• 6(current)
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer
(2016-01-01, 01:35)fritsch Wrote: I think your username tells everything ... Memphiz is a friend of mine ...

and that tells me enough about you, congrats
(2016-01-01, 01:35)fritsch Wrote: I think your username tells everything ... Memphiz is a friend of mine ...

He doesn't actually hate Memphiz. It's a joke between them, IIRC.
@iHateMemphiz: The good thing is that you use "my" software and I don't have to use yours :-)

@NedScott: If the team decides that every platform gets a special release - I vote for releasing Linux with the new Videoplayer, the VAAPI rewrite, the EGL code, the 4k 60hz support, the VP9 hw acceleration code in a separate branch. Would be great for our users wouldn't it? (All tested since ~ 6 months). Edit: I forgot about the hw accelerated DVD Playback.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-01, 01:40)fritsch Wrote: @iHateMemphiz: The good thing is that you use "my" software and I don't have to use yours :-)

looking for something else given these cranky developers. pick up your tools and build your own house, blah blah blah
(2016-01-01, 01:40)fritsch Wrote: @iHateMemphiz: The good thing is that you use "my" software and I don't have to use yours :-)

@NedScott: If the team decides that every platform gets a special release - I vote for releasing Linux with the new Videoplayer, the VAAPI rewrite, the EGL code, the 4k 60hz support, the VP9 hw acceleration code in a separate branch. Would be great for our users wouldn't it? (All tested since ~ 6 months). Edit: I forgot about the hw accelerated DVD Playback.

Honestly, I would support that. If you or Fernet tell me that something is stable then I will believe you guys.

The decision to make special releases for each platform should be made by the team. Maybe it's a bad idea, because over time it wouldn't be maintainable? I don't know. However, Martijn, as the release manager for v16, makes the final call if an agreement can't be made in order to prevent a stalemate.

I know I've made mistakes about respect and trust as well. I made the huge mistake of not trusting da-anda with the logo stuff a year ago. It took me a long time to understand how wrong I was, and how disrespectful that really was to him and to the team. Even if I was in the right about the disagreement (I wasn't, but just as an example), I would still wrong because I didn't trust him.
Quote:The decision to make special releases for each platform should be made by the team. Maybe it's a bad idea, because over time it wouldn't be maintainable? I don't know. However, Martijn, as the release manager for v16, makes the final call if an agreement can't be made in order to prevent a stalemate.

Yeah - that's exactly the reason we don't do that. platforms go into different directions faster than you can look. Later you end with caring for every hack in every version, cluttering the independent code or even writing code twice. And hey - don't be too hard to yourself - next time we are in the same country we go to drink a camomile tea or something :-).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
FWIW, I mostly agree with what Ned said.

And the way he was basically kicked off the team is one of the straws he speaks about, btw.

Interestingly, him being kicked off (after some stupid behaviour on his part he recognized ) already has its roots in an outrageous internal post by FM targeted at me, who wanted to skip android altogether for Jarvis because I was too slow to his liking to adapt the platform to his new architecture. I actually proposed my resignation back then, already.

So yeah, there is some backstory and accumulation at hand, here...
is there any chance the internal fighting between team Kodi members could be kept on a different thread? I have great respect for all the work going on to create Kodi in general and the audio pass through work @Koying has been able to do in a short time - for me it has confirmed that my decision to dump a full blown windows 7 PC running Kodi for an Nvidia shield TV was the right decision - the family are certainly enjoying it much more.

What we are specifically discussing here is supposed to be about Android audio pass through - I can see all sides here, but at the end of the day, anyone with large media collections is simply looking for a solution for HD audio pass through. The Nvidia Shield TV is one of the few platforms that allows for this feature to be implemented, so perhaps it does need a different fork to keep things back on track until which stage the mainline Kodi branch is able to handle this specific feature entirely.

Ian Bird from Plex is in discussion with both Nvidia and Google with regards to HD audio pass through and the likelihood is that will be resolved in the next few months - so for me once this is resolved I'll keep using Kodi for the PVR front end and I'll shift my movie viewing (for local collection) away from PleXBMC back to native Plex for my local movies.

The infighting doesn't help the Kodi cause and I'm personally not a fan of forks as their use cases are always limited compared to the wider audience (which can slow innovation) but ultimately people just find whatever works best for them.

...but a big thanks to all on the Kodi Team both current and ex members for creating an incredible piece of software that has gone on to inspire many forks such as Plex etc. happy new year to you all!
(2016-01-01, 08:21)ashleyw Wrote: is there any chance the internal fighting between team Kodi members could be kept on a different thread? I have great respect for all the work going on to create Kodi in general and the audio pass through work @Koying has been able to do in a short time - for me it has confirmed that my decision to dump a full blown windows 7 PC running Kodi for an Nvidia shield TV was the right decision - the family are certainly enjoying it much more.

What we are specifically discussing here is supposed to be about Android audio pass through - I can see all sides here, but at the end of the day, anyone with large media collections is simply looking for a solution for HD audio pass through. The Nvidia Shield TV is one of the few platforms that allows for this feature to be implemented, so perhaps it does need a different fork to keep things back on track until which stage the mainline Kodi branch is able to handle this specific feature entirely.

Ian Bird from Plex is in discussion with both Nvidia and Google with regards to HD audio pass through and the likelihood is that will be resolved in the next few months - so for me once this is resolved I'll keep using Kodi for the PVR front end and I'll shift my movie viewing (for local collection) away from PleXBMC back to native Plex for my local movies.

The infighting doesn't help the Kodi cause and I'm personally not a fan of forks as their use cases are always limited compared to the wider audience (which can slow innovation) but ultimately people just find whatever works best for them.

...but a big thanks to all on the Kodi Team both current and ex members for creating an incredible piece of software that has gone on to inspire many forks such as Plex etc. happy new year to you all!

IMO, proper HD audio passthrough will come in 17 before Plex does it in their app. Just so you're aware, the Plex team use their own codebase now so it's not really based of XBMC anymore. They seem to be ever so slow with development times over there (and that's speaking as a fan of their products). Compared to Kodi, it's like night and day. I wish it was faster but looks like shield owners will have to wait for proper implementations.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2016-01-01, 12:06)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-01-01, 08:21)ashleyw Wrote: is there any chance the internal fighting between team Kodi members could be kept on a different thread? I have great respect for all the work going on to create Kodi in general and the audio pass through work @Koying has been able to do in a short time - for me it has confirmed that my decision to dump a full blown windows 7 PC running Kodi for an Nvidia shield TV was the right decision - the family are certainly enjoying it much more.

IMO, proper HD audio passthrough will come in 17 before Plex does it in their app. Just so you're aware, the Plex team use their own codebase now so it's not really based of XBMC anymore. They seem to be ever so slow with development times over there (and that's speaking as a fan of their products). Compared to Kodi, it's like night and day. I wish it was faster but looks like shield owners will have to wait for proper implementations.

Plex has hired wm4 the mpv key developer. A very good developer we worked together in the past for VAAPI / EGL to get it into mpv. I think they will heavily speed up. But hey - kodi does not sell software - we write opensource code and everyone using our code or learning from our code (given credits of course, what he did) is a good thing.

@koying: To get this discussion away from users. I replied you in internal forum. Don't forget the outcome of the discussion you brought up: No platform has special rights, all advantages over android at this time, were decided to have to be delayed for v17 - to keep our idea of a cross platform player with all platforms having equal rights.
(2016-01-01, 12:12)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-01-01, 12:06)danjames92 Wrote:

Plex has hired wm4 the mpv key developer. A very good developer we worked together in the past for VAAPI / EGL to get it into mpv. I think they will heavily speed up. But hey - kodi does not sell software - we write opensource code and everyone using our code or learning from our code (given credits of course, what he did) is a good thing.

@koying: To get this discussion away from users. I replied you in internal forum. Don't forget the outcome of the discussion you brought up: No platform has special rights, all advantages over android at this time, were decided to have to be delayed for v17 - to keep our idea of a cross platform player with all platforms having equal rights.

Yes I found that out recently as there is no GUI option to limited the RGB to 16 - 235 (like there is in Kodi) so had to make a mpv.conf edit which only works if I don't use hardware decoding! Always seems to be a compromise of some sort when it comes to Plex! Tongue Will stick with PleXBMC and Kodi for now, now if only those 17 alpha builds would start! Wink
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
Never really replied, until now.

Just wanted to thank koying for his hard work on the experimental build.
Passtrough with HD Audio really works excellent. I hope you will remain on the Kodi team to make it perfect.
But for now: THANKS!

Happy user from Holland
Please can a forum moderator clean up this thread and remove all the arguments?

It's very unprofessional and not the place in a public forum for all to see.
I've started to lose respect for the Kodi team seeing all this. Regardless of who is right or wrong, it's not the place in public.
This isn't good PR either...

Thanks Koying for all your hard work. Hope this isn't your final decision to leave.
(2016-01-01, 13:09)danlat1415 Wrote: Please can a forum moderator clean up this thread and remove all the arguments?

It's very unprofessional and not the place in a public forum for all to see.
I've started to lose respect for the Kodi team seeing all this. Regardless of who is right or wrong, it's not the place in public.
This isn't good PR either...

Thanks Koying for all your hard work. Hope this isn't your final decision to leave.

It's a fascinating look into how the program is made and priorities are handled. It's a debate and a very interesting one at that. You aren't to decide what is good or bad PR for Kodi so keep it to yourself please.
(2016-01-01, 13:18)danjames92 Wrote: It's a fascinating look into how the program is made and priorities are handled. It's a debate and a very interesting one at that.

And that's exactly the reason I made it public, after numerous previous incidents that were kept under the carpet.
Now, I agree that the thread should be split though...
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer3