• 64(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-07-29, 05:28)ocmdiaz714 Wrote: Got my shield yesterday. Not worth the $200 for me, someone interested in its media capabilities rather than gaming. It's only been a day but I might return it and hook my huge tower back in.

@ocmdiaz714, could you expand on why the SATV media capabilities are not worth $200 so potential buyers can learn from your experience?

EDIT: Any new issue that hasn't been mentioned on this thread already?
i seriously don't get you guys.
you buy a device while absolutely knowing the currently limitations and then complain it's not what you want.

either accept it or wait till new new update start rolling out and ask other before buying.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-07-29, 07:50)Koying Wrote: OTOH, I've seen people working on implementing DTS-HD (full) decoding into Kodi itself. That + 7.1 lpcm would workaround the issue of not having HD audio passthrough.

It's there already on the Pi 2 OpenElec testing builds isn't it?
Can anyone recommend any good remotes that work with android side and with kodi?

I tried to read history but found nothing, I remember I read a while back about some remotes.

Do I need a separate IR receiver for shield or can bluetooth or something be used?
What IR receiver is recommended?

Now I use gamepad for android,netflix etc and kodi remote on my phone for kodi. Gamepad is not nice to use and it would be much easier with only one remote to do all.
I see all this talk about the audio output but how many people really have the equipment and the setup to even play DTS-HD... Same Thing on the video output
(2015-07-29, 11:31)noggin Wrote:
(2015-07-29, 07:50)Koying Wrote: OTOH, I've seen people working on implementing DTS-HD (full) decoding into Kodi itself. That + 7.1 lpcm would workaround the issue of not having HD audio passthrough.

Yep, that must be it Wink
Not sure if it's been PR'ed to master, yet...
(2015-07-29, 14:02)Koying Wrote:
(2015-07-29, 11:31)noggin Wrote:

Yep, that must be it Wink
Not sure if it's been PR'ed to master, yet...

yes it is
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-07-29, 13:19)sandogo1 Wrote: I see all this talk about the audio output but how many people really have the equipment and the setup to even play DTS-HD... Same Thing on the video output

Almost everyone with a modern tv has the ability for proper video framerates. I agree dts-hd requires more equipment than many people need.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-29, 11:54)Anagonda Wrote: Can anyone recommend any good remotes that work with android side and with kodi?

Do I need a separate IR receiver for shield or can bluetooth or something be used?
What IR receiver is recommended?

It has an IR receiver and can also work with BT controllers.

See here - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2050586 & here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2026987
cnx-software Wrote:Michael Mirabel of Phoronix got remote access to a Shield TV PRO – model with a 500GB hard drive – running Ubuntu 14.10.
[...]
He obviously ran Phoronix Test Suite on the device, and compared to it some other ARM devices (Compule Utilite, Jetson TK1), MIPS Creator CI20, low power x86 devices (Compute Stick, Intel NUC with Celeron N2820), and an Intel Core i3-5010u NUC. The Tegra X1 platform easily beats all other low power platforms, and comes close to the Core i3 mini PC in most tests.

source: http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/07/29/n...rformance/

It's impressive how ARM SoCs are getting more and more powerful. I guess the downside regarding x86 is a more limited instruction set / extensions. Still, the X1 looks like a beast.
(2015-07-29, 14:04)nickr Wrote:
(2015-07-29, 13:19)sandogo1 Wrote: I see all this talk about the audio output but how many people really have the equipment and the setup to even play DTS-HD... Same Thing on the video output

Almost everyone with a modern tv has the ability for proper video framerates. I agree dts-hd requires more equipment than many people need.

Though those in North America often don't have 50Hz support, those of us outside North America usually have 50/59.94/60.00Hz support and many of us also have 23.976/24.000Hz support without 3:2 repetition too.

Video output is basically anyone outside North America. All HDTVs sold in Europe must support both 50Hz and 59.94/60Hz at 720p and 1080i, and most also add 1080p. 23.976/24.000Hz support is optional, but widespread, and these days usually without 3:2.

Audio output will depend on whether you have an HDMI AVR or not, though as many Kodi users are HTPC/Blu-ray enthusiasts I wouldn't be surprised if the concentration of AVR ownership in these parts was higher than average. Lots of us have Onkyo or Yamaha AVRs compatible with HD Audio and/or PCM multichannel.
(2015-07-29, 14:04)nickr Wrote:

A typical user interested in home theater these days doesn't have a modern receiver and 5.1 surround at a minimum (keep in mind I am talking about a setup of hardware and speakers that could cost less than $1k and still be decent)? If not, that greatly surprises me. Joe public not having it doesn't surprise me, but "tech enthusiasts" (which I think anyone frequenting a Kodi messageboard would be classified as) not having it would be very surprising. Personally I would not be very into great media playback capabilities if I didn't have at least a baseline level of hardware at home to enjoy it on.
DTS-HD is 7.1, so not sure of your point.

Even so, it personally took me a while before getting a 5.1, and then again for dev purposes.
Now that I have one, I'd probably have a hard time to get back to 2.1, but it suited me at the time.
(2015-07-29, 05:28)ocmdiaz714 Wrote: Got my shield yesterday. Not worth the $200 for me, someone interested in its media capabilities rather than gaming. It's only been a day but I might return it and hook my huge tower back in.

This is why i am holding out on this one,until i hear something positive about it in this forum,then i will rush to the store and buy one.
I already have the XboxOne for gaming don't another device to play Mobile games.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9