Best XBMC Remote for Chromebox
(2015-02-22, 12:57)Topken Wrote: Matt I assume he is talking about using this with the Chromebox http://www.streacom.com/products/flirc-s...-receiver/

yes, I know, and my question still stands. That IR receiver is designed to connect to an internal USB connection and power switch from a standard motherboard (neither of which the ChromeBox has), and to be fitted into the cases which Streacom sells (which, unlike the ChromeBox, have a window for the IR receiver itself).
I use Roomie Remote. It's not IR and doesn't have buttons (except you can use the volume buttons on whatever IOS device you run it with.)

I control everything by network (IP) control ... for me it' much better than IR. I have most of my gear outside the HT so I don't need repeaters for the signal and I can pause the kids movie when it's time for them to come up for dinner and that type thing.

Works with Kodi/OpenElec/Chromebox ... no need for any dongle or anything.

Some may not like using a phone or tablet as a remote. I like using my Phone because it's always with me so it makes a great remote.

-Brian
(2015-02-22, 21:10)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-22, 12:57)Topken Wrote: Matt I assume he is talking about using this with the Chromebox http://www.streacom.com/products/flirc-s...-receiver/

yes, I know, and my question still stands. That IR receiver is designed to connect to an internal USB connection and power switch from a standard motherboard (neither of which the ChromeBox has), and to be fitted into the cases which Streacom sells (which, unlike the ChromeBox, have a window for the IR receiver itself).

That answers my question.. I was wondering if you could get it to work with the CB.
(2014-12-08, 23:29)Rojo Wrote: Hi I have a chromebox and i am currently using a keyboard, so I would like to upgrade to a proper remote control.
Im looking for the best in terms of price and quality. My budget is about €30 max.
I was looking at the xbox one remote http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-On...box+remote
What receiver would I need for this I saw the flirc but its €30 on top of the €20 xbox remote so is a bit out of my range.

The XboxONE remote almost became one of the most perfect remotes.

But it has one fatal and unforgivable flaw, The volume key.

The repeat rate is so slow its useless for that function.

So, what appearsd to be a great remote is actually junk.

Dont waste you money unless you just feel the need to be pissed off.
Can't you just keep pressing the volume up? Or do you have to press several times?

In worst case i could use my TV remote for this matter.
I use my TV remote with a CEC adapter as I like having 1 remote. My previous remote was the Streamzap PC remote which worked well once the keymaps were how I like.
(2015-02-23, 01:48)FishOil Wrote:
(2014-12-08, 23:29)Rojo Wrote: Hi I have a chromebox and i am currently using a keyboard, so I would like to upgrade to a proper remote control.
Im looking for the best in terms of price and quality. My budget is about €30 max.
I was looking at the xbox one remote http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-On...box+remote
What receiver would I need for this I saw the flirc but its €30 on top of the €20 xbox remote so is a bit out of my range.

i have had that remote for going on almost a year now and works fine with my flirc for the living room pc and fine with a no name reciever for my bedroom pc
(2015-02-23, 14:59)pe4nut1989 Wrote:
(2015-02-23, 01:48)FishOil Wrote:

i have had that remote for going on almost a year now and works fine with my flirc for the living room pc and fine with a no name reciever for my bedroom pc

Its quite likely you dont know what you're are missing.

It takes 24 seconds for the volume to change from top to bottom on the Xbox ONE remote. Thats almost a half a minute to change the volume. Thats not even close to "fine" in my book.
Its just over 9 seconds on the XBOX Media Remote & the Direct TV remote I am so fond of.

But its nice that you are happy waiting what most would consider an unreasonable amount of time for the volume to change.
(2015-02-23, 02:00)Belic Wrote: Can't you just keep pressing the volume up?

Yes, You can. The problem is that the repete rate is too slow. But its just as fast (slow) pressing the button multiple times.
(2015-02-24, 21:56)FishOil Wrote:
(2015-02-23, 02:00)Belic Wrote: Can't you just keep pressing the volume up?

Yes, You can. The problem is that the repete rate is too slow. But its just as fast (slow) pressing the button multiple times.

Understood, its a shame since the remote looks and feels perfectly otherwise.
If anyone is still wanting to use this remote and has been put off by the slow volume control I have posted a button modification that will help.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219523
Has anyone got a recommendation for an easy to use properly functioning remote for Chromebox running kodi ? I've read many posts and there seems to be no consensus as to what works the best. Its mainly for my wife as I use yatse so I'm just looking for a minimalist remote without a million keys.
(2015-08-25, 17:39)TDB73 Wrote: Has anyone got a recommendation for an easy to use properly functioning remote for Chromebox running kodi ? I've read many posts and there seems to be no consensus as to what works the best. Its mainly for my wife as I use yatse so I'm just looking for a minimalist remote without a million keys.

single function: PS3 Bluetooth remote
universal: Harmony + MCE receiver
honorable mention: xbox 360 media remote, xbox one media remote + MCE receiver

see the remotes section of the ChromeBox wiki page for specific models etc.

I don't care what anyone says, do not buy the abomination that is a Flirc. The concept is great, the execution is complete crap.
Harmony Smart Control has a really nice uncomplicated handset, and the smart control hub makes it easy to change inputs etc. The remote handset "talks" to the hub over RF so you don't need to point it at your devices. The hub blasts IR signals (or uses Bluetooth or IP) to manage your devices. One button selects and action (e.g. Watch TV, Watch a Movie (on Kodi), Listen to Music etc.) and the rest of the remote buttons control the appropriate device e,g, home cinema amp for volume, kodi for playback functions, sky box for epg navigation etc.

Logitech marketing seems to emphasize the smartphone app, but in reality the handset is the star. Although it seems it may have too few buttons, you can assign an action for short and long press if required. For example, I have long press on "Info" button displaying codec information For the chromebox, you'd be best using with an MCE receiver (Maplin's remote works great) or it can operate as a bluetooth PS3 remote.

Easily one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever bought and makes operating a complex a/v system a breeze for anybody.

the only real downsides to the smart control/hub are:

- only 3 activity buttons on the remote
- no way to determine current remote activity/status
- no "help" button like older harmony remotes
- setup can be needlessly complicated/frustrating if used to older Harmony remotes/software
- BT connection seems less reliable than it should be

otherwise it works pretty well

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best XBMC Remote for Chromebox0