• 13(current)
[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS9 if you want AirPlay to Kodi
Hi,

I am using Volumio version1.55 as an audio player on a spare Raspberry Pi model B.
The Airplay service on this device is working like a charm.

What I find strange is that version 1.55 is released on February 2015 and in between there was a change from iOS8 to 9.
And Airplay (Audio) is still working...how did they manage that? I don't even get a sound from Openelec 6.0.1/Kodi 15.2
I just updated from 15.2 to 16.0 RC3, and was delighted to find working Airplay audio with metadata and thumbnails using iOS 9.2.1!
i guess ios updates brought the metadata back then - we didn't do anything against the missing metadata (because we can't)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I think something has happened in jarvis rc3. Earlier with rc2 my iphone couldn't even connect to my osmc device but after the rc3 update my iphone connects now well. And I'm usin ios 9.3 beta 3. With that ios I still can't hear any sound but ios sends sound to airplay device. So maybe the handshake is no ok and needs just little bit tweaking to get the sound.
We still didn't do anything ... i have no idea what osmc diddles around - but official team kodi didn't touch airplay since month ... (and in case you still didn't read it - for having audio support on ios9 clients you need to switch off video and picture airplay support in kodi in settings->services->airplay).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Can you please somehow add in Kodi support for multiple devices, as described in the attached link?

https://github.com/juhovh/shairplay/

I'm running 2 osmc jarvis rc3 instances, and airplay only works on one device at a time (the last one rebooting), because, as described in the shairplay github page, "shairplay advertises over mDNS in the form 485D607CEE22@Dining Room Speakers where 485D607CEE22 is a MAC address. This is hardcoded to a nonsense value, which is not a problem so long as it's unique. However, if you run multiple Shairplay instances, iOS devices will only recognize one of them. To fix this, supply the --hwaddr option with different values on each device."

Apparently the option --hwaddr can be added as a command line parameter, however I guess Kodi accesses the library directly, so I guess the only option to do it would be somehow from inside Kodi. Is this something that can be passed as a parameter by kodi, or does it need to be set while compiling libshairplay?
you have 2 devices which have the same mac? or do you have 2 instances of kodi running on one device? Kodi doesn't hardcode this - it determines the mac adress from the network interface and uses it (it has to match the real mac - faking a mac might bring issues with certain ios clients...
Hi Memphiz,

I have 2 devices with different macs and different hostnames (one rpi1, one rpi2) - that's not the issue. The problem is in libshairplay, as you can see from my quote above: when it broadcasts itself, shairplay has a hardcoded value, which can be customizable through a command line parameter, but that parameter is nowhere editable in kodi.
I think you missunderstand - kodi doesn't use any hardcoded values when interfacing with libshairplay. Please post a debug log (wiki) from both of your kodi instances - maybe airplay starts up before your network is up - that would result in hardcoded mac adresses because they can't be fetched from non running network interfaces...
It's not me that dreamt the hardcoded mac address and I'm not claiming kodi is assigning it, either. It's something which is part of the release notes (readme.md) of libshairplay.

Please go to the link https://github.com/juhovh/shairplay/blob.../README.md and check out the part starting with Multiple instances.

Now, since you state that Kodi doesn't pass any paramater to libshairplay (not even sure if it accepts it as a library or only as a command line when running shairplay), most likely the default, hardcoded value is broadcasted by kodi as well, for all instances inside a network.

The local mac address of any of the devices running kodi has apparently nothing to do with the identifier used to broadcast the airplay server.
No kodi has its own zeroconf announcement system - we don't use the one from libshairplay. You can pretty easy see what your kodi instances announce if you simply run something like bonjour browser on a computer in your network. Or just look into your debug log and you see what kodi announces (should be the mac address from the network device of the device kodi is running on). I have maybe 6 to 7 kodi devices in my place and i can distinguish all of them at the same time.

What makes you think that we would do something stupid like announcing a hardcoded mac address?
You are right, thing is after having read the libshairplay release notes it seemed like the easiest explanation. Restarting kodi with both raspberries already booted makes it possible to stream music using airplay to multiple devices.

I will try to enable the wait_for_network option on the 2 raspberries, to make sure we have everything in place before launching kodi.

P.S. As a side note, you do announce a fake, hardcoded, mac address, but only when a real one cannot be read Smile And the times I wasn't able to send anything to it, it was showing 000102030405@osmc. Wink

Code:
if (net)
  {
    m_macAddress = net->GetMacAddress();
    StringUtils::Replace(m_macAddress, ":","");
    while (m_macAddress.size() < 12)
    {
      m_macAddress = '0' + m_macAddress;
    }
  }
  else
  {
    m_macAddress = "000102030405";
  }

Nevertheless, thanks again for clearing my doubts, you pointed me in the right direction.
i told you that a couple of posts above iirc
(2016-02-13, 18:36)Memphiz Wrote: We still didn't do anything ... i have no idea what osmc diddles around - but official team kodi didn't touch airplay since month ... (and in case you still didn't read it - for having audio support on ios9 clients you need to switch off video and picture airplay support in kodi in settings->services->airplay).

Ok, I still couldn't find any settings where I can disable video and picture airplay. Under airplay settings there is only enable airplay, allow volume control and use password protection tabs.
sounds like a too old version of kodi then? (or expert level is not selected at the lower left of the settings screen)
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS9 if you want AirPlay to Kodi3