• 40(current)
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
8 bit only in hardware ... to my knowledge the cable companies will send 3840x2160 @ 50p 10 bit.

The SKL has the very same decoder the Braswell has concerning HEVC.

See this table: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/p...vol-1.html (Page 32).

UHD Bluray standard: http://www.kitguru.net/components/optica...ay-season/ It is obviously clear that the SKL NUCs cannot output 4k@60p at all ... which was discussed before ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-19, 08:54)fritsch Wrote: UHD Bluray standard: http://www.kitguru.net/components/optica...ay-season/ It is obviously clear that the SKL NUCs cannot output 4k@60p at all ... which was discussed before ...

Do you mean over HDMI - or are you saying no Displayport support either for 2160/50 and 59.94p?
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...i5syh.html

It has Mini Display Port 1.2 -> 4k@60p is possible. But obviously not via HDMI - as it is hdmi 1.4b only ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
And the point I wanted to make: It is too slow to decode 4k@60p hevc 10 bit content ... according the benchmarks I linked one page back - it m might be able to do 4k@24p hevc 10 bit ... with full load. Therefore getting hot, loud and so on ...

I see no reason in buying this hardware now - as it is not future proof. Better invest in a 150 dollar braswell and get a "new braswell" in ~ 1 year. And save 100 dollars in sum :-) (memory / ssd not calculated).
Yep - and good luck trying to find a DP 1.2-> HDMI 2.0 adaptor that isn't vapourware.

Looks like we may have to wait a bit longer for an HDMI 2.0 device with 2160/50p HEVC at 10 bit decode other than nVidia Shield? (Shield is 10 bit?) AIUI the only other solution would be a new nVidia GPU in an x86 HTPC?

Personally I'm happy to wait until services start and we have newer platforms with lower cost support. I wouldn't delay a purchase now to wait for HEVC 2160/60p 10bit support either.
Bring on the Kabylake Chromebox!
I have just taken delivery of my NUC 5i5RYH and am getting juddering video replay much worse than on my previous Rockchip CS918ii box.

This is extremely troubling in view of what I paid for the NUC. Obviously I have not got it set up right.

In the Android settings the display refresh rate could be set to Auto but this is not possible in the Intel 6000 graphics, where there is a choice ranging from 23p to 60i. What do I look for in order to make the right choice?

Also I just have a simple Bose Solo sound box so could someone confirm that the settings in Fritsch's post no. 446 would be the ones I need?

At the moment I am seriously disappointed and any assistance would be gratefully received.
(2015-11-23, 22:18)JNRW Wrote: I have just taken delivery of my NUC 5i5RYH and am getting juddering video replay much worse than on my previous Rockchip CS918ii box.

This is extremely troubling in view of what I paid for the NUC. Obviously I have not got it set up right.

In the Android settings the display refresh rate could be set to Auto but this is not possible in the Intel 6000 graphics, where there is a choice ranging from 23p to 60i. What do I look for in order to make the right choice?

Also I just have a simple Bose Solo sound box so could someone confirm that the settings in Fritsch's post no. 446 would be the ones I need?

At the moment I am seriously disappointed and any assistance would be gratefully received.

What operating system ?
How much memory ?
Hard drive or flash drive ?
Local or networked media ?
Wired or Wireless ?
All video or just some ?
What are "Android settings" ?
Debug Log will tell
(2015-11-24, 02:39)blueribb Wrote:
(2015-11-23, 22:18)JNRW Wrote: I have just taken delivery of my NUC 5i5RYH and am getting juddering video replay much worse than on my previous Rockchip CS918ii box.

What operating system ?
How much memory ?
Wired or Wireless ?
All video or just some ?

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
8GB
120GB M.2 SSD
LAN
Wired
Just some
The settings in the Android OS 4.4.2 of the Rockchip box. The display setting allowed me to set the refresh rate to Auto.

Since I posted I have installed Intel's Driver Update Utility and it showed 9 driver updates all of which I successfully downloaded but only 3 of which installed. The other 6 just keep failing. God knows why. So, I am going to upgrade to Windows 10 and try again with the driver updates.

A significant improvement was removing the Display Port to HDMI adaptor I had shipped with the unit. I have gone back to the more conventional mini-HDMI to HDMI. I was expecting great things with using the DP but it is poor. I shall buy a good quality cable to ensure the best possible transfer of information.

In my mind the NUC is not communicating with my Samsung TV properly and I just don't understand how I choose the refresh rate in the Intel graphics settings. What is the difference between i and p in performance terms? When I choose various streams in the top left of the TV screen I see 1920 X 1080 @ 24 or 50 or 60 Hz so which refresh rate do I choose to cover all bases? The Sync settings in Kodi confuse me as well and there has been enough put on the forums for me to learn, but it hasn't happened yet.

I have to say though the NUC is a lovely piece of kit, neat, well made, unbelievably fast, silent in operation. The fault lies, I believe, entirely in my current inability to set it up properly. I thought it was just a plug and play operation but obviously not.

I shall try the above and see if there is any improvement. As ever my grateful thanks to you for wishing to help.
Update and success!

I have not yet been able to do any of the above tasks but have been experimenting with different settings.

The one which has done the trick is in System-Settings > Video output.

Before I had "Use fullscreen window" enabled. By disabling this the whole experience has been transformed, utterly transformed. There is now no juddering, stuttering, hiccups, nothing (at least not until the next time).

I am now one happy bunny. Mind you, I still don't know the difference between i and p in refresh rates nor which refresh rate to choose.
I have a Intel NUC5i5RYH (Intel Core i5-5250U). When I play a 2160p movie with latest Kodi Krypton the movie is shown on the top left quarter of the screen only (25% of the picture).The projector Sony VW-500 changes the reolution to 2160 automatically.

With Jarvis the movie is displayed perfectly.

DIsabling DXVA2 solves the problem. So here we have a bug! Who else has this problem?
Look here:
http://www.monitorizo.com/intel-nuc-nuc6...b018nsapim

(2015-11-24, 10:05)JNRW Wrote:
(2015-11-24, 02:39)blueribb Wrote:

What operating system ?
How much memory ?
Wired or Wireless ?
All video or just some ?

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
8GB
120GB M.2 SSD
LAN
Wired
Just some
The settings in the Android OS 4.4.2 of the Rockchip box. The display setting allowed me to set the refresh rate to Auto.

Since I posted I have installed Intel's Driver Update Utility and it showed 9 driver updates all of which I successfully downloaded but only 3 of which installed. The other 6 just keep failing. God knows why. So, I am going to upgrade to Windows 10 and try again with the driver updates.

A significant improvement was removing the Display Port to HDMI adaptor I had shipped with the unit. I have gone back to the more conventional mini-HDMI to HDMI. I was expecting great things with using the DP but it is poor. I shall buy a good quality cable to ensure the best possible transfer of information.

In my mind the NUC is not communicating with my Samsung TV properly and I just don't understand how I choose the refresh rate in the Intel graphics settings. What is the difference between i and p in performance terms? When I choose various streams in the top left of the TV screen I see 1920 X 1080 @ 24 or 50 or 60 Hz so which refresh rate do I choose to cover all bases? The Sync settings in Kodi confuse me as well and there has been enough put on the forums for me to learn, but it hasn't happened yet.

I have to say though the NUC is a lovely piece of kit, neat, well made, unbelievably fast, silent in operation. The fault lies, I believe, entirely in my current inability to set it up properly. I thought it was just a plug and play operation but obviously not.

I shall try the above and see if there is any improvement. As ever my grateful thanks to you for wishing to help.
The latest video driver from Intel supports H265 HW acceleration now. But when I play H265 4k movies with the latest Kodi 17 build the NUC freezes completly and I need to turn off the NUC5i5RYH. When I turn off the DXVA2 acceleration in Kodi the movie plays, but the CPU load is 100% and the movie isn't smooth.

Is H265 HW acceleration not supported in Kodi?
Any ideas on a fanless case for a NUC5i5RYH?

Needs to have IR at the front
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6