7 and have never used W8.1.

Does anyone know?

I have decided against OpenELEC.

I find the start screen quite usefull for a media center. I have Windows 8.1, and having no problem with it. Run Kodi and other software fine.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

The reason for my query is that if there is no perceptible loss of performance using W7 then I would prefer it but it would need someone who has used both to confirm this.
Windows 8.1 has also faster boot time then Windows 7.

I dont know about running kodi on windows 7, but i dont see i would it be different.
(2015-03-05, 18:09)tfouto Wrote: Windows 8.1 has also faster boot time then Windows 7.

I dont know about running kodi on windows 7, but i dont see i would it be different.

Again many thanks for your assistance. I appreciate it a lot.

I also cannot see that running Kodi on Windows 7 would be inferior to running it on Windows 8.1 especially on a fast machine like the NUC5i5RYK.
I am starting to think the i3 variant maybe my best choice as it will has a bit of future proofing vs Haswell and I like the idea of a media remote(seems to be the only one to offer a built in IR receiver?). It's not clear, but is the remote included(im in the states) or do I need to buy one?

Also, which trusted dealer lowest price on the i3 model(any of them)? Will price be going down anytime soon since it seems like 6th gen intel cpu maybe coming out?
I know 4th gen NUC comes in Celeron variant and I would think this would too?
sorry if already been asked but new to this, can someone kindly explain how to install dual boot for openelecand windows 8.1 on NUC5i5RYH
I recieved my NUC5i5RYK on Friday but I was without a m2 SSD until today. I've setup Kodi on Ubuntu 14.04 minimal install which works beautifully fast etc.

The only issue is that my remote is not working, it worked with haswell nuc.

At some point when Kodi gets the integrated emulators I'm going to put that on, if that ever happens.

Found this,

https://communities.intel.com/message/280844

Sorry I just brought this without reading much.. Upgrading from the haswell as I like to play with new stuff
Did yours come with the remote or did you but it separately?
Just wanted to let everyone know that nothingbutsavings.com sells the i5 model for $355
Is that a safe site to purchase from, cause i've never heard of it and the prices on the i3 looks pretty good(same as haswell based i3 model). I just wonder if i have to pay tax like one has to via Amazon. I am 80% sure I am going to get the NUC5I3RYK, and excited.* I plan to hook this up to my tv, via HDMI, my tv doesn't offer PiP, and my cable provider requires a cable box, just to get regular cable tv. I know there is an accessory that allows one to replace the top cover with a tv tuner(?) if I am not mistaken. I know in the past one could use a tv tuner(I think I still have an older Hauppauge USB TV stick somewhere?), to watch tv; but, now that tvs require a box just to get even regular cable what is the options now? Thank you.

I say 80% sure, because part of me wants a full size SD slot, but the 5th gen cpu is swaying me a good bit over lack of SD slot.
(2015-03-06, 00:56)agender Wrote: Did yours come with the remote or did you but it separately?

It doesn't come with a remote. You should be able to use any Microsoft compatible MCE remote, I have a Logitech programmable remote.
Nothingbutsavings.com is a Google trusted store. I ordered a i5, shipping is estimated at 7 to 10 days, bought it on 20 February and received it on 24 February, I wasn't in a rush so 7-10 days didn't bother me, but was surprised to receive it early, they ship through fedex and tracking was great. There was no sales tax, I bought it when it was $369, but it has since dropped to $355.
(2015-03-05, 23:29)tutu Wrote: I recieved my NUC5i5RYK on Friday but I was without a m2 SSD until today. I've setup Kodi on Ubuntu 14.04 minimal install which works beautifully fast etc.

At some point when Kodi gets the integrated emulators I'm going to put that on, if that ever happens.

Found this,

Sorry I just brought this without reading much.. Upgrading from the haswell as I like to play with new stuff

What about

https://communities.intel.com/message/239181#239181
(2015-03-05, 23:29)tutu Wrote: I recieved my NUC5i5RYK on Friday but I was without a m2 SSD until today. I've setup Kodi on Ubuntu 14.04 minimal install which works beautifully fast etc.

Found this,

Funny. I'm running Win8.1 and it works out-of-the-box (after driver install). MCE remote. However, proper setup with irss server suite is required for some keys after a quick test.
Win 8.1 64bit
NUC5i5RYK, Onkyo TX508, LG 42LM620T
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6