Best kodi box
I know this has been beat to death but lots of old info and mixed reviews, what's the best affordable box to run kodi? Don't need Netflix just looking to run kodi. Currently were running Pivos xs on Linux but looking for something better as these are now few year old technology. With all the cheap junk out there what are you guys using for a decent setup?

I've seen recommendations on mxq, pi2, any thoughts or better info is appreciated thank you
The MXIII is pretty good, can be found for under $60:

http://www.everbuying.net/product1080094.html
http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_230335.html
don't but unsupported junk like that one.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I wouldn't buy an mx111 what do you recommend martijn?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
If Android, have a look through this thread that attempts to sort the decent AMLogic devices from the Android junk.
Stay away from Allwinner, Rockchip is not that well supported either.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229161

OpenELEC is far far better if just running Kodi. Lightweight and reasonably snappy.
Intel gear like the Chromebox or the new 4K HEVC capable Braswell boxes work very well with OpenELEC.

For that at low cost the RPi2 still rules the roost for support and features.
The ODROID C1+ is faster, not quite as well supported but does 1080p HEVC decoding. Still works very well tho.
See the signature below for a quick comparison:
V
V

i've got cyclone mini pc, rpi1, rpi2, cyclone x4, fire tv.

various wireless keyboards and mice, all work

sumvision mini pc:- only had it a week, problem with divx and 5.1, AV out of sync.picture slideshow screen saver, no problems. advantage with being able to map the NAS. stable. watchdog became a problem, when running on all the units, maybe down to the NAS. overall GOOD.

rpi1:- not used anymore. ran openelec and raspbmc. slow but stable. overall OK

rpi2:- have used openelec, but now using osmc. stable. picture slideshow screen saver, some photos not showing correct. problem with tvheadend backend with 32gb sd card, but ok with 8gb. overall GOOD

cyclone x4:- not as stable as all the above. same problem with picture slideshow screen saver (rpi2). also used it for the web, very slow. overall OK

fire tv:- not used anymore. unstable. have to sideload kodi in. kodi would disapear, so would need to sideload again. remote feels good in the hand. overall for what you pay get a mini pc
Subscribed.....
Hi folks,
just want to jump into the thread with a question. Newbie question Smile
I have several Toshiba 1 TB external discs, normal LED TV with Chromecast, an Android tablet with Kodi. For know it is complicated to view the content of the external HD - attache them to my home PC and view the movies via library sharing with my tablet streamed to my TV by BubbleUPnP to Chromecast.
So, can those external Toshiba HDs be attached to a Kodi Box and and be played and do they have wifi integrated to remote control the Kodi on the Kodibox?
Or do you suggest an other solution?
Going through this same decision myself. I'm planning on buying the Nvidia Shield TV. Seems very powerful, and will run other streaming apps like Netflix, Youtube, etc.
Yes looking at all the info I like that box little pricey but should do the trick, for An entry 70-100 box it's looking like the pi2 is hard to beat?? Anyone have any other suppositions as the link provided has tones of info lots geared at the best all around I'm just looking for kodi
It really depends what codecs you plan on playing too:
- AVC / H264 ?
- VC-1 ?
- mpeg 2 .vob DVD Rips ?
- HEVC ?
- Deinterlacing ?

Its a bit more complicated than you think.
As an example, you would not get a nVIDIA Shield if you planned on watching interlaced TV through it as it uses very basic Blurry Bob deinterlacing. The cheap RPi2 or C1+ would cream it for deinterlacing picture quality.

I just want to run kodi currently have Pivos xs on Linux is the pi2 any better?
Whats wrong with the Pivos ?

Speed ?
Codec issues ?
WiFi ?
Price ?

Neglecting to give any detail whatsoever and we will just say "Get a Chromebox" as its faster than a RPi2.

Pivos is slow, wifi, always having to reload both boxes audio always out of sync, my windows kodi has no issues both Pivos do tho

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best kodi box0