Most lightweight linux dist for Kodi
Hi!
I decided to install Kodi on my old PC (Dual core Pentium 4, 1.5GB RAM) using OpenELEC. Everything went fine and I successfully installed the 32bit version, but then I realized it comes with Kodi 14.2. When I tried to install the 64 bit OpenELEC the computer refused to boot from my USB stick so I guess it means my hardware doesn't support 64 bit.
So, I'm looking for a lightweight Linux distro to install Kodi on. What do you recommend me?
I read a bit about Kodibuntu but I thing Ubuntu is not lightweight enough.
Currently I think that Arch is the best one for my purpose.
Thanks
Openelec 6 comes with kodi 15.2
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry yeah just realised they don't do 32 bit any more. Try lubuntu.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-11-14, 13:40)nickr Wrote: Sorry yeah just realised they don't do 32 bit any more. Try lubuntu.

Thanks, I'll try it out. Any more suggestions?
BTW, found this page in ArchWiki. Very helpful info.
Arch is very lightweight. Just install the base group (you can cherry pick there) and the kodi package.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Just check, though - what processor? How old?

P4s supported 64-bit instructions over 10 years ago. That's not to say that you have a CPU that will work, but it's worth double-checking that it's your CPU that's at fault, not your GPU (whatever that may be).
(2015-11-14, 17:39)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Just check, though - what processor? How old?

P4s supported 64-bit instructions over 10 years ago. That's not to say that you have a CPU that will work, but it's worth double-checking that it's your CPU that's at fault, not your GPU (whatever that may be).

Actually, I booted the Arch image, and there was a utility that displays some info about the machine. It shows that the processor do support 64bit OSes. When I booted to Arch Live 64bit it booted perfectly. I also realized it's not a dual core CPU Sad .
So, I guess it's problem with this specific OpenELEC image.
Do you have any idea why the 64bit OpenELEC refuses to boot? (I'm using USB3.0 SanDisk Extreme to boot, so it's not a problem with the USB stick I guess)

Here's the CPU info, by the way:
Thanks guys Smile
When you say 'refuses to boot' what exactly happens?

Also what is your video card - boot arch, run lspci and post the results.
My hunch is GPU as well. As well as getting that identified, then, can you say which version of OE you're using (trying to use Sad )? There were traditionally different versions for different platforms... most of those have been rolled together, but there are still some variations on the theme.

All failing that, if you don't fancy sticking with Arch (which is about as light as it gets), Lubuntu or Xubuntu are good choices and will get out of the way quickly enough to hand over to Kodi. An SSD drive might help as well, although I don't know if they come in IDE versions or whether the interface would throttle the throughput to the point where you lose any difference. At that point, you're looking at internal interface cards to see if you can speed things up, and the money's dribbling out of the door...

So... summary...

1. What version of OE are you trying (precise download, please)
2. What happens when you try to boot from it (messages/description)
3. What graphics card do you have
If the OP is running an nVidia GPU of a slightly older vintage - then the nVidia Legacy Build might be a better solution? (AIUI older nVidia cards aren't supported by the current nVidia drivers in the Generic 64 bit build?)
As far as I can tell (your info is not very specific concerning your processor), most Pentium 4 processors supported only 32 bit instructions set.

Example: http://ark.intel.com/products/27463/Inte...00-MHz-FSB

But some of the newer ones did support 64 bit instructions: http://ark.intel.com/products/27478/Inte...00-MHz-FSB

Both are 3.00 GHz, but only one supports 64 bit. I guess your first task is to find out exactly the model of processor you have installed.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2015-11-15, 09:43)nickr Wrote: When you say 'refuses to boot' what exactly happens?

1. It shows a blinking underscore for about 10 or 20 seconds, and then just boots from the HDD (OE 32bit)/
2. Here are the results for the lspci command:

(2015-11-15, 13:05)Prof Yaffle Wrote: My hunch is GPU as well. As well as getting that identified, then, can you say which version of OE you're using (trying to use Sad )? There were traditionally different versions for different platforms... most of those have been rolled together, but there are still some variations on the theme.

All failing that, if you don't fancy sticking with Arch (which is about as light as it gets), Lubuntu or Xubuntu are good choices and will get out of the way quickly enough to hand over to Kodi. An SSD drive might help as well, although I don't know if they come in IDE versions or whether the interface would throttle the throughput to the point where you lose any difference. At that point, you're looking at internal interface cards to see if you can speed things up, and the money's dribbling out of the door...

So... summary...

1. OE 6.0, 64bit (Generic build)
2. As I mentioned above, when I boot from the 64bit image it do nothing for a couple of seconds and then boot[/align]

(2015-11-15, 16:35)ashlar Wrote: As far as I can tell (your info is not very specific concerning your processor), most Pentium 4 processors supported only 32 bit instructions set.

But some of the newer ones did support 64 bit instructions: http://ark.intel.com/products/27478/Inte...00-MHz-FSB

Both are 3.00 GHz, but only one supports 64 bit. I guess your first task is to find out exactly the model of processor you have installed.
(2015-11-15, 09:43)nickr Wrote: When you say 'refuses to boot' what exactly happens?

1. It shows a blinking underscore for about 10 or 20 seconds, and then just boots from the HDD (OE 32bit)/
2. The results of lspci are at the end of the comment.

(2015-11-15, 13:05)Prof Yaffle Wrote: My hunch is GPU as well. As well as getting that identified, then, can you say which version of OE you're using (trying to use Sad )? There were traditionally different versions for different platforms... most of those have been rolled together, but there are still some variations on the theme.

So... summary...

1. OE 6.0, 64bit (Generic build)
2. As I mentioned above, when I boot from the 64bit image it do nothing for a couple of seconds and then boot from the HDD to the 32bit OpenELEC I already installed.
3. Seems like an Intel 82915g/gv/9106

(2015-11-15, 16:35)ashlar Wrote: As far as I can tell (your info is not very specific concerning your processor), most Pentium 4 processors supported only 32 bit instructions set.

I tried all kind of commands in the shell but couldn't get the exact model. However, it also written here that the processor supports 64bit (See the attached photo)..
----
Thanks everyone for your help, really appreciate that.. Smile
---
Here's a photo of all the commands I ran:
From that Intel 82915g/gv/9106 I think that means you are running Intel GMA900 graphics. That might help others here assist you.
MMmm. Beyond my expertise, sadly.

I think you've got an Intel 915G from the codes above: http://ark.intel.com/products/27733/Inte...Controller

... which means it should be supported by OE: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...package.mk. The fact you can run the 32-bit version supports that conclusion IMO.

Everything you've posted suggests that a 64-bit, Generic OE build should work fine, then.

... so I'm clearly missing something (e.g. whether there is a 64-bit, OpenGL driver for that chipset, or something like that).

The only other thing I can think of is this... if it tries to boot, then goes over to the hard disc, then that suggests that it's never actually entering the boot code off the flash disc. Unless it's rebooting, I've never seen a PC get halfway through a failed boot, give up and try a different device. That suggests that it's never actually getting to boot from flash... it's instead asking it to boot, waiting, timing out and moving to the next device. That in turn suggests a hardware error, or an image error so the device isn't bootable (as opposed to booting but corrupted and dying on the way). I can't even blame driver support at that point, as you're probably not getting that far.

Try a different card, re-burn it with a new download?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most lightweight linux dist for Kodi0