• 28(current)
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
Hello Everyone I have been following this thread for awhile now. When I first got into XBMC the first device I ever used was the raspberry Pi model b and thought it was fun little device to tinker around with. I then upgraded to the OUYA android TV game console just because I found the Pi to be quite sluggish. I was looking into all these other android TV boxes and there are a TON out there and I've heard many good and bad things about them. I wanted to have an experience that would cause me the least amount of problems so I went ahead and ordered the new Broadwell NUC 5i5ryk. I so excited until it gets here.

The ram and ssd that I went with are as follows:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...1422910776
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...1422910776

I have also made sure to get an HDMI-miniHDMI 1.4a cable to use with the Nuc. I am going to be setting up this box in my family room obviously as a HTPC mostly using Kodi. The tv that we have is a 1080p tv, probably be upgrading to 4k in the future but not anytime soon.

Now the only thing that I'm confused about is that many people are saying to install Openelec on the NUC which I think is a just an XBMC program but I think Im going to instal WIndows 8.1 64bit just because I'll have an open platform to work with. Also my parents and younger siblings will be using this box for their mainstream daily tasks as well. Is there a major difference between Openelec on the NUC as opposed to running windows with Kodi installed on it? Does Openelec work faster or something?
Kodi on Openelec will boot faster for sure. It's kind of a Linux distro just made to run Kodi : so it does it well, it does it fast, but also it knows only to do this ;-)
With windows you can do other things. So if you intend to not use your nuc only for kodi, openelec is a no go.
Is smooth playback of 4K HEVC x265 HFR material possible on a NUC5i5RYH?
(2015-06-21, 17:19)SpaceAgeHero Wrote: Is smooth playback of 4K HEVC x265 HFR material possible on a NUC5i5RYH?

What frame rate?
(2015-06-21, 00:13)DannyH17 Wrote: Now the only thing that I'm confused about is that many people are saying to install Openelec on the NUC which I think is a just an XBMC program but I think Im going to instal WIndows 8.1 64bit just because I'll have an open platform to work with. Also my parents and younger siblings will be using this box for their mainstream daily tasks as well. Is there a major difference between Openelec on the NUC as opposed to running windows with Kodi installed on it? Does Openelec work faster or something?

OpenElec is a cut-down Linux distro optimised for use with Kodi and includes a Kodi build it boots in to. It's designed to run as an appliance, which means it is robust, has a read only file system for much of the system (with RW areas for user storage) and is optimised for a lot of HTPC hardware (remote controls, sound cards, GPUs etc.) Usually "It just works".

Because it is a very lightweight distro, it also has very low overheads, so requires less memory and consumes less CPU than a bigger OS like Windows. So yes - it usually runs faster - or uses less CPU.

Playing back 1080i high bitrate H264 content in Kodi under Windows takes around 10% more CPU on the same PC in Windows than it does in OpenElec in a recent test I did on a Celeron 2957U platform.

Windows allows you to do more things - but also brings with it more possible interruptions like System Updates, Anti Virus Scans, other bits of software popping up to interrupt your viewing etc. With OpenElec you don't get this stuff - it's optimised for Kodi.

They are for two very different use cases. If you just want a box to run Kodi, then OpenElec is often the best choice. If you want to run Kodi but also run games, Netflix, do a bit of e-mail or word processing then Windows (or a more general Linux solution) may be better. If you need your box to do more than just Kodi, then OpenElec probably isn't the best fit for you.

(You can Web browse in the Intel x86 Kodi builds by adding an unofficial Chromium Browser add-on - though this doesn't, I believe, support Netflix and Amazon Video in-browser as it is missing the DRM components required for this?)
(2015-06-21, 18:10)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 17:19)SpaceAgeHero Wrote: Is smooth playback of 4K HEVC x265 HFR material possible on a NUC5i5RYH?

What frame rate?

60 fps
Forget it :-) - Windows DXVA is not even fast enough to render 60 progressive frames (4k).

Even on Linux, we had to rewrite VAAPI once again to use zero copy EGL transfer functions to get 4k @ 60 fps done.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-06-21, 18:15)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 00:13)DannyH17 Wrote: Now the only thing that I'm confused about is that many people are saying to install Openelec on the NUC which I think is a just an XBMC program but I think Im going to instal WIndows 8.1 64bit just because I'll have an open platform to work with. Also my parents and younger siblings will be using this box for their mainstream daily tasks as well. Is there a major difference between Openelec on the NUC as opposed to running windows with Kodi installed on it? Does Openelec work faster or something?

OpenElec is a cut-down Linux distro optimised for use with Kodi and includes a Kodi build it boots in to. It's designed to run as an appliance, which means it is robust, has a read only file system for much of the system (with RW areas for user storage) and is optimised for a lot of HTPC hardware (remote controls, sound cards, GPUs etc.) Usually "It just works".

Because it is a very lightweight distro, it also has very low overheads, so requires less memory and consumes less CPU than a bigger OS like Windows. So yes - it usually runs faster - or uses less CPU.

Playing back 1080i high bitrate H264 content in Kodi under Windows takes around 10% more CPU on the same PC in Windows than it does in OpenElec in a recent test I did on a Celeron 2957U platform.

Windows allows you to do more things - but also brings with it more possible interruptions like System Updates, Anti Virus Scans, other bits of software popping up to interrupt your viewing etc. With OpenElec you don't get this stuff - it's optimised for Kodi.

They are for two very different use cases. If you just want a box to run Kodi, then OpenElec is often the best choice. If you want to run Kodi but also run games, Netflix, do a bit of e-mail or word processing then Windows (or a more general Linux solution) may be better. If you need your box to do more than just Kodi, then OpenElec probably isn't the best fit for you.

(You can Web browse in the Intel x86 Kodi builds by adding an unofficial Chromium Browser add-on - though this doesn't, I believe, support Netflix and Amazon Video in-browser as it is missing the DRM components required for this?)

Oh well that makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. I can see why users with the chromeboxes that have Celeron CPUs would choose to use open elec since it uses less resources. However since the 5i5ryk has a much more beefier and powerful CPU I think Windows 8.1 would be the best choice IMO.
(2015-06-22, 00:57)DannyH17 Wrote: Oh well that makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. I can see why users with the chromeboxes that have Celeron CPUs would choose to use open elec since it uses less resources. However since the 5i5ryk has a much more beefier and powerful CPU I think Windows 8.1 would be the best choice IMO.

Yes - though if you are pushing the hardware with higher resolutions and frame rates, having a less bloated OS can be useful still. On the other hand, sometimes you get better drivers for Windows than for Linux (say with improved codec support or access to higher quality deinterlacing modes)

That said - a lot of very clever people are involved in developing stuff on Linux and that filters quickly into OpenElec.
Has anyone setup Openelec on the NUC5iuRYH (i75557U proc), let alone a stable version of Kodi?
All I see through the thread is NUC i5...

Thanks in advance
(2015-06-25, 01:06)brawlman Wrote: Has anyone setup Openelec on the NUC5iuRYH (i75557U proc), let alone a stable version of Kodi?
All I see through the thread is NUC i5...

Thanks in advance

Me, the best kodi choice so far.I've tried also kodi with windows and kubuntu.
If you use intel nuc above all for kodi, the best way for me is to install only openelec (with chromium addon) and windows on an external drive (windows to go mode).
Hi

I have just bought the NUC5I5RYH and have installed openelec on to it. I have updated the bios to the latest version which allowed me to select rc6 remote and control kodi via infrared.

I just wondered if there are any settings in the bios that need tweaking? I have set the graphics to use minimum 512MB and set the fan to minimum 25% instead of the default 40%, are there any more?

Many thanks
I need help as my receiver does not display DTS or HD DTS on it.
I hook up udc5I5ryh to Denon x1000
I played with the audio settings in kodi and the best I got was multi in.

Ok issue resolved as I did not config the audio from win7
Does anyone have a problem turning on by ir remote? It does work but I have to press power twice sometimes before it boots. Just wondered if it's normal.
Many questions (below) and appreciate any and all feedback. I'm still new to Openelec and Kodi.
I cut my teeth on the Asus Chromebox running openelec version 4.2.1 (*ran flawless until the M2 SSD stopped working...)
Hardware:
MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF M2 SSD Solid State Drive (128GB)
Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory Modules CT2CP51264BF160B

Current Hardware/Nightmare:
OpenELEC 4.2.1
NUC5i7RYH (BIOS RYBDWI35.86A.0249.BI)
Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb
Patriot 16GB(2x8GB) Viper Series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CL9/ Voltage 1.35V Laptop Memory - PV316G160LC9SK (* Went in snug with the heat shield, but the clips held)

I wasn't able to install Openelec ver 5.0.8 onto the NUC no matter what I tried. Tried forcing the NUC to load from USB, but wouldn't load or start the setup... (Feedback needed)
My plans are to solely use this NUC for Openelec and to run Kodi 14.2 but again everything I've tried has not worked...
I used the same flash drive that I set up my Asus Chromebox running ver 4.2.1. More below with LAN connection issues...

Questions:
1) How are you suppose to Download/load Kodi when all there is on their "Download" section for Linux (isn't this what OpenELEC falls under?) is "Help" & "Guide"
Under "Guide" it gives me the directions to "Upgrade" but it isn't as straightforward as the "Kodi Chromebox Wiki" in getting into the Developer mode. Everything points back to OpenELEC, but can't find anything to do with Kodi...
Ctl, Alt, F2 on reboot of NUC from OpenELEC doesn't do anything... Is there another way to set this up? Is there a hidden way to get into a developer mode with the NUC?

2) OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-5.0.8.tar doesn't load and gave up trying from scratch and even tried to load after the OpenELEC 4.2.1 but will not update... (Again LAN issue...)

3) I truly believe there's a LAN issue with the NUC that I have. I was able to download a movie the first day after install, but after that nothing... Nothing downloads, and movies that worked played before, common movies, are not playing in wire or wireless... I called Intel NUC support and was told the drivers will not work for Linux...
Am I to believe that all the NUC specs are a hype and a bust if loaded outside of Windows? I might have to give it a shot and find out...
I also noticed EVERY YouTube video that I seen with Kodi tutorial and NONE were with OpenELEC... They were primarily Windows, Rasberry PI, Ubuntu... Am I missing something?
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6