• 379(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Without a calibrated display, the pq improvements on real content are unnoticeable for the vast majority. If you are happy with Kodibuntu, I would just keep using this until ubuntu/kodibuntu 16.04 lands. At that time Kodi 17 should be in the alpha/beta stages. BBB @4k/60fps plays fine here. Memory usage is a non issue as all chromeboxes have more than enough RAM. There's no "need" to use the egl build/OE just for the sake of it, *if* Kodibuntu works fine for you.
Not at all ...

Standard method does scale from limited to range to full range without dithering ... you will see that banding even as non videophile user ...
On default version: Chromebox cannot play 4k@60p while it can with the special version, including hq scaling. Even 4k@30p would not work on the chromebox before that.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
See yourself: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2107946

Default OpenELEC:

EGL build:

So decide yourself :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yes, if you look closely at a still picture with gandalf in a cave holding a torch, you might notice a little banding if you compare it with native output, but we're splitting hairs here. Last time I checked BBB @4k/60fps worked fine on my celeron Chromebox. I'll check it again later just to be sure my memory haven't failed me.

Please understand me correctly, EGL is awesome and I'm looking forward to 16.04 and Kodi 17 when everything should be in place in regards to both Linux/Kodi... with Kaby Lake Nucs/Chromeboxes and hopefully support for 10bit+ processing/output support for UHD/HDR coming in at a later date for Linux/Intel/Kodi and..and..andWink But the point is that except for a little banding (and lack of wtw), that in my opinion isn't really that noticable for most people, you don't need to install OE/EGl just for the sake of it, if everything already works fine for you.

But to be specific on this case: I've seen pettergulbraa having various issues with Kodibuntu on the forum that he couldn't get to the bottom of. (Probably more than a few cases since I remember the name) Maybe he would be better off with OE after all.
(2015-11-22, 13:45)fritsch Wrote: See yourself: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2107946

Default OpenELEC:

EGL build:

So decide yourself :-)

Quote: the pq improvements on real content
Wink
(2015-11-22, 14:16)Soli Wrote: Yes, if you look closely at a still picture with gandalf in a cave holding a torch, you might notice a little banding if you compare it with native output, but we're splitting hairs here. Last time I checked BBB @4k/60fps worked fine on my celeron Chromebox. I'll check it again later just to be sure my memory haven't failed me.
See the above images - if you need to be gandalf in a cave to see that difference :-) it is fully clear to me why you like AMLogic that much :-)

Quote:Please understand me correctly, EGL is awesome and I'm looking forward to 16.04 and Kodi 17 when everything should be in place in regards to both Linux/Kodi... with Kaby Lake Nucs/Chromeboxes and hopefully support for 10bit+ processing/output support for UHD/HDR coming in at a later date for Linux/Intel/Kodi and..and..andWink But the point is that except for a little banding (and lack of wtw), that in my opinion isn't really that noticable for most people, you don't need to install OE/EGl just for the sake of it, if everything already works fine for you.
On small form factor devices heat is an important issue. If you can half GPU bandwidth per frame - the temperature will go down a lot.

Quote:But to be specific on this case: I've seen pettergulbraa having various issues with Kodibuntu on the forum that he couldn't get to the bottom of. (Probably more than a few cases since I remember håthe nickname) Maybe he would be better off with OE after all.

As OE upstream does not work with users on bugs at all - I am not sure if he finds help if something does not work.
Nice twisting of words with the Gandalf example :-)
Technological and effiency advances are welcome. But even today, temperature when playing videos are not really an issue. What IS an issue is that idle CPU consumption with a simple animated background is about 50% on avg. on one core (Arctic Zephyr skin), which makes the CPU fan kick in on medium speeds when you are doing absolutely nothing.

I even tried to clone my chromebox disk to an old mac mini 2006 with core2duo, and it's idle CPU usage was nowhere the same. (Gma950 gpu) Is this going to be resolved with EGL?

Anyways, a bit OT now.. Maybe we should get back on trackWink
If you're comfortable in linux, setting up PPAs, etc, use the EGL build. It's trivial to switch back and forth.

If you're not comfortable in linux, you should probably be running OpenELEC anyway.

Also for those keeping track, the newest Ubuntu kernel, 4.2.0-18, still kernel panics on boot. Stick with the 4.3.0 mainline.
what about sandy bridge cpus?
ive gotXE300M22 stumpy as i see i cant install open elec or anything else if i dont install firmware so who can help me? please
(2015-11-22, 21:21)alioop Wrote: what about sandy bridge cpus?
ive gotXE300M22 stumpy as i see i cant install open elec or anything else if i dont install firmware so who can help me? please
What exactly is your question/problem? Your sandy bridge Chromebox is supported by my script/firmware in standalone mode. After flashing the firmware, you can run the Intel-EGL build of OpenELEC just like everyone else here
(2015-11-22, 12:45)nickr Wrote: No because his code is better than mainline.

If that is better than mainline, then that should be the install to go for?

(2015-11-22, 14:16)Soli Wrote: But to be specific on this case: I've seen pettergulbraa having various issues with Kodibuntu on the forum that he couldn't get to the bottom of. (Probably more than a few cases since I remember the name) Maybe he would be better off with OE after all.

It has being some cases yes :-)
Main problem for me, is the lagging at panning pictures. And that I don`t have passthrough sound now.

(2015-11-22, 14:19)fritsch Wrote: As OE upstream does not work with users on bugs at all - I am not sure if he finds help if something does not work.

Maybe I misunderstand now (not that good in English), do you mean that OE i not that supported like KodiBuntu?

(2015-11-22, 19:47)rodalpho Wrote: If you're comfortable in linux, setting up PPAs, etc, use the EGL build. It's trivial to switch back and forth.

If you're not comfortable in linux, you should probably be running OpenELEC anyway.

Also for those keeping track, the newest Ubuntu kernel, 4.2.0-18, still kernel panics on boot. Stick with the 4.3.0 mainline.

I`m not that good in Linux. PPA?
So as you can see, I`m not good in Linux, mainly used Linux, the little I have used it this past Year (I think), is to try it for the Kodi sake and to
have a web browser in Kodi. :-)
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
(2015-11-22, 21:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-11-22, 21:21)alioop Wrote: what about sandy bridge cpus?
What exactly is your question/problem? Your sandy bridge Chromebox is supported by my script/firmware in standalone mode. After flashing the firmware, you can run the Intel-EGL build of OpenELEC just like everyone else here

what do i need to do with the jumper? do i need to find an old jumper to place inside? or i can just go ahead and flash the firmware with only developer mode?
lets say, im on my box and im tyiping "chronos" what now?
this is what i have:

ok so im dont with installing the firmware (stanalone) but now when im going to boot i dont have the option to click ESC it says "the device you inserted does not contain Chrome OS.Try another? "
i guess thats becuase i need to 'Disable Firmware Write Protect' but how do i do thatHuh i know where but i dont know how
(2015-11-22, 21:34)pettergulbra Wrote: If that is better than mainline, then that should be the install to go for?

yes, that's what's recommended on the wiki, for good reason.

Quote:Maybe I misunderstand now (not that good in English), do you mean that OE i not that supported like KodiBuntu?

he means that you'll get better support for the OE EGL builds than the mainline builds (because he is supporting them)

Quote:I`m not that good in Linux. PPA?
So as you can see, I`m not good in Linux, mainly used Linux, the little I have used it this past Year (I think), is to try it for the Kodi sake and to have a web browser in Kodi. :-)

PPA = ubuntu software "source." Don't worry, just use the EGL OpenELEC builds.

(2015-11-22, 21:42)alioop Wrote: what do i need to do with the jumper? do i need to find an old jumper to place inside? or i can just go ahead and flash the firmware with only developer mode?

you need to bridge the jumper pins somehow, either with a jumper cap, or a cut-down paperclip, etc. You can't flash the firmware or do anything else until you disable the firmware write-protect via the jumper.

(2015-11-22, 23:15)alioop Wrote: ok so im dont with installing the firmware (stanalone) but now when im going to boot i dont have the option to click ESC it says "the device you inserted does not contain Chrome OS.Try another? "
i guess thats becuase i need to 'Disable Firmware Write Protect' but how do i do thatHuh i know where but i dont know how

you didn't flash the firmware - the script doesn't let you if WP is enabled - which is why you're still getting the ChromeOS recovery boot screen.
(2015-10-31, 21:30)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-10-31, 12:27)fishypops Wrote: Hi Matt,
I will do whichever you recommend. This is to be a dedicated kodi box.

shoot me a PM / hit me up on google hangouts or IRC. Want to get some more info before advising you to move forward and/or making any adjustments to the script.

Seems I've made this same mistake. Sad. Any chance of a script update? looking to install openelec standalone.

Many thanks
  • 379(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37