• 30(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
(2016-01-10, 18:23)Vlaves Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 14:37)wrxtasy Wrote: ...
Here is OpenELEC 6.95.5 / Kodi 16.0 Jarvis beta5 for those that want a nice smooth GUI for OE / Kodi:
OpenELEC 6.95.5 / Kodi 16.0 Jarvis beta5 HERE

Enjoy !

Thanks for that Openelec build. Made me rethink what to buy Smile So I'm thinking now to buy these parts here:

Just for this part I'm not sure if I need it:
or a SD card is enough. If so, which SD card to buy?

Will these let me play all h.264 files (like from a full high bitrate blu ray) and do a verry good h.264 1080i deinterlacing? Also is it possible to play mpeg2 SD progressive channels?

Thanks for ur support here again Smile

Regards
Vlaves
Yes the new bug fixed Mali GPU drivers that I have gone into the S805 C1+ and the WeTek Core, have made these OpenELEC devices nice little Kodi machines indeed. Finally no GUI tearing, its all smooth and quick.

When I purchased, I bought a Case, Hardkernel Sandisk 8GB Class 10 SD card and the C1+ That was it.
Spare buttons used for BD functions on my Sony remote, control the C1+ using IR. This works exceptionally well and is fast. HDMI CEC also works on my new TV (although it a bit slower for some reason)

The S805 uses little power, and does not have the power issues that some users of RPi2's do.
I run mine off an old iPad1 charger with a usb to micro OTG power cable and have no issues.
USB peripherals attached are a powered usb HDD, usb TV Tuner and sometimes a FLIRC.

You really only need an eMMC Module if you are doing lots of write operations, like running a Linux desktop or maybe a Server or compiling a lot.
OpenELEC will still be fast with a bog standard Class 6 SD card, it does not do hardly and write ops. I recommend the cheapest Class 10 Sandisk you can find.

All the Video you mentioned will play well. H264 , H265 , mpeg2, 1080i. TV viewing is good.
I tested out the 100Mb/s H264 Jellyfish test file last night over Ethernet, and no issues. Bluray bitrates come in well under that.

All AMLogic users encounter problems trying to play Interlaced mpeg2 .vob's from DVD ISO rips.
Its a known Kodi / AML issue.

PS. Black or Blue case recommended. The Clear ones are not so nice.

(2016-01-10, 18:45)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-01-10, 18:23)Vlaves Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 14:37)wrxtasy Wrote: ...
Here is OpenELEC 6.95.5 / Kodi 16.0 Jarvis beta5 for those that want a nice smooth GUI for OE / Kodi:
OpenELEC 6.95.5 / Kodi 16.0 Jarvis beta5 HERE

Enjoy !

Thanks for that Openelec build. Made me rethink what to buy Smile So I'm thinking now to buy these parts here:

Yes the new bug fixed Mali GPU drivers that I have gone into the S805 C1+ and the WeTek Core, have made these OpenELEC devices nice little Kodi machines indeed. Finally no GUI tearing, its all smooth and quick.

Thank you so much for the support and information Smile

Is it possible to "wake up" TV and to put it into standby via CEC?
Put the C1+ into standby - TV goes off
Wake up the C1+ - TV turns on and switches to HDMI port

Too bad ther is nothing like this for the C1+: Link for a Case

Regards
Vlaves
(2016-01-10, 19:49)Vlaves Wrote:
(2016-01-10, 18:45)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-01-10, 18:23)Vlaves Wrote: Thanks for that Openelec build. Made me rethink what to buy Smile So I'm thinking now to buy these parts here:

Thank you so much for the support and information Smile

Is it possible to "wake up" TV and to put it into standby via CEC?
Put the C1+ into standby - TV goes off
Wake up the C1+ - TV turns on and switches to HDMI port

Too bad ther is nothing like this for the C1+: Link for a Case

Regards
Vlaves

That case may well also work with a C1+. The C1+ and the Pi B+/2B are close to identical in size and have the 4 mounting holes in the same place. I suspect it is likely it would fit (though accessing the uSD card would require you to unscrew the board) Also the IR receiver built in to the C1+ wouldn't work I suspect. The only possible area that could be an issue is the uSD card - it does protrude a tiny amount. (Using eMMC would solve that - though it isn't needed for OpenElec and is expensive compared to a uSD card)

The reason most Pi cases don't work on the C1+ is the slight difference in port layout (basically Power on the C1+ and Composite+Analogue Audio on the Pi / Pi 2 are in slightly different positions)
(2016-01-10, 19:56)noggin Wrote: That case may well also work with a C1+.
... the IR receiver built in to the C1+ wouldn't work I suspect.

Thanks for your answer Smile Yeah, thats the main reason why I wouldn't even try that case, cause that ODROID remote is perfect it seems Smile

Even better if the CEC implementation is working as I would need it. Then I could get rid of the TV remote too Smile

Regards
Vlaves
That RPI2 case would work for the C1+ as they are the the exact same dimensions and the screw holes to attach it to the bottom of the case are in the Exact same spots.

In fact nearly all the ports on both are in the exact same spots. The only thing that would not work is the C1+'s IR receiver as the IR signals would be blocked by the Case and that would be a problem.

The HardKernel cases are slightly Transparent to allow IR signals through.

The C1+ is so low powered I just leave it on 24/7. No Wake Up from Suspend, like you get with a HDMI CEC on a RPi2.

The new C1+'s SD card slots in flush with the side of the board. Its a better design in a more convenient spot too.

(2016-01-10, 20:08)wrxtasy Wrote: That RPI2 case would work for the C1+ as they are the the exact same dimensions and the screw holes to attach it to the bottom of the case are in the Exact same spots.

In fact nearly all the ports on both are in the exact same spots. The only thing that would not work is the C1+'s IR receiver as the IR signals would be blocked by the Case and that would be a problem.

The HardKernel cases are slightly Transparent to allow IR signals through.

The C1+ is so low powered I just leave it on 24/7. No Wake Up from Suspend, like you get with a HDMI CEC on a RPi2.

The new C1+'s SD card slots in flush with the side of the board. Its a better design in a more convenient spot too.

Not quite wrxtasy. Just checked my C1+ - the Power port on the C1+ isn't co-located with the Pi 2's 3.5mm socket. However ISTR you can power the C1+ via the Micro USB OTG port - so that might not be an issue for you? However the uSD card does appear to not be entirely flush with a 32GB Samsung EVO card in position. It's only protruding by a small amount - but I wouldn't claim it was entirely flush.
(2016-01-10, 20:08)wrxtasy Wrote: That RPI2 case would work for the C1+ as they are the the exact same dimensions
No Wake Up from Suspend, like you get with a HDMI CEC on a RPi2.

Thanks Smile So maybe I should go then with that round case and use a Bluetooth remote like the Amazon one instead.

What Bluetooth USB dongle you would reccomend? Is that bluetooth "stuff" then supported under the Openelec build from you, like in the Openelec distribution on pc? Mean am I then able to pair the remote then within the GUI?
Just get this one when you order the rest of the gear:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...1656580698

Any BT 4.0 with a Cambridge Silicon Chipset would work I would think, they are pretty common.

Just checked my cheapie, its a CSR one as well and pairs fine with a keyboard using OpenELEC.

Yes that would all work Smile

Remember you also get HDMI CEC control if you have a compatible TV, it a bit basic though.

(2016-01-10, 20:34)wrxtasy Wrote: Just get this one when you order the rest of the gear:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...1656580698

Any BT 4.0 with a Cambridge Silicon Chipset would work I would think, they are pretty common.

Just checked my cheapie, its a CSR one as well and pairs fine with a keyboard using OpenELEC.

Yes that would all work Smile

Remember you also get HDMI CEC control if you have a compatible TV, it a bit basic though.

Thanks a lot Smile Helped me a lot to deside what to buy.
I'm about to order my C1+
I am planning to try the FLIRC Pi2 case (I already have one of those for my Pi, so can test fit before I buy another)
https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-case
It is a nice case, very pro-looking - similar style to my NUC case (albeit much smaller of course)
As mentioned, the IR receiver will not be accessible - although it might be interesting to drill a hole in that location! Big Grin
I typically use a keyboard so it's not big deal for me.
I take note of the observations regarding the SD Card protrusion, but it should not be an issue on that side of the board.
And will use the Micro USB OTG for power
I'll update how it fits once I receive the C1+
Hi!
I'm currently using a RPI2 running OpenElec as my daily driver mediacenter.
I want to upgrade it with the C1+ because of 1080p HEVC support & I want a faster UI too.

Is it now stable enough for every day usage? I need it to playback 1080p content including blu ray from an external hard drive. Is it worth the upgrade? Thanks guys
(2016-01-17, 13:48)ben492 Wrote: Hi!
I'm currently using a RPI2 running OpenElec as my daily driver mediacenter.
I want to upgrade it with the C1+ because of 1080p HEVC support & I want a faster UI too.

Is it now stable enough for every day usage? Is it worth the upgrade? Thanks guys

If you don't need HD Audio and are happy with stereo and DD/DTS bitstreamed, and don't need Full HD 3D (i.e. MVC decode with Frame Packed output) you'll probably like the C1+. It's not quite as polished as the Raspberry Pi 2, but the UI is a bit snappier (though with the recent sync fixes it feels a bit less fluid, though without the UI tearing of older versions), and you get 8-bit 1080p HEVC hardware decode (no 10-bit).

Downside is the kernel is quite a bit older than the Pi / Pi 2 one and so newer hardware is less likely to be supported (DVB tuners, WiFI dongles etc.) - but if you don't need Live TV, and use Ethernet (or get a supported WiFi dongle) you'll be good to go. ODroid have replied to my comment asking if there will be a newer kernel, and they said they weren't working on it.

(I can't get my DVB-T2 dongles working on my C1/C1+ - but they are absolutely fine on a Pi 2...)

Support is mainly 'wrxtasy' for OpenElec - and he's great. But there is only one of him...

BIG caveat for the ODroid C1/C1+ (and the Wetek Core) - is that DVD VIDEO_TS/VOB and ISOs with native interlaced comment don't play properly. 25p stuff can now play OK (as there is no deinterlacing to speak of) - but there are issues with the hardware MPEG2 decoder (or drivers) that mean software decoding is needed, and there isn't enough horse power for software MPEG2 decoding AND deinterlacing, and it doesn't yet appear as if the hardware deinterlacer can be persuaded to deinterlace software decoded MPEG2... (Bottom line - you get stutter or combing on native interlaced stuff like music concerts)
Thank you very much!
I don't mind since I don't watch music concerts or Live TV.

Does it handle heavy skins well? My RPI2 is a bit slow with heavy skins.
Oh & I have an external HDD powered by my rpi2. Is it going to be ok with the C1+? Or do I need to buy a powered USB hub?
(2016-01-17, 14:08)ben492 Wrote: Thank you very much!
I don't mind since I don't watch music concerts or Live TV.
You're probably OK then.
Quote:Does it handle heavy skins well? My RPI2 is a bit slow with heavy skins.
I'm Confluence only I'm afraid, as I run development builds and other skins aren't usually updated as quickly.
Quote:Oh & I have an external HDD powered by my rpi2. Is it going to be ok with the C1+? Or do I need to buy a powered USB hub?

Not sure - don't know how the C1/C1+ handles USB power handling. (The Pi 2 has the config.txt option to increase USB current)
(2016-01-17, 13:53)noggin Wrote: (though with the recent sync fixes it feels a bit less fluid, though without the UI tearing of older versions), and you get 8-bit 1080p HEVC hardware decode (no 10-bit).
I've just realised the Mali_GPU_TURBO has been taken out of the new Kernel I'm using. When put back in its nearly as fluid as the old pre GPU drivers-fixed version, but without the GUI tearing Smile

@ben492
- Some low powered USB3 external HDD's work fine if you use a proper power supply I'm told. Not sure about others as I don't have a proper HardKernel power supply to test

- Tried AEON NOX skin, and I'm not having any issues, you can Overclock the C1+ and its as stable as at Max settings (1.73Ghz). And this is when using an old iPad 1 charger for power.

• 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051