v15 How to organize/group movie collections?
Hi Forum,

I am using the conflunce skin.
My movies are physically located in two folders:
-Kids
-Others

The kids folder ofcourse only have cartoons and stuff whereas the "other" folder holds the movies I like to watch.

In order for the movies to be accessible in kodi I would need to create two movie sources. However the big disadvantage is that when going to the movies section in kodi movies from those two sources are mixed.
This means that all movies despite their source are shown in the same view.

I have read about different kinds of workaround including changing skin etc - but I haven't been able to find a good solution yet. As I think that others must face the same challenge maybe a good solution exist?

Please let me know if You have any thoughts or solutions to that.

BR Torben
I would create a new "Kids" profile and add only the "Kids"-folder as a source. Then I would password protect the "master" profile which contain all movies. Different profiles have different databases. If you have different profiles then, the databases are seperated and the kids can only access the "other" movies if they would add this folder as a source for themself.
Hi there - thanks for replying.

That sounds like a possibility. But it leads to some further questions.
When first moving to kodi I created a MySql database on my synology nas for the kids movies. This works well and I am using the advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml files to deploy to my other kodi clients.

If I were to use profiles what would I need to do regardning the MySql database? Would I need to create a new database for my own movies and how would I do that. If Yes, How would I map a user profile to a MySql database?
Maybe I am making this more complicated than it really should be?
Do you want to password protect or hide your 'other' folder?
If that's not important to you then it's very straightforward - add 'others' to your library (ie set content / scan), set up a playlist pointing to 'kids' and a playlist pointing to 'others' and use a confluence mod (eg CCM / Xconfluence) that allows you to stick playlists on the home screen. Or edit some .xml's in confluence if you want to do it the hard way.

That's more or less what I do (with a lot more than 2 playlists!). It would be easy enough to hide 'others' if you wanted to - just don't link to it on the home screen and access via videos / playlists for example. Obviously whether that's enough depends how determined / knowledgeable / naughty (or not) your kids are. Password protecting (other than by profiles) may be possible, but it's not something I've looked at.
I don't need password protection I simply need the content from those two folders to be in two separate views/groups.
I have had a look at playlists, but as far as I can se movies are listed in a list where one has to be able to read. My kids haven't learned to read yet. They have to able to select movies from eg. the poster art

The profile option sounds to be the best option for me - I just need to know how to set it up in the MySql database?

I am comfortable editing xml files - I just need to know which ones and what to add. I don't want to shift skin because I'm using features in confluence that only confluence supports.
If you set up a video playlist and go into it it's indistinguishable from the main movies list. You have exactly the same options - posters / fanart etc.

Edit: curious as to what features confluence supports that confluence mods don't. I can't think of any...
Another way is to make both of the sources into favourites (via their context menus) and then access them individually via that.

Or to extend it and use a different skin, and then include those favourites on the menu bar and hide the movies one completely. That way you will have separate menu entries, one for each set. Or for skins that support it, you can do a similar trick with video nodes instead of favourites, filtered by file location.

It's how I do it (using Amber skin and favourites, as it doesn't yet support nodes) and it works fine.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-10-02, 15:51)DarrenHill Wrote: Another way is to make both of the sources into favourites (via their context menus) and then access them individually via that.

Or to extend it and use a different skin, and then include those favourites on the menu bar and hide the movies one completely. That way you will have separate menu entries, one for each set. Or for skins that support it, you can do a similar trick with video nodes instead of favourites, filtered by file location.

It's how I do it (using Amber skin and favourites, as it doesn't yet support nodes) and it works fine.
This is probably me being dim, but would using favourites / video nodes give you the library views or file views?
I think it's library view. Has all the meta-data, fan art and suchlike anyway.

If I remember correctly the standard Movies entry is just a specific example of a node.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Your situation sounds exactly like mine : young kids who cant read yet (but now watch a lot of films/tv), but I want to set it up so they could easily select something without easily selecting something they shouldnt. I also have two folders exactly like you do.
I personally use the amber skin because it is quite clean and quite configurable.
You can set up a 2nd profile in the kodi settings menu. The problem at the moment is they cant read, so they dont know how to actually get into this profile. But I see in future if I move this HTPC into a "den" room, it would only have the kid's profile accessible.

With the amber skin, you can add any favourite item to the home menu. So in the kids profile there are only 6 selectible items:
1. Kids films
2. Kids Tv Shows
3. Prime Tv shows (straight to the "specially for kids" section)
4. Prime Movies (again, "specially for kids section")
5. Settings (cannot be removed)
6. Exit (only option is switch user - again item cannot be removed)

On the movies home screen the home shelf just displays a random selection of films.

Because switching profiles is a bit of a chore atm because they dont really know how to drive kodi, I have set up the main profile with separate sections:
I have added all movies to the main database, then added the "animation" genre to favourites.
From here, ive added "animation" as a home screen item that jumps straight to the animated films. I also have a folder of images from the films that are set as the background to this home menu item (they are all 1080p backgrounds pulled off the net, and the amber skin can be set to just pick randomly from the selection). When you're in the animation section, it is set to be viewed as a poster wall. The normal movies folder is a different view with film descriptions etc.

I have also added the steam add-on (with a nice background) to the home screen (via favouriting the add-on) because the elder one likes to play sonic racing (you can stream games from a proper gaming PC very well).

I really like Amber, because it is so clean and the ability to add/remove practically anything from the home screen.

Please feel free to contact me about any more specifics about my setup.
(2015-10-02, 16:04)DarrenHill Wrote: I think it's library view. Has all the meta-data, fan art and suchlike anyway.

If I remember correctly the standard Movies entry is just a specific example of a node.
That sounds right - I was thinking more of the favourites tbh.
I don't think that would work for me, as most of my playlists are combinations of different folders, but for the op it would.
Saying that, what he wants sounds exactly like playlists to me - using multiple profiles and multiple mysql DBs just sounds like a recipe for another help thread.
You could probably add the playlists as favourites and do it the same way.

Nodes would be better, but like skydivertricky above I also use Amber, which doesn't support them yet. In any case there are multiple ways to do the request I would say, all very much equally usable depending on exact requirements and personal preferences. Would agree that multiple MySQL's are a recipe for issues, and I find profiles awkward anyway (only use them on my tablet so I can separate databases for home with shared MySQL and travelling/offline with local onboard normal db.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-10-02, 14:23)tomph Wrote: I am comfortable editing xml files - I just need to know which ones and what to add. I don't want to shift skin because I'm using features in confluence that only confluence supports.

Sorry I didnt see this line - I guess Amber not an option for you.
What I do like about amber is the ability to customise it all within Kodi. For confluence, I think you need to edit the xml files:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Edit_the_ho...skin_files
(2015-10-02, 14:14)trogggy Wrote: If that's not important to you then it's very straightforward - add 'others' to your library (ie set content / scan), set up a playlist pointing to 'kids' and a playlist pointing to 'others' and use a confluence mod (eg CCM / Xconfluence) that allows you to stick playlists on the home screen. Or edit some .xml's in confluence if you want to do it the hard way.

A confluence mod is a new phrase in my vocabluary. Could you explain what that is? I guess it would be somekind of variant of the original?
Where do I get these "mods" - when going into appearence and browse for skins none of the mentioned mods are foundHuh
(2015-10-02, 14:36)trogggy Wrote: Edit: curious as to what features confluence supports that confluence mods don't. I can't think of any...

I read something about Confluence being the only skin so far that supports recurring timers in the TV section.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to organize/group movie collections?0