• 32(current)
ASRock Beebox (Braswell)
Been running the Beebox 3150 for a few weeks now & after getting it settled in I feel comfortable now sharing my own personal observations. Be aware I prefer to use these boxes as stand-alone Kodi devices.

I think for best results, install OpenElec & be done with it. If the best video quality from an Intel HW perspective is your goal, boot it to OE 6 official & then upgrade to whatever version EGL build suits your needs. Personally I use 6.0.95 fritsch. It's a 15.2 final based build & it's quite stable, no passthru issues & runs the skins I use just fine (Aeon 5 & 6). I find the video picture quality to be a shade better than my Chromebox...from my perspective, there's a little more pop & depth to the image. Sources are mostly 1080p full quality MKV rips w/ full quality HD audio, but some 4K & HEVC test files, DVD rips, & 1080p video recordings of my band in MP4.

From a hardware perspective you really don't need more than 2 x 2 GB for memory under OE. Save yourself some $$$ on the memory side & put it towards an mSATA drive instead. I put in a Samsung 120GB mSATA drive, for a couple of reasons...from my trial & error, Kodi ran snappier & the system was more stable as opposed to using a 2.5" drive (had a few reboot issues that went away when I switched to mSATA). Also, the sata cable arrangement for the box is a pretty poor design, it's a tight fit & that connector is doomed for failure IMHO. Air flow is better without it as well. Asrock does include that teeny little screw for mounting the mSATA drive (thank you).

I also recommend that when you connect it to your AVR>>>HDTV monitor, select the source first then power up the box. Sometimes if I let it boot from power off with my AVR switched to another source, I got no video output, requiring a reboot.

I think Windows 10 will run just fine on this box IF you set your expectations accordingly. It won't be a super powered gaming or multi tasking machine. You won't be getting the best PQ available from the HW using Kodi w/ Windows. It should run Netflix, VUDU & all that other stuff just fine. A nice touch is that Microsoft Edge has HEVC HW decoding built in so it plays You Tube 4K without a problem.

Overall it's a very good Kodi box that provides a slight upgrade in PQ from the Chromebox & the added bonus of HW HEVC decoding. Triple head monitor outputs if that's your thing. 4 USB 3.0 ports. No SD card slot. Plastic box feels a little cheap but much easier to deal with by not using a 2.5" drive. Buy it. Buy me one too. Big Grin
@Karnis:

Thanks for you experience! Smile

A question, though: How loud is the fan?

In general, I am trying to ban any moving parts from my Living Room. So I would prefer a system that is cooled in an entirely passive way. But the 3000 version of the Beebox seems a little under-powered to me. Maybe not for my media in general, but I would prefer to have some headroom should I encounter a task where more CPU power is needed.

That is why I would prefer to buy the 3150.
(2015-12-21, 17:27)eversteegt Wrote: @Karnis:

Thanks for you experience! Smile

A question, though: How loud is the fan?

In general, I am trying to ban any moving parts from my Living Room. So I would prefer a system that is cooled in an entirely passive way. But the 3000 version of the Beebox seems a little under-powered to me. Maybe not for my media in general, but I would prefer to have some headroom should I encounter a task where more CPU power is needed.

That is why I would prefer to buy the 3150.

I was curious about this too and have been assured it's very silent. Waiting my 3150 to arrive Smile Also somewhere on the latest pages of this thread I have posted about some chinese fanless alternative to the beebox 3150.
The only time you can hear the fan is when it fires up at reboot, otherwise it's a non-issue.
OK, Thanks!

That sound reassuring enough.

Although my hearing can be very critical.... what some people can classify as "inaudible", I can hear sometimes Wink. But in my country, there always is the opportunity to return an item to the reseller, should it become a problem Tongue
I have been running the 6.0.98 on an n3000 BeeBox for a week or so now and I've had a couple of freezes. Picture and sound stop and the box stops pinging. I can't find any logs from around the time of the crash to upload. Any suggestions?
(2015-12-22, 06:57)Shaddow825 Wrote: I have been running the 6.0.98 on an n3000 BeeBox for a week or so now and I've had a couple of freezes. Picture and sound stop and the box stops pinging. I can't find any logs from around the time of the crash to upload. Any suggestions?

As a really rough starting point you could bench/loop test the RAM with memtest86 - a stock Fedora install has it as a boot option for certain, or just aquire and 'dd' the image to usb stick. I've had RAM creep/heat issues like that in the past.
(2015-12-22, 21:34)NightFlight Wrote:
(2015-12-22, 06:57)Shaddow825 Wrote: I have been running the 6.0.98 on an n3000 BeeBox for a week or so now and I've had a couple of freezes. Picture and sound stop and the box stops pinging. I can't find any logs from around the time of the crash to upload. Any suggestions?

As a really rough starting point you could bench/loop test the RAM with memtest86 - a stock Fedora install has it as a boot option for certain, or just aquire and 'dd' the image to usb stick. I've had RAM creep/heat issues like that in the past.

I was thinking it could be heat related as the top gets pretty warm since there is no fan. I am thinking it's not a ram thing (other than heat) as this is the same ram that was in my chromebox that had been running perfectly for many months (including the last few with the same exact code)
If you want to test for heat, just take the cover off and give it a workout.

I didn't really like .98, I had a couple issues with it as well, black screen + white mouse.

I find booting with OE 6 official & then updating to .95 works well for me.
Just got my Beebox last night.

Upgraded from official Openelec 6.0 to Fritsch OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151222101432-r21616-g643f16c and had some weird results.

I know i need to upload a debug log (which I will do when i get a bit of time, had some problems at work last night) but I wanted to see if anyone had expereinced the same issues as me.

Loading up went ok but all strokes on remotes (Microsoft MCE remote and Beebox remote) takes two actions EG: press to scroll left once and it goes to clicks to the left.

I also couldnt see my shared DB on my mysql server. I have a RPI2 upstairs that shares the library.

Has anyone else expereined the same?
What is everyone doing about moving moving from Kodi v15, i'm currently using Fritsch's 6.0.95 (Kodi 15.2) build and will want to update my BeeBox to v16 as and when I'm doing my other pi2 boxes. As there is no Fritsch Kodi 16 is everyone just going straight to Kodi 17?
(2015-12-23, 10:41)innyinskip Wrote: Just got my Beebox last night.

Upgraded from official Openelec 6.0 to Fritsch OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151222101432-r21616-g643f16c and had some weird results.

I know i need to upload a debug log (which I will do when i get a bit of time, had some problems at work last night) but I wanted to see if anyone had expereinced the same issues as me.

Loading up went ok but all strokes on remotes (Microsoft MCE remote and Beebox remote) takes two actions EG: press to scroll left once and it goes to clicks to the left.

I also couldnt see my shared DB on my mysql server. I have a RPI2 upstairs that shares the library.

Has anyone else expereined the same?

In the openelec config, check the box that says to wait for network before starting Kodi to get the MySQL stuff figured out. No Clue on the remote stuff as mine works just like I would expect.
@dave77

Will definitely not move to a non-EGL version again. Spoiled for life I guess... Wink
Kodi 17 is extremely interesting due to it's major redesign, but no option for my living room for the very same reason. So, I will simply keep enjoying 15.2 EGL for the time being.
(2015-12-23, 14:27)dave77 Wrote: What is everyone doing about moving moving from Kodi v15, i'm currently using Fritsch's 6.0.95 (Kodi 15.2) build and will want to update my BeeBox to v16 as and when I'm doing my other pi2 boxes. As there is no Fritsch Kodi 16 is everyone just going straight to Kodi 17?

I am in the same situation and am waiting to see how it plays out. I am hoping the db version between kodi v16 final and v17a1 at least in the beginning are the same. Or that he does a backport of current work to v16 fnial like he did for v15.x. It may be too far diverged for that tho at this point I do not know.
Curious and a noob what does EGL stand for?
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASRock Beebox (Braswell)3