• 73(current)
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux) - Thread 2
(2015-08-21, 15:02)Sleuth255 Wrote: Actually, they do have an API. Why is this addon scraping HTML for metadata I wonder? More to follow.

Unless something changed they shut down their API last year.
(2015-08-21, 15:02)Sleuth255 Wrote: <rant>
Netflix really needs to create an API for this sort of thing. That way, plugins can be developed for a variety of platforms and it won't be a "spy vs. spy" scenario where constant work on the plugin is required to keep up with changing HTML. Scraping HTML is almost never a good idea for a variety of reasons....

Netflix shouldn't care at all for metadata requests, and using approved DRM providers as this addon does should cover the legality issues.
</rant>

edit...

Actually, they do have an API. Why is this addon scraping HTML for metadata I wonder? More to follow.

As far as I can tell Netflix discontinued their public API in 2014. So using their API is not an option unless we can get them to care about Kodi.
(2015-08-21, 16:42)squiggs77 Wrote:
Netflix really needs to create an API for this sort of thing. That way, plugins can be developed for a variety of platforms and it won't be a "spy vs. spy" scenario where constant work on the plugin is required to keep up with changing HTML. Scraping HTML is almost never a good idea for a variety of reasons....

Netflix shouldn't care at all for metadata requests, and using approved DRM providers as this addon does should cover the legality issues.
</rant>

edit...

Actually, they do have an API. Why is this addon scraping HTML for metadata I wonder? More to follow.

As far as I can tell Netflix discontinued their public API in 2014. So using their API is not an option unless we can get them to care about Kodi.

There has to be some published interface all those "smart" TVs and set top boxes use it. And it has to be stable, as those devices really never get updates.
(2015-08-21, 17:01)TooManyAntennas Wrote:
(2015-08-21, 16:42)squiggs77 Wrote:

</rant>

edit...

There has to be some published interface all those "smart" TVs and set top boxes use it. And it has to be stable, as those devices really never get updates.

True, but it's not 'public' so we would somehow have to get Netflix to approve of us as a development partner.
Hey Folks,

I'm a newb, sorry. But I've got NetfliXBMC working, been using it on a few different PC's for a week or so (AMAZING!). All of a sudden I've lost "My List" for both movies and TV shows. (I can click into it, but there are no shows or movies nothing). I've tired a few things to try and figure out where the problem is. Netflix (in the browser) still has my list fine. Second, I've used PlayOn/PlayLater and it can access "My List" just fine for TV and Movies. But NetfliXBMC as of yesterday evening can't seem to get any data for My List. (It can browse previously watched "viewing activity" etc in NetfliXBMC). That fact that it's done this on different PC's that aren't on the same network, leads me to believe it's a more serious problem then me just tinkering around. - Anyone else seen this? (I'm in Canada if that makes a difference).

Bobcatt,
(2015-08-21, 17:24)Bobcatt Wrote: Hey Folks,

I'm a newb, sorry. But I've got NetfliXBMC working, been using it on a few different PC's for a week or so (AMAZING!). All of a sudden I've lost "My List" for both movies and TV shows. (I can click into it, but there are no shows or movies nothing). I've tired a few things to try and figure out where the problem is. Netflix (in the browser) still has my list fine. Second, I've used PlayOn/PlayLater and it can access "My List" just fine for TV and Movies. But NetfliXBMC as of yesterday evening can't seem to get any data for My List. (It can browse previously watched "viewing activity" etc in NetfliXBMC). That fact that it's done this on different PC's that aren't on the same network, leads me to believe it's a more serious problem then me just tinkering around. - Anyone else seen this? (I'm in Canada if that makes a difference).

Bobcatt,

Please take a look at the posts on page 72.
(2015-08-21, 17:24)Bobcatt Wrote: Hey Folks,

Bobcatt,

I noticed the same thing too and thought I must have done something. I think there's a limited life for this plugin considering it's not using an official API not to mention the issues with Chrome.
Bummer on the API.... rant valid then.

This is pretty my first experience with python too, but code is code. It doesn't look too difficult from a syntax perspective. Kodi interaction is the bigger thing but there's a pretty good dev wiki and lots of Google hits on this.

I have the same Sept. 25th deadline myself. Very dismayed to see this addon uses HTML scraping for metadata with no better option. I'll look into a fix vs. workaround by scraping the new html response.
Chrome is its own item for sure. On windows, I've used msconfig to remove chrome from the startup list. This solves the "kiosk goes away" issue because Kodi now is insured to start it. Downside is that the initial netflix selection takes longer to start.
Well, as much as I LOVE this add-on and really think the work is great, I'm afraid Netflix (or Google) will break it while I'm working in the field and Wife is not going to be happy. Official API would be REALLY nice.

So the squeaky wheel get the grease. We ALL need to open an request for official API or official support with Netflix. I just did and if enough of us WMC refugees, along with regular users of Kodi, suggest Kodi support, Maybe it will happen. Remember, we are not pirating anything and with tuner support, Kodi is a very valid way to watch OTA and Netflix from one common 10 foot, remote friendly interface. A valid WMC replacer.... Guy I chatted with said he would pass on to correct department. Here is how I did the chat with Netflix:

From eHow: "To reach the Help Center, first log on to Netflix and then mouse over your account name in the upper right-hand corner. A menu appears. Click "Help Center". The Help Center provides links with answers to common questions. You will see categories like "Learn About Netflix", "Manage My Account," "Watching Netflix," and more, but none of the selections will let you make a direct request for a new title. To request a new title you will need to communicate directly with a Netflix representative using a chat session or by calling the customer service number.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_8194260_request-...tflix.html"

Tell them you really would like offical support for Kodi. Even an offical API to program against would be better than nothing, then Netflix wouldn't even have to write it, would they?

Let the complaining to Netflix begin...
Well it looks like the fix for MY LIST is working on a limited basis (editing the defauly.py file and removing the commented line) but there appears to be bigger issues with the recent Netflix API changes.

Can anyone confirm the additions to MY LIST are not showing up (in either Movies or TV Shows). As well - Viewing Activity seems to also be broken as nothing new is showing up (Movies or TV Shows).

Accessing Netflix directly from Chrome and making additions to MY LIST or watching something will show up later in NetfliXBMC -- if KODI is stopped and restarted - but any activity in these two areas (MY LIST and Viewing Activity) inside KODI - NetfliXBMC will not show up.

*** On a separate note can anyone outline for my the advantages of Chrome V43 vs V44 - what I am looking for is smoother playback of Netflix streams in Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (occasional shuddering on screen pans) and I was wondering if V43 is better for this.
Not sure about viewing activity b/c I only checked to see that it was returning data not up-to-date data.

The my list logic does a re-scan each time you choose it so new additions should show up. Checking...

edit:

So, in Kodi, I checked My List under TV Shows. I then added Daredevil to my list using the website. I subsequently exited My List in Kodi, selected My List under TV Shows again, and Daredevil was the first selection shown. Maybe the fact that My List movies and My list TV shows are separate lists in Kodi but combined on the website is causing confusion?
Correct -- My List additions from the website will show up in My List KODI.

Now from within KODI add something new to My List (using the KODI context menu) add see if it shows up in My List KODI - even after a restart of KODI. Next using the website see if the addition made to My List from within KODI shows up in the web My List.
[quote='msmith8228' pid='2086237' dateline='1440177472']
Well it looks like the fix for MY LIST is working on a limited basis (editing the defauly.py file and removing the commented line) but there appears to be bigger issues with the recent Netflix API changes.

Sorry can you elaborate? What exactly needs to be changed?
Please see post 1075 for details as to where to edit the default.py file for the NetfliXBMC addon
  • 73(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux) - Thread 217