• 69(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
I tried to use some torrent addon on Nvidia Shield Android TV. However these addons detects my Shield is Android_X86 and it downloads independent libraries for Android_X86 instead Android_ARM. Certainly my shield cannot run these libraries. So anybody know force Kodi detect my Shield is Android_ARM?
What the Shield needs is a good set of custom ROMs to make it replace the TV Box type of units.

Right now there is no proper place for development. The mafia behind XDA seem to stifle Shield TV development for whatever reason.
What's everyone's problem with 23.976 being displayed at 24? I can understand 3:2 pulldown on 60hz (trivial), but this is ludicrous. As is "HD audio".. Do you guys really think you can hear the difference? Thousands of audio industry pros and consumers were tested with CD quality vs 96/192kHz, and their results were the same as flipping a coin.. And you guys arent even devs! There's gotta be more pressing features for the devs to work on.
(2015-08-20, 08:14)inestima Wrote: What's everyone's problem with 23.976 being displayed at 24? I can understand 3:2 pulldown on 60hz (trivial), but this is ludicrous.
Lots of us see a frame drop or repeat every 40" or so, which is what you get with mismatched 23.976/24.000 content and refresh. I find it quite annoying and distracting.

This can be mitigated with the option of matching playback to display, but then you have to cope with dropping.duping audio frames or resampling, as the audio vs video rate is then wrong and has to be fixed somehow.

Personally I don't see the point in not just getting it right in the first place. Given that there are lots of platforms that do 23.976 and 24.000 properly, why compromise? It is one of those things that is worth getting right.

Quote:As is "HD audio".. Do you guys really think you can hear the difference? Thousands of audio industry pros and consumers were tested with CD quality vs 96/192kHz, and their results were the same as flipping a coin.. And you guys arent even devs! There's gotta be more pressing features for the devs to work on.

HD Audio isn't about high sampling rate (there are relatively few 96 and 192kHz HD Audio Blu-ray releases, most are 48kHz 16 bit or 48kHz 24 bit) - it isn't 48 vs 96/192. Personally I'm not convinced by 96/192kHz (and can see that it can introduce all sorts of nasty harmonics and artefacts that could make it sound worse if not implemented properly) The argument for HD Audio is about lossy compression vs lossless compression. It's the same argument as FLAC/ALAC lossless vs MP3/AAC lossy compression for CD rips.

Whether people can hear the difference between FLAC/ALAC and MP3/AAC or whether they can hear the difference between Dolby True HD/DTS HD MA and DD/DTS is the question. In most situations on most content I suspect most people won't hear the difference between 1.5Mbs DTS and a DTS HD MA track, nor the difference between 640k Dolby Digital and a Dolby True HD track. However in some situations, with some content, some people will. I you have Lossless HD Audio tracks available, why would you not want to listen to them? You are guaranteed that they won't have compression artefacts on any content - as they are losslessly compressed. If the DD or DTS track is lower bitrate than 640k/1.5Mbs respectively, then you are more likely to hear the difference.

It's a bit like selecting an iTunes 256k AAC version of a track rather than the original CD...

If you are watching re-encodes just in stereo on a TV then the issues are less relevant. If you are watching lossless Blu-ray rips via a decent AVR, there is good reason to get 23.976 and HD Audio right.
Can someone tell me if the direct tv app is supported on this player? I have read that only the nexus player so far you are able to download the direct tv app from the store to watch live streams. Can someone confirm?
Not to mention you will never get Atmos or any next generation sound out of devices that cannot either bitstream/passthrough or decode those streams. You can certainly hear the difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Atmos with sound coming from above you.
(2015-08-20, 15:39)Jimmay19 Wrote: Can someone tell me if the direct tv app is supported on this player? I have read that only the nexus player so far you are able to download the direct tv app from the store to watch live streams. Can someone confirm?

The app is greyed out in the Play store for my Shield. No idea on sideloading or getting it to work, sorry.
(2015-08-20, 15:41)hifiaudio2 Wrote:
(2015-08-20, 15:39)Jimmay19 Wrote: Can someone tell me if the direct tv app is supported on this player? I have read that only the nexus player so far you are able to download the direct tv app from the store to watch live streams. Can someone confirm?

The app is greyed out in the Play store for my Shield. No idea on sideloading or getting it to work, sorry.

Thanks for letting me know this. It's strange that the only android tv player that seems to run this app is the nexus player, but I'm not even 100 percent on that. I'm just trying to get this live stream app to the big screen but didn't realize it was so limited.
Out of curiosity, how many channels on that app (regardless of platform) work without it being on the same LAN as the DTV box?
(2015-08-20, 18:31)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Out of curiosity, how many channels on that app (regardless of platform) work without it being on the same LAN as the DTV box?

I have it but don't use it much, but for live TV all the channels work. My boxes aren't even connected to the network.

However, with that said, they only have 2 versions of the app. One for phones (2 if you count GenieGo) and one for tablets. There is no DirectTV app for Android TV.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-08-20, 11:04)noggin Wrote:
(2015-08-20, 08:14)inestima Wrote: What's everyone's problem with 23.976 being displayed at 24? I can understand 3:2 pulldown on 60hz (trivial), but this is ludicrous.
Lots of us see a frame drop or repeat every 40" or so, which is what you get with mismatched 23.976/24.000 content and refresh. I find it quite annoying and distracting.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm new to kodi and have only used it via wifi so there's occasional skips, would've chalked it up to network hiccups. And I'm using TV speakers so didn't realize the issue is lossy vs lossless, which absolutely has merit. Thanks for the lesson Smile
Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I have read a lot of posts of this forum and, I must say that most of you have done a lot of hard work in reviewing this device. As I am am new to kodi's world I am planning to get a second streaming device. At present I have a fire TV Box with kodi. It's hard to decide between Nvidia shield tv or minix NEO X8H Plus or razor Forge TV or any other high performance device. I will really appreciate any input or advice. Thanks
Shield TV is basically a more powerful Fire TV with Google's Android TV interface vs. Amazon's customized Android interface. If you can afford it, I'd get it over FTV. But, Amazon is rumored to release new Fire TV Stick and box shortly (by the Fall).

Also with Shield TV, nVidia could very well expand codec support (especially HD audio) and possibly 23.976 not too long from now. See this.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Hi @honguy, can you afford to wait? NVIDIA should be releasing their OTA 2.0 in the months ahead. If they do fix 23.976fps output and HD Audio the SATV will arguably become the best Kodi media box at its price point. If they don't then it becomes slightly less appealing...
(2015-08-21, 14:51)hdmkv Wrote: Shield TV is basically a more powerful Fire TV with Google's Android TV interface vs. Amazon's customized Android interface. If you can afford it, I'd get it over FTV. But, Amazon is rumored to release new Fire TV Stick and box shortly (by the Fall).

Also with Shield TV, nVidia could very well expand codec support (especially HD audio) and possibly 23.976 not too long from now. See this.

And how about 3d iso mvc support?
  • 69(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9